I may try another Chrysler Alternator to replace the cs130
      - I got a 100amp it looks like the alternator on the top

Comment

dude you really need to just buy a welder, they're so cheap

sounds like the power just isn't sufficient

James
        www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

hhahahah man i love ur creations it looks awsome but yeah id buy my own welder cuz u dont want to weld on a muffler and then think its fine and drive down the road and then come home witout a muffler :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
            dude you really need to just buy a welder, they're so cheap

sounds like the power just isn't sufficient

James

Well the problem is that - you cant buy a 100% duty cycle
            welder cheap - plus I want a gas powered welder, and you
            are money ahead to make your own - thay cost $1000
            and up - used - and $2000-$3000 or more new

I might have spent about $300 so far -

Plus I have seen alternator/welders work - and there are lots
            of peeps on the internet that say they work good, so I am
            doing somthing wrong - I should be getting about 100amp

I am going to check the diodes

Comment

I have a few of those diy welder pages bookmarked. I'd like to try one out sometime. Could having 2 alternators on that belt be bogging down the engine enough that you're not getting your 100 amps? Shouldn't need the smaller one anyways, right? Good luck.
              '03 Acura 3.2TL Type S
              '04 Buick Rainier, factory nav
              '99 Honda Shadow 1100

-8" Lilliput TS, laptop, (too) large inverter, and I'm nowhere near putting them anywhere.

For Sale!

Comment

Originally posted by mjd932
                I have a few of those diy welder pages bookmarked. I'd like to try one out sometime. Could having 2 alternators on that belt be bogging down the engine enough that you're not getting your 100 amps? Shouldn't need the smaller one anyways, right? Good luck.

I think something is not right about my setup - I put a heavy duty
                100amp Chrysler alternator, on the bottom - I was using that small
                one to try to weld

I am getting the same thing - sparks but no welding - so its not the
                alternator, I think its the RPM - I think I need a 6 or 7 inch pulley
                on my motor

the funny thing is the motor is not even straining - I dont think
                there is any load on the motor, and from what I hear it should
                almost stall my 6hp motor

Comment

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~weinfurt/gaswelder.html

From all the projects I looked up they only used one alternator. This one here uses a chrysler alternator (no buiilt in regulator like the gm ones). Maybe going with that larger pulley will speed up the belt enough to get you those 100 amps.
                  '03 Acura 3.2TL Type S
                  '04 Buick Rainier, factory nav
                  '99 Honda Shadow 1100

-8" Lilliput TS, laptop, (too) large inverter, and I'm nowhere near putting them anywhere.

For Sale!

Comment

Originally posted by mjd932
                    http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~weinfurt/gaswelder.html

From all the projects I looked up they only used one alternator. This one here uses a chrysler alternator (no buiilt in regulator like the gm ones). Maybe going with that larger pulley will speed up the belt enough to get you those 100 amps.
                    I got the alternators wired to do different things - and a switch for each
                    to turn the field off, only one welds, but yea its got to be RPM

I am going to rip the diodes out of the welding alternator
                    and replace with 600v 40amp stud mount diodes on a external
                    heatsinks

should be a monster
                    Attached Files

Comment

not enough friction on the bottom pulley

I know this is an old post but I just had to say something. This isn't an rpm issue or a problem with the alternator. It is a mechanical engineering problem. The belt touches the bottom alternator just slightly, maybe 10-20% of its circumference. When you get 20 amps or more of current of welding off that alternator, it may be 30 volts at 20 amps or 600 watts. No matter how tight that belt, you can't transfer almost a horse power with that little bit of surface area. In other words, when you get up to a certain power, the pulley for the welding alternator is slipping. But you can't see that at the time and of course you can't hear it with the engine going and revving up. The easy fix is to swap the two alternators. The one on top doesn't need a lot of power so should do fine in the bottom position. The top pulley has a good wrap with the belt.

The other option is to get a tensioner pulley. They aren't there to keep tension. The real purpose is to make the belt wrap around the pulley more than it would without the tensioner. You would have to get a longer belt though.

Just remember, you might try to weld with up to 80 volts and 100 amps. That is 8,000 watts of power. That is 10 hp. But even if you just wanted 5 hp (plenty for welding most things) then you would need a couple of hundred pounds of bearing force due to the belt tightness. And that is based on 180 degree belt "wrap". In the current setup with only 60 degree wrap, then you would need so much belt tension that the belt would snap.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Richard
                      http://PoorManGuides.blogspot.com/
                      http://PoorManGuides.net

Comment

This is old but I've tried to do this too with a CS130. It just doesn't work. I have mine mounted to an AMC 360 engine that resides in my jeep. I wanted to build an on-board welder but it won't arc. It just sparks. I got my engine up to 4000 rpms and it stil doesn't work. It gets extremely hot but will not weld.

I was really hoping the OP could come back with some updates. My thread about my build is here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=1#post9984562

Comment

Why not just get a Used HO alt from off a Car audio site, I see them all the time. SInce its not specific to a car (in your case) You can get them.

realmofexcursion.com
                          caraudio.com
                          soundsolution.com

Comment

I had heard you could do this with the CS130s so I gave it a try. The best alternator to use is the Ford's with the external regulator. Simple and easy. I got this one for $10 so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Also, the voltage coming out was only 29 volts. You'd need at least 60 or better. I'm still hoping the OP will show up with a few answers.

Comment

Originally posted by McCracken View Post
                              This is old but I've tried to do this too with a CS130. It just doesn't work. I have mine mounted to an AMC 360 engine that resides in my jeep. I wanted to build an on-board welder but it won't arc. It just sparks. I got my engine up to 4000 rpms and it stil doesn't work. It gets extremely hot but will not weld.

I was really hoping the OP could come back with some updates. My thread about my build is here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=1#post9984562

Lol mine to, never got it to work, I tried all kinds of stuff,
                              but never tried a wider belt, its sitting dissembled right now,
                              I was going to look into the Zena welder, but got side tracked and
                              needed a welder right then and there ended up getting the
                              Miller Thunderbolt XL 225 AC/DC stick welder, I set it at 90amps AC
                              and weld all day with it, - I still want a portable welder, but its
                              going to be a long time

BTW I hear its better to use 24 volt alternators

also look here
                              BUILD A $20 PORTABLE DC ARC WELDER

we must be doing something wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X