Electirc Bill problems!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electirc Bill problems!

Every month my electric bill is more then my parents house with 4 people living there. How much more like a hundred dollars more a month. They have 4 to 5 computers and run loads of laundry all the time.

I don't understand how thats even possible.

At my house its just two of us a roomate at the front house and me in the back house he is rarely home and uses his tv a computer thats it. I have a computer on all the time but from before I was here he said the bill was high like this.
    We both have all new refrigiators ES complaint...

Roomate is screwin me on the bill

or

Electric company is

What are somethings I could possible check on with this?
    2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

are you ure you're not tapped? I'd check all the electric lines that com in from the ouside (pole) to your house, and see if it goes to the neighbour somewhere... Than if it's fine, install a meter to your house, and to your roommates. You can track how mich he/you are using, exacly.

Than calculate the cost based on the base price. Like $.50/1Kw (made up number) and devide it with the use. If it's lower than your bill, and none of you are overly using, screw he electric conpany, and ask them for proof that you use what they state you use. Companies these days are way too greedy...

Good luck.

Comment

maybe your roomate is growing some herbs in his closet and not telling you

.______
      | '_ |__\___
      [(o)|___(o)] XB
      ._________
      | I__I I_I|_\__I
      [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

At the apartment, do you have electric heat and bad insulation? An electric stove? Electric water heater?

Likewise at your parents: do they have gas heat and/or stove and/or water heater? These can really add up.

Do you get to see the bill or are you taking your roommate's word for what your part of the bill is? Personally, when I lived with a bunch of people and we had to split bills, I wouldn't write a check until they showed me the original bill - then I photocopied it and checked their math. I was very anal about it, but it was because I didn't trust them in the first place. See if you can look at the electric bill to see if your roommate's being honest.

If the radiator on the refrigerator is dirty, it can be much less efficient; see if it's clean.

If your windows are old or just plain bad, they can let a lot of heat outside. Try putting some of that shrink wrap on them for the winter. If it even gets cold down in SoCal... (never been there in the winter, I don't know what the weather does).
        Old plans out the window because of an accident .
        Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
        Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

One way is turn off/unplug all the appliances from both of you to see if the meter still spinning.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I loooked on the pole but it doesn't matter too much form there right its matters from the meter on. Everything checks out there the disc in there is barely spinning.

I don't know whats next you said install a meter how is that done?

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC

One way is turn off/unplug all the appliances from both of you to see if the meter still spinning.

tuen everything off..your fridges, central heating etc etc and see if your meter is still spinning.

Also pull all the fuses or trip all the breakers and turn one on at a time and see which circuit is responsible.

Comment

i saw a device that you put on the wire (i guess the one going into your house) and it measures the wattage used. You could verify that against the meter on the wall... just a thought.

Comment

sounds cool where do I go? btw lol i noticed the anti tamper crimp was cut....

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

It would also depend on wither or not you and your parents are with the same electric company. We moved about 100 miles from our old house (old house was 1500 sq feet this one is 1800). Same appliances, same everything (insulated similar etc) and it is about $50 a month cheaper here then it was at the old house. Difference is what the companies charged for the power.
                    -----------------------------
                    Dell P2 400 Laptop (reworked)
                    GPS Mouse -w- Iguidence
                    802.11 Realtek PCMCIA Network card
                    Custom Laptop Stand

www.chrisrowland.com
                    ------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
                      i saw a device that you put on the wire (i guess the one going into your house) and it measures the wattage used. You could verify that against the meter on the wall... just a thought.
                      Your probably thinking of the Kill-a-watt.
                      http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7657/

I believe they used to have one that connected to the fuse box but I may be mistaken.

Chris
                      -----------------------------
                      Dell P2 400 Laptop (reworked)
                      GPS Mouse -w- Iguidence
                      802.11 Realtek PCMCIA Network card
                      Custom Laptop Stand

www.chrisrowland.com
                      ------------------------------

Comment

yup... it was a different looking one, but that's the idea

Comment

heres on we have i never used it tho my father is an electrician i might add so you really dont wanna plug this into you main if you dont know what you are doing
                          they are only amp probe clips but still
                          http://www.brultech.com/web1.html

.______
                          | '_ |__\___
                          [(o)|___(o)] XB
                          ._________
                          | I__I I_I|_\__I
                          [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard