Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Question

Hi,

I recently came by some spare RAM that would fit my desktop.

Only problem is that at the moment, I have 2 sticks of 256mb at 400mhz, and the extra RAM is 2 sticks of 256mb at 266mhz.

So if I put it in I imagine it would all run at 266mhz.

So which is better 1gig at 266 or 512mb at 400.

I have an asus P4800E mb and P4 2.4 800mhz.

Any comments appreciated..

Matt

512MB at 400mhz.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That depends. For what I do I couldn't run off of 512MB and so it would be better to run the 1GB. Load up windows and open as many programs as you typically have open and see how much memory you are using in the task manager. If you are getting anywhere close to 512MB then I would put the other two stick of RAM in. If you are no where close then stick with the 512MB.
      AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
      Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
      Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
      -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

512MB @ 400MHz. The faster the ram can communicate with the processor, etc... the better.

My 2Cents

Peace,

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

sell all of them and buy either one 1 gig or two 512. Depends if you want to buy another 1 gig for it later. Im assuming you only have two slots.
          I GIVE FREE HUGS!
          Buy Sell or Trade
          If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
          Thank you
          Forex
          Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jjh221
            sell all of them and buy either one 1 gig or two 512. Depends if you want to buy another 1 gig for it later. Im assuming you only have two slots.
            No I have 4 slots, I just assumed that if you put in 2 x 256 @ 400 and 2 x 256 @ 266, then it will all run at 256 ???

Comment

im not really sure, i just did a quick search and some reading. Your computer is running at 800mhz so your ram is running at 400 and 266. The 400 should run fine but the 266 might cause crashes. Also i think it will run at 266mhz if you use all 4. I would think that would also be true unless the ram is used seperate So if i were you id go get some RDRAM. Its expensive but wth.

I dont know im a hick.
              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
              Buy Sell or Trade
              Thank you
              Forex
              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster
                512MB @ 400MHz. The faster the ram can communicate with the processor, etc... the better.

My 2Cents

Peace,

Rafster
                So you prefer using your hard drive to store the memory if you use more than 512mb? Ya, that is much better.....
                AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by xBrady
                  So you prefer using your hard drive to store the memory if you use more than 512mb? Ya, that is much better.....
                  haha, that's not an issue for me, I have 2GB PC3200 (1GB, 2X512MB). But, I'd rather when my computer doesn't need all that ram, to run as quickly as possible.

Peace,

Rafster
                  Post # 3000

Comment

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm
                    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                    Buy Sell or Trade
                    Thank you
                    Forex
                    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

The mere fact that you are asking this kind of question leads me to believe (I could be mistaken, it all depends on what you are doing with the PC) that you would never notice the difference in speed, so go with 1GB @ 266.
                      www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                      X