Aluminum Fabrication. Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Fabrication. Anyone?

I have a carolina skiff j-14 and would hate to have to instal the stock fiberglass bench seat. my idea is to have a single sheet of (probably 1/8") aluminum bent twice.

a carolina skiff fiberglass bench is $66 for the basic, so I wouldnt want to spend too much more then that for an aluminum sheet that is cut and bent. I have a drill press so all I'm asking is the cut and bend.

if you have access to this kind of equiptment, and live (generally) near ocean city/frederick maryland I would really appretiate it(obviously, theres some money involved too.) I'm looking to spend around $70 for the entire project, but I'm not aware of the price of aluminum.

heres is my idea: (63" wide, 20" deep, 4" tall)
    Attached Files

basically the bench in this picture, but in aluminum.
    Attached Files

Comment

If all goes well on the bench. an aluminum front deck would match nicely.
      for around $90 (harder cuts)

if the round cuts arent easy/possible for your tools, a straight edge would look pretty sharp too.
      Attached Files

Comment

as of now, my seating is a rubbermaid box.

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
          I'm looking to spend around $70 for the entire project, but I'm not aware of the price of aluminum.

heres is my idea: (63" wide, 20" deep, 4" tall)
          I don't live in the area, but to inform you of the price of that kind of aluminum: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for part # 9134K146: $52.64 w/out shipping.

Edit: Fixed Link
          Old plans out the window because of an accident .
          Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
          Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

my result came up with square tubing

I dont think it should be more then $40 for just the price of metal(I hope)

theres a 'reliable metal supply' shop near me, I'll have to stop by and check out their prices on aluminum. I only wish I had the tools to cut and bend it.

Comment

I guess I could go down to 16" allowing me to just use the standard 24" width...
              I wish they sold a 24"x63" sheet... maybe there are other steps I could take to make the chances of finding a piece that size more possible... I'm gonna go out back and see if maybe I could just bolt it to the gunell instead on sitting on top of them. hopefully thats only 60"

I think my chances of finding a 24" by 60" sheet are greater then 28" by 63"

Comment

so...okay I made a mistake. I took that 63" measurement from what websites say. the boat being 64" wide...but they are including the rubber bumper and exasurating....so it turns out, a perfect sized bench would be 60" long, and 16" wide.

a nice, blank aluminum bench would look much nicer than the fiber glass, thrown-paint designed p.o.s.
                Attached Files

Comment

alright, after some thought, if someone can cut a 60" by 20" shape for me. thats all I need. I came to a conclusion that a flat piece of aluminum with either fiberglass or teak(or maybe even just fiberglasses 2x4's)under would would work perfectly.

Comment

sorry for the crude drawings, btw.

but now I'm just asking for whats in grey.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I see what I did wrong, I found the price for something 2 1/2 _inches_ wide, not 2 1/2 _feet_ wide. Aluminum is usually pretty expensive stuff: you're going to do better getting the fiberglass unless you can salvage some scrap metal from something else.

A 1/8" x 48" x 24" piece of aluminum (not even long enough) is going to run you at least $60 without shipping (part #88895K66 at mcmaster.com - otherwise search for "aluminum sheet" then click through for the right dimensions you want - the search is weird, it returns different things if you search for thickness first then width then length, or other combinations). You might get a better price by butting 2 pieces together, but then you'll have the seam to worry about.

Comment

I forgot to post this: the machine needed to bend the aluminum is called a brake. It works by clamping the sheet metal in place and having a chunk of metal fold up to bend along a straight line. To bend 1/8" aluminum that long, you'll need to find a pretty heavy-duty one, probably a hydraulic one.

Which makes it good that you decided to make it out of a single sheet There's a machine that does the cutting there too: plate shears. If any of your friends has one of these, they must be VERY into fabrication: those tools really belong in shops. And to cut 1/8" aluminum, it'll have to be a hydraulic one. The shop at my college had one, so maybe if you can find a friend in a local tech school or community college, the shop supervisor might let you cut to size for a nominal fee or even for free.

Otherwise you're stuck using (in order of preference): a plasma cutter, a cutting torch, a big bandsaw, a hacksaw blade clamped in pliers, or a dremel. You're most likely to find someone with a cutting torch, but be careful if you do because it'll leave a really jagged bad finish on the edge that'll need more work if you don't want to cut your legs on the bench as you sit on it.

You might do well to think of using thinner material, or just fiberglass :P Plywood or fiberboard wouldn't look too bad, but I'm no expert in sealing them to prevent rot.

Comment

well yeah, I was kind of hoping someone had a metal-shop class or something that would be accessible to such tools. didnt expect my neighbor to have a hydrolic plate shear in their garage

I would really hate to use fiberglass(use the stock bench) because of looks, and fiberboard is too flexible (in 1/8" pieces, obviously.)

thanks for your help rpi.

maybe I'll get lucky and find a friend with access to proper machinery around me. or maybe I could just buy the damn peice straight out of reliable metal.

Comment

the boat has a unique pattern on the inside to deflect light....an ugly pattern nonetheless. the stock bench, accordingly, has the same pattern and theres no sense in painting it, so I just figured aluminum would look nice, and last a while.

Comment

I'm goin for a stealth look. instead of the cheesy, cheap, stock look.

Comment

Working...
                              X