Cellular Phones & IR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellular Phones & IR

What can be done with the IR thing that my Nokia phone have? Is there a way to "program" it to do something useful with My PC or Palm?

The manual for the thing don't even mention it...

depends on which Nokia model you have. On some phones there is no actual working IR behind the panel. Like the Nokia 6185 with Sprint PCS. There are a bunch more that are useless. I bet since your manual doesnt mention it that it is infact non existant. Too bad.

Comment

I was under the impression that all of the older nokia 61XX series didn't have IR if it was a US model. The UK and other region folks could do interesting things like beam phonebook entrys, upload ring tones and power-on bitmaps...

we got the shaft.

any UK people know if this is right?
      I cheat, I own an empeg.
      Meskimen's Law: There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.
      http://civic.mp3car.com

Comment

The model for the thing is 6120.. so I suppose it is just a fake plastic cover...

Comment

yup. Works with AT$T right? Then it is fake

Comment

Originally posted by nester:
            <STRONG>I was under the impression that all of the older nokia 61XX series didn't have IR if it was a US model. The UK and other region folks could do interesting things like beam phonebook entrys, upload ring tones and power-on bitmaps...

we got the shaft.

any UK people know if this is right?</STRONG>
            I have a Nokia 8210 with IR, and have used it with a Palm to transfer phonebook entries (they trasnfer as virtual business cards) ringtones and logos. Also you can play 2 player snake via IR!

so to answer your question fjmedinaa, you can use your nokia with your palm. cool eh?
            Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

No you cannot use your nokia 6120 with your palm. The IR panel is fake. Only GSM carriers use the IR functions, not AT$T

Comment

I have an IR port on my Ericcson CF888 Global phone (love the phone)

It can talk to the palm, ( as a modem or just to xfer phone book stuff) or the pc.

The pc sees it through its IR port, and the phone can then be used as a modem for internet access. the down side, my GSM carier in the US ( Powertel) only supports transfer speeds of 9600 Kbps, so I use another phone (sprint / Samsung) with a serial cable, for nex access.
                Gizmo-
                Techonlogy on Wheels
                http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

Working...
                X