Another off topic... Help me SQL, Access 97, Web

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another off topic... Help me SQL, Access 97, Web

I have designed a very useful database at work using Access 97. What is the best way to get it online? It uses Tables, Forms, queries, Reports and macros. PLEASE HELP ME
    -+[MP3PC]+-

Does your web server use Windows, or the better choice of Linux?

If it's Linux, just make it with MySQL on the box..

Scott--
    -=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-
    97 Firebird Formula Convertable - Project R/T
    Project R/T SoundDomain Page
    -=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-

Comment

I believe that Access 2000 has inbuilt option of creating web pages incorporated with Access database. I think Access 97 has it too.
      The easiest way to link this with web is to run IIS server and link Access with it.
      IIS comes with Win NT and Win 2000.
      There is another one for Win9x but i dont think it will work with Access.
      Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
      Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

if you want the functionality of the access database, which I think you do since you mentioned forms/reports/macros then you best bet is to look into what Fosgate is talking about. From memory I think Access has a "web portal" add-in, letting you use access from a web browser via an IP address.

If only the tables and data is really required, maybe look at building a website using a scripting language such as .asp or .php with the database. ASP supports access databases directly and runs under IIS with win NT/2000 and Personal Web Server (PWS) under Windows 98....

if it can be done, the first solution will be the most painless and quickest.....
        Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

It is window NT soon to be 2000. It is running IIS. I do not have direct contact with the IIS server but I pass on my needs for them to be completted. I did notice that access has an export feature but I was lost using it. Not sure what to point things to and what format to use. I also don't know what info the IIS manager needs to modify on his box. Any help or a URL would be great.... Having the macros, reports, and forms is important.
          -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

Just one minor detail, beware that Access doesnt scale well. If you dont expect a lot of trafic on your site it wont be a problem, but if you expect more than a few simutaneously (i just cant spell that word..)
            you may run into problems because Access locks entire tables when processing data from it, MSDE/MSSQL server only locks the record in concern...

Appart from this detail i believe the others have supplied you with the information required..

Good luck

Comment

Doesn't the access-export feature add a lot of junk in the html/asp pages.. like frontpage was doing...
              This would also slow the pages down..

If you have any skills with access and you know how to write VB(A),
              Then the easiest thing to do is build a site from scratch..

You can connect to the database in 2 different ways.. use odbc or not...

When I got first into this i went to brinkster
              Because I didn't have a server then.
              You get 30megs ASP enabled website, and there are lots of tips and articles for beginners..

Hope this helps you out..

PS.. I remind something that you could run ASP-pages on a linux or unix server using... Cake for linux ???!?!?!??!?! (don't know the exact name anymore)

Greetz
              Raas - The Netherlands
              ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
              GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Some pertinent information:

Access has a built-in limitation of 256 connections.

You mention forms and reports: you will need to create a new front end application to duplicate these in your favorite web scripting language (ASP, PHP, PERL, etc..)

Here is a pretty decent page to get you started on your way. It has a step-by-step to help you set up your ODBC conection and use Access's built in web export stuff.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Meatballman ]

Comment

Originally posted by Raas:
                  <STRONG>
                  PS.. I remind something that you could run ASP-pages on a linux or unix server using... Cake for linux ???!?!?!??!?! (don't know the exact name anymore)
                  </STRONG>
                  Are you referring to ChiliASP? Or is there a free alternative?

Comment

We have 700 plus users but it is Very unlikely that we have more than 10 users in it at a time MAX. Perhaps there is a way to just launch access 97 from a link in a website. EVERYONE has access installed and it is an Intranet website. I am really hoping to be able to use my current macros, forms, and reports.
                    -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

I would recommend against simply copying the MDB file to a network share to allow multiple users to view/change data. You have to remember that an Access MDB is still just a flat file and has no client/server technology built into it. More info - http://advisor.com/Articles.nsf/aid/BALTA15

If you want multiple simultaneous hits on the database, you should install a database server (MS-SQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc.) on a machine that all clients can access, import the data, then use Access as a front-end to it via ODBC and/or SQL pass-through. Otherwise, you'll end up with massive network traffic and potential table-locking issues - http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q225/9/85.ASP

Regards

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: cj ]

Comment

Originally posted by Meatballman:
                        <STRONG>

Are you referring to ChiliASP? Or is there a free alternative?</STRONG>
                        ChiliASP is one off them, but I'm sure there is this free thing... (dammit.... I really don't like it when i can't recall something...)
                        Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

cj is right, but be aware that you can not export your access forms, it is only tables, views, queries etc that can be moved to an SQLserver. Btw MSDE is free (Microsoft Data Engine) and it is pretty much the same as MSSQL (it has some user limits and missing functions, but i doubt you will miss them)

I cant remember if MS fixed Access so a file can be opened by more than one user (in access). If you use an odbc connection over an asp site there are no problems since its just one connection.

I think you should sit down and do a bit of testing and figure out what problems you are willing to accept versus how much of your present code you can use

Comment

Let me give you guys an idea what I am doing..... Basicly my database is a constructed of menus that point to forms for example If a manager is hiring a new person they will key in all the user info and click on all the software check boxes that they will need access to. When completed the click submit. Based upon the check box selections it will generate reports that look like our previous hand completed forms. By feeling out one thing they may have generated 5 or 6 of the needed request forms (reports). I also have a macro that determins who in my company get what forms and it add the persons name and location on the bottom of the form. The database is not important. However the forms, reports, and macros are.

My clunky thoughts now: Because this is an intranet website I placed the access file out on the web and made a link to it. When you click the link it suggest downloading or opening the file. If you select open the file takes 5 to 10 seconds to fully open. I can deal with that. If they use it often it loads faster because it is now local. Do you know of any active x or any other code that I can have the file automatically download and open with out that popup box to confuse the users? I have been to sites before that automatically downloaded and installed things on my PC. (scary) If I do this I realize I will be losing the database portion of the database. From what you guys are saying about SQL I will be losing the most important things Rpt, frm, macro...

I am alos thinking about an artical I was reading about using SQL in the back and having access link to it in the front. I wish microsoft would have made this easier.... does it get better in 2002 / XP?

Blah blah blah I will stop now.....
                            -+[MP3PC]+-

Comment

I cant remember if MS fixed Access so a file can be opened by more than one user (in access). If you use an odbc connection over an asp site there are no problems since its just one connection.
                              Yes, it can be opened by multiple users. You can also open it exclusive so that other users won't be able to access the database

Greetz
                              Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X