Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faster HD access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Faster HD access

    Hi,

    This is a question to the pros (or semi-pro's)

    I am battling at work to make an application run faster. We run a basic server, and the application is quite Database heavy, but is not yet running on SQL.

    It has slowed down quite alot recently due to more information going on. I have upgraded the RAM, but that hasn't achieved much. The HD is a basic IDE 100ATA. Would I get much better speed by going SCSI ??? And if so, what type of Card and HD will I need, and what are the various numbers (like spin speed, transfer speed) etc to look for.

    Thanks for your help.

    Matt

    PS. There is no SATA on the server MB

  • #2
    Sounds like you need to profile your system to see just *where* your bottleneck is.

    -g.

    Comment


    • #3
      one word: RAID

      correctly configured can dramatically increase hard drive read/seek times

      BUT you will have to run performance monitor first to see where the bottleneck on the server is...
      Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

      Comment


      • #4
        What are the specs on the server? Make, model, speed, mem, everthing?
        www.bradleyjacobs.com

        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Matthew230
          ...the application is quite Database heavy, but is not yet running on SQL.
          So what DB is it running?

          (If you say Interbase I am going to smack you with a salmon)
          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
          I'M DEBT FREE!!
          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

          Comment


          • #6
            Filemaker Pro....
            EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

            Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
            Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
            Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
            BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
            VoomPC 2

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gnomad
              Sounds like you need to profile your system to see just *where* your bottleneck is.

              -g.
              and what program is that?

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you for your various replies.

                The Server is nothing too special.

                2.4Ghz P4, 2mb Ram, 80gb 100ATA HD, and I think the MB is Intel S845GLC.

                How do I find out where a bottle neck is ??

                and how do I find out what Database is running ??

                Thanks,

                Matthew

                Comment


                • #9
                  Chances are this is a software problem rather than hardware!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Matthew230
                    Thank you for your various replies.

                    The Server is nothing too special.

                    2.4Ghz P4, 2mb Ram, 80gb 100ATA HD, and I think the MB is Intel S845GLC.

                    How do I find out where a bottle neck is ??

                    and how do I find out what Database is running ??

                    Thanks,

                    Matthew
                    Ask the guy that set up the server what database he put on there

                    You have to use some profiling software to find your bottle neck. Google will produce plenty of results.
                    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                    Installed.


                    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Matthew230
                      It has slowed down quite alot recently

                      Have you done basic maintenance, like defragging the drive, and re-indexing the DB?
                      www.bradleyjacobs.com

                      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by xBrady
                        Ask the guy that set up the server what database he put on there

                        You have to use some profiling software to find your bottle neck. Google will produce plenty of results.
                        Thanks,

                        Just to be sure, is it what the Server has, or is the database held by the application ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by blurp
                          Have you done basic maintenance, like defragging the drive, and re-indexing the DB?
                          Tried De-fragging the HD, though it won;t let me do it properly. Even tried with perfectdrive, though for some reason I can't do a offline defrag. The drive is very fragmented.

                          Don't know how to re-index a DB, any suggestions ??

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Matthew230
                            Thanks,

                            Just to be sure, is it what the Server has, or is the database held by the application ?
                            Depends. It could be using a SQL DB, or it could be something like MS access, which is part of the app.
                            www.bradleyjacobs.com

                            There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Matthew230
                              Tried De-fragging the HD, though it won;t let me do it properly. Even tried with perfectdrive, though for some reason I can't do a offline defrag. The drive is very fragmented.

                              Don't know how to re-index a DB, any suggestions ??
                              AHA! There's the first thing you need to take care of. If it is incapable of defragging, you might have some corrupt data, or the HD might be too full, or the OS might be hosed. What OS is it?
                              www.bradleyjacobs.com

                              There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X