Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 hard drives in 2 years...

Well,

I'm now offically in the market for a Laptop hard drive. My second drive since june or july of 1999 has come to it's death.

The first drive, a Fujitsu 8.4 gig took a year and about 10 months to die.. It's been replaced and installed in another system.

The second drive, a 30 gig Maxtor only lasted for 2 months in the car.. It had lived in a server for a year prior to becoming mobile.. It's soon to be sent back for repair..

So what notebook drives are good? I was thinking IBM.. I can't seem to find a place that sells both the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and the drives in the same place.. *sigh*
    I cheat, I own an empeg.
    Meskimen's Law: There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.
    http://civic.mp3car.com

Watch eBay... I found a new 30GB toshiba laptop drive for $200. They retail for about $350
    www.compgeeks.com has the adapter for $3.95 and I think $2 shipping.
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

yeah i saw that.. actually.. all the 30g drives on pricewatch are about 200..

with the 20 going for ~110.. i think i'm going to go 20 gig...
      I cheat, I own an empeg.
      Meskimen's Law: There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.

Comment

I've been using an IBM travelstar 20GB laptop drive for a few months and it's been good to me.

S.M.A.R.T. monitoring says it's quite healthy.

I don't have any special mounting for it. It's just velcroed onto the floor of the trunk so that it doesn't slide around. My suspension is relatively soft, but not floaty.
        Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).
        Car: 1993 Nissan Maxima, Black Emerald

Comment

well that was the bad part.. SMART on boot said everything was cool.. but when i hooked the drive up last night (after it stopped booting correctly) and ran Maxtor's power diag tools, it ran the 90 second smart test and it failed..

I actually got all the MP3's off the drive.. I was amazed. However the partition with all the useful information (config files, etc) were gone... these are the bends.. I've got an advance RMA coming from maxtor, and i'm on the search for a new drive. we shall see.
          I cheat, I own an empeg.

Comment

I have had no problems with my Fujitsu 6.4Gig drive. Startech.com sells the adapters for around $10.
            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

lucky u didnt loose your mp3 collection, id die if i lost mine, i gotta back em up one day/weeek/month

Comment

Well I actually considered starting clean.. and I may still do it.. I have 90% of the music on my workstation.. this way i start off fresh.. weed out some of the old stuff.
                I cheat, I own an empeg.

Comment

If mounted properly, NO HD should go back unless it is defective. Take it from me, if you do it correctly, it wont die.
                  abcd-1
                  Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                  You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

define mounted correctly.
                    I cheat, I own an empeg.

Comment

I'm getting pretty ****ed.

I've had no HD or CPU problems. But first I had a BookPC which arrived with busted ethernet. I exchanged it. Got it back and it worked great for a while, then the tv-out died without explanation or warning but it worked fine otherwise.

So I got an MS-6215. Works great for a month. Now windows gives serious msgrvfr rundll32 etc errors, and suggests I reinstall.
                      Reformatting and reinstalling gives the same errors so it can't even do post-install setup.

Disabling all onboard components that I can, same result.

Really friggin tired of this.

If I were just doing mp3s, at this point I'd just buy a damn empeg or something rather than dealing with flaky solid state circuitry. But I like CoPilot 2001 and haven't seen anything else, that's third party (i.e. doesn't come with car) that compares and I don't want to give it up.

Argh.
                      If I have to build a new system, I think it'll be with a fullsize mobo, and PCI cards for everything.

I'm SICK of this crap.
                      Player: Celeron II 633MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB IBM 9mm 2.5" Laptop HD (180G/2ms), onboard ethernet/sound/video/tvout, 10"11"x3" case, MPBS1 70W DC-DC PS w/auto-shutdown controller, in-dash lighted switches, 7" NTSC TFT widescreen in-dash LCD, touchscreen, rear-window brake light installed Garmin GPS35 GPS, credit card sized IR remote w/IRMan, mini-wireless keyboard/mouse (sits under seat), PowerMate black knob, MP3s and GPS Navigation (Winamp, CoPilot, SA8.0).

Comment

Despite the size issues, I have to agree that cards and non intergrated motherboards are the way to go, after my bookpc fiasco.
                        I cheat, I own an empeg.

Comment

Alright, I found the problem. It was a DIMM starting to go bad.

The DIMM used to be fine, I had made sure to reseat it in case it came lose.

But it's behavior indicated some other problem, as it would always fail while probing for devices.

But I tried installing Win2k and got a data corruption error on loading the setup program for Win2k, and then at a different point next try. The change in the times it happened and that it happened when so little of the machine was being used (no device probing being done), made me try putting in a new DIMM..

and now it works

*sigh*

Comment

At least memory is cheap.
                            I cheat, I own an empeg.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Enwesi:
                              <STRONG>If mounted properly, NO HD should go back unless it is defective. Take it from me, if you do it correctly, it wont die.</STRONG>
                              Then why have I had to replace 2 HDs before I got my laptop HD? Of course, I am assuming I mounted in correctly...
                              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
                              X