Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what you think.... Off topic among friends

Just thought I would ask.....

I built a website for a golf company. I will be maintaining it as well let me know your opinions so far.....

This is not an advertising plug I make money for designing the site not saling the product.

www.bigdogcustomclubs.com
    -+[MP3PC]+-

Not bad, eh, however two things.

1) background images are tabo on business web sites
    2) the header needs work and needs to be slimed down. Idealy you want it to be no larger then 200pix high or so, and to include a company logo.

Scott--
    -=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-
    97 Firebird Formula Convertable - Project R/T
    Project R/T SoundDomain Page

Comment

Unfortunatly I was unable to talk the company out of the backround usage. I will see if I can find a way to scale the company logo down.
      -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

Actually, the background image is not that bad at all.

But you need to make your GIFs transparent so you don't get those nasty white edges...
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

also the logo looks a bit jagged, try blur or antialiasing it...
          the logo is the first thing u set your eyes on
          My Setup

Comment

this is one of the sites I work on.. http://www.dealofday.com/ .. though I did not do the graphics or layout on this one, I did all the back end programming.

Background images are mainly used just to keep the format of the page laid out correctly. Though with a light background you can get away with it, however Aaron Cake is correct. The images need to be clear gif's so they do not look stupid with the white box around them..

Scott--

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: DarkWolf ]

Comment

Thanx for all the advice so far. Any suggestions on promoting this site? Is there any really good pay services to do it for you....?
              -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

i like it but i have to scroll horiaontal a lot on a 800 x600 screen evn when i uped it to 1280 x 1024 i still had to scroll a bit is there a way to slim it down a bit
                You gave me fortune, You gave me fame
                You me power in your God's name
                I'm every person you need to be
                I'm the Cult of Personality

Comment

Originally posted by mp3pc:
                  <STRONG>Thanx for all the advice so far. Any suggestions on promoting this site? Is there any really good pay services to do it for you....?</STRONG>
                  Two words... Mailing list...

There is no other "good" way to advertise on the net. People have grown to ignore banners of pretty well all shapes and sizes, but mailing lists always bring better results, specially if they're targeted to who you're looking for.

With targeting in mind, you will wish to check into this; http://www.postmasterdirect.com

It's expencive, as you're targeting to people who like golf.

Another idea is to find lists with more of an open field of people. Not to push our own, but it's a good example none the less, and we have quite a few people on the lists;
                  http://www.worldvillage.com/advert.html

One last thing to keep in mind.. CPC = Cost per click.... CPM oddly enough = Cost per thousand (impressions). Some places will do a CPC ad run, but most stick with CPM.

It's not hard to advertise right on the net, it's just a matter of finding where to do it, and making sure you don't go over budget. Top placment ads in news letters can run a couple of hundred, all the way up to a thousand. Just have to look around.

Also, one other thing you will want to think about besides advertising via someone else. Well, two things, actually.

1) Word of mouth reward advertising: What it is, is that you run a contest for something each month. Within this contest you also give people a chance to invite friends to enter as well. When they invite friends, you give them one extra chance per email that they enter.

2) Have all enteries into the said contest subscribe the users to YOUR OWN mailing list (Don't subscribe the invites though. It's a matter of ethics and privacy). This way once a month they can be sent info about specials and such. You also build up a list where you can make a secondary income via advertising within it through either direct advertisers, or through affiliates programs.

Any questions?

Scott--

BTW: One last thing, since I noticed you do have a contest thing.. You REALLY need to ditch the contest via email thing. If I was to promote your contest, you would end up getting some odd 1000+ emails at least. I could whip up a CGI if you like to handle it via a flat text file with an invite reward. Let me know if you're interested. I trust you have FTP ability on the site to download the DB at the end of the month and delete.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: DarkWolf ]

Comment

How hard would the CGI page be to create? I do have the FTP access. I also like your idea to add friends to the form. I over looked that idea.
                    -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

if anyone needs fast, cheap hosting, drop me an email. I help run hostingplace.net and we are one of the fastest around. running on we offer both Unix and NT.
                      2004 F-150
                      Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
                      "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

A quick and dirty contest CGI would take some odd 30 min or less to do. Field requirement checks would add a few min. Otherwise what you'd be looking at as it seems is this.

* User comes to site, sees contest
                        * Clicks enter, popup window comes up of the CGI
                        * fields include (Name, Email, Addr, Etc) and a single text box to enter invite emails (comma seperated list)
                        * User fills it out, error check takes place, all info filled out that's required to enter?
                        * User gets additional entery per friends email, along with the single entery which they started with
                        * Script writes info to a text file, named contest.YYYYMM.txt based on the date of the servers clock.

That's it, really pretty easy, though on the down side they could enter fake emails to get more chances. This is acceptable though as most will not.

BTW, sorry for the slow reply, haven't been watching the forum much, been busy.

Scott--

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: DarkWolf ]

Comment

I'm interested if your willing to point me in the right direction with a site with some sample code or if you have some you have writen in the past......
                          -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

Working...
                          X