X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compaq Portable III

Hi,

this is partially off topic,

Im the website for the Compaq luggable website at http://firstibmclone.ohgo.com which has loads of info on old these 1980s portable PCs.

Just thinking, I like the form factor of the Compaq Portable III computer

Id like to know if it would be possible to completely gut it and put a new computer in there. If you have seen those new Sony Viao desktop PCs you will understand how cool a small box with a TFT screen would look )

I was wondering if a 10" or so TFT monitor and microatx motherboard and small power supply would be able to fit inside?

heres an exploded diagram of what the PortIII looks like inside:

and
    http://www.ambry.com/assets/images/Portable386.GIF

anyone else think this would be a cool hack??

I am not interested in overclocking or anything but if a TFT panel and small motherboard (with onboard video and sound card etc) just a modern computer stuffed inside this old 1980s clunker would be really sweet )

Definately a neat idea. Not sure if you'd be able to get a standard motherboard in there, but you could use an SBC like the Advantech ones. These can be found for cheap on E-Bay, and a big plus is that they include a controller for an LCD. Also, because they run entriely on +5V, you might be able to use the existing power supply in your portable unit.
    Have fun!

Comment

Ok - I'm definitely a geek... I actually think that piece of $#!T looks cool...

~m
      PII 266, 512 MB RAM, 10 Gig, 36x CD-ROM, 16x DVD, DeLorme GPS, 5.6" LCD Screen, Dschmidt power controller, Keypower ATX DC-DC Supply, PowerAmp Macro controller, Dauphin mini-Kbd.
      Sony Head Unit, Sony Unilink input selector, rear deck Kenwood 6x9's, stock door spkrs... All in my '96 Civic, of course :}
      BC ROCKS!!!

Comment

I have one of those guys in my basement, sitting beside one of the original IBM "portable PCs" (basically a desktop case with a 9" monochrome CRT beside 2 5.25" disk drives and a flip down keyboard).
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
        X