No announcement yet.

new Australian car stereo laws - argh!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Australian car stereo laws - argh!

not sure what states this applies to, but in my state (Victoria) is sure does. New laws have just been passed by police to enforce on-the-spot fines to drivers with music playing too loud in their vechicles! argh! The fines are around $200 from memory.

What do ppl think think of this? Im not sure if they mean windows down, blaring... or if just the "rumble" of subs in the distance is enough to get you in trubble.

I'm not one to show off my system, but on the other hand with my music tastes (dance/house/trance/drum n' bass/RnB) I do like my music loud,clear and with bass - not to impress anyone else, but for me!

seems like the law is set to take away all our fun and enjoyment!
    Project - GAME OVER :(

gay, and thats one big fine too

do they measeure the sound u playign it at or just go bah i dont like that guys taste in music, let get him.

Comment

Over here - in the states, we've had laws like that for years... They typically call the law a Noise Ordinance, and refer to violations as "Disturbing the Peace." A friend of mine once got a ticket for listening to the stereo too loud - he was parked in a parking lot jsut next to a small residential area and school, cranked the volume (to show off his system a bit) just as a 5-0 (cop) rode by on his motorcycle... The fine was in the range of $200, but was later dropped in court. Either way, it is totally based on the mood of the police officer, as to whether to issue a fine or just a warning.

Jonathan
      JZ CarPC - 1998 Volvo C70
      Shuttle SV-24 Celery 400Mhz 128MB SDRAM 60GB HD DVD, 12.1" VGA TFT LCD, Sproggy/Mastero DC-DC ATX PSU, Mucha ATX shutdown controller, Co-Pilot GPS

Comment

Well....
        How would they check??
        Are you sure it isn't just a joke???

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyBoy:
          <STRONG>Well....
          How would they check??
          Are you sure it isn't just a joke???</STRONG>
          oh sheesh.... why would I write this if it was a joke? im not quite as gullable as some of the ppl here (hint hint!)

WakeAndSno didnt realise that was the case in the states. I guess u are right, if a cop wants to cause u trubble he will always find something wrong with your ride...
          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

They've had a law like that in NSW for some time (about 3-4 years). It's not just police that can issue the fine either. I think local council rangers can issue them.

Comment

man, you Australians are getting screwed left and right. First with the speed limit reduction and now the stereo law.
              2004 F-150
              Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
              "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Hmm...
                well...
                I dont have a good car sterao system anyway..

Comment

I heard that
                  if cop( outside of your car) can hear any or some of your music when you are playing music and closed windows.. Then they can give you a ticket..

I also heard that the ticket will be published totally based on cop's mood....

it's their choice.. huhu.

so i always volumn down when i see cops around me.. huhu
                  Started
                  <A HREF="http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/zp3/" TARGET=_blank>
                  http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/zp3/</A>

Comment

Originally posted by RaZor:
                    <STRONG>man, you Australians are getting screwed left and right. First with the speed limit reduction and now the stereo law.</STRONG>
                    telstra (monoplay phone/mobile/cable internet) is upping sms and mobile fees and 3gig transfer limit on cable and adsl accounts.

so full of $hiT!

Comment

Noise laws are stupid. Apparently, they might do this in the uk, but they say the will measure the noise level.

I mean, even if they did measure the amount of decibels; it would be an inaccurate reading. This is because music is made from wavelets - meaning the volume is not constant. I cant really see any possible way these measurements could stand up in court, unless you were listening to a sine wave at a constant volume
                      My Setup

Comment

Here at MS State University, the campus newspaper prints all of the police reports (its a very small town). At least once a week, this one is in there:

Wednesday, 2:43 PM -- Student was referred to the dean of students for playing amplified music while driving on (insert street name here)
                        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                        I'M DEBT FREE!!
                        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC:
                          <STRONG>Here at MS State University, the campus newspaper prints all of the police reports (its a very small town). At least once a week, this one is in there:

Wednesday, 2:43 PM -- Student was referred to the dean of students for playing amplified music while driving on (insert street name here)</STRONG>

Uni. Of Southern Mississippi has that in the school paper. I got a noise ordaniance violation ticket on campus in my accord (When i still had it) and I had the windows rolled up. WTF? It was embarrassing too, because it was a bicycle cop that pulled me over. I look up and i see this little Huffy looking bike with flashing blue lights on it. Now that I look back on it, its funny, the ticket was only like $25.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Squeezer ]
                          24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
                          2000 Honda S2000

http://www.squeezer.net

Comment

Last time i check the law down here it was 95-96dbs as a limit for a car stereo or noise from the car itself.
                            And i dont thing your everyday cop would have an idea how loud 96db is.
                            So the first thing you do is you arguee that the stereo wasnt aat 96dbs or over...
                            And simply ask him to prove it. Let see the look on his face after that!
                            Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
                            Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

I actually thought that the cops could get you for playing music too loud, thats why i have my remote in my hand, and my finger ready to hit the ATT button (mute)

96dB, thats about the legal limit for car exhausts too, my car is above that, and i havn't been done yet, (or my blue parking lights )

I think that it will be entirly up to the cop if you get a ticket or not, isn't every thing tho?
                              http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                              Australian mp3car Portal
                              mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                              mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                              -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Working...
                              X