Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sparks when hooking up coax?(kinda long)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sparks when hooking up coax?(kinda long)

    ok i just got a tv card for my home pc. i installed it and set up the drivers. then i powered down the machine and unplugged it. when i accidentally touched the end of the coax to the back of the case sparks flew! they flew again when i touched the connector on the card with the end of the coax. well i did a little trouble shooting and found that it only does this when the monitor is plugged inot the computer. any ideas on how to fix this (sorry for the long post!) thx,
    etrik
    "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

  • #2
    My comp does the same thing, I've even gotten a little shock once or twice. I just ignored it and I havent had any problems.
    Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

    Comment


    • #3
      Doesn't sound right/good. I have an ATI AIW Pro and have never had that problem. What type of card are you using?

      ODYSSEY
      ODYSSEY

      Originally posted by Tidder
      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
      Digital-Car UK|

      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

      Comment


      • #4
        ive gotten a shock of a coax network cable

        thats all
        cheers
        pcman

        never heard of being shocked of a tv out tho

        must try it NOT
        donate to my team in the ****box rally all proceeds go to the cancer council http://www.everydayhero.com.au/dodgy_mechanics

        Comment


        • #5
          its an stb desktop tv. its made by 3dfx.
          dartman: we're not talking a little shock, we're talking like it leaves black char spots where they touch! did you just hook it up anyways?
          etrik
          "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

          Comment


          • #6
            No, i never got black char spots, i think it has only happened a half a dozen times, it doesnt always happen. But I have seen/felt sparks and I just plugged it in and dont have any problems.
            Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by etrik:
              <STRONG>ok i just got a tv card for my home pc. i installed it and set up the drivers. then i powered down the machine and unplugged it. when i accidentally touched the end of the coax to the back of the case sparks flew! they flew again when i touched the connector on the card with the end of the coax. well i did a little trouble shooting and found that it only does this when the monitor is plugged inot the computer. any ideas on how to fix this (sorry for the long post!) thx,
              etrik</STRONG>

              If it is the coax from the cable company it is because the cable company and the computer are not sharing the same ground potential. The sparks are not a problem is you just discharge the cable to the case and not some IC on the motherboard. It isn't a problem and shouldn't cause any problems having the sparks unless they are huge and knock you unconcience.
              MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
              www.mpegbox.com

              Comment


              • #8
                how would i go about discharging the cable? if i hold it to the case, the sparks just keep coming. thanks for all the help
                "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  It might be caused by a cable splitter/amp somewhere up the line. We just had cable hooked up at our new place, and the installer used a splitter/amp and it's powered by a wall wart located inside the house. The power adapter is hooked into the coax line, through a 2 way splitter, and feeds out to the amp on the side of the house. The adapter is rated for 15VDC, 300mA, which just might be enough to char up your case a bit. Plenty to cause the sparks.

                  Not necessarily a solution, but at least a possible cause.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hmmm... Try sticking your tongue in there next time to absorb the discharge...

                    ~m
                    PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
                    Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
                    BC ROCKS!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      wooo... i think i will come to ur house for 4th of july celebration.
                      abcd-1
                      Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                      You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's normal. Just a difference in grounding points. All my TVs do it.
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          aaron:
                          how do you hook up the cable then? it literally melts the metal at any point of contact...?
                          "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That sounds like a big problem. Have you tried calling the cable company? It sounds like they are having grounding issues if you are getting that high of a current. Another solution would be an isolator box, but the cable company should provide it.
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X