Oil Change every 5000???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change every 5000???

I have a new 06 mazda3. The manual says to change the oil every 5000 miles in my climate / driving conditions. This is the first car I have ever had that said to change the oil every 5000. I did the first change very early (out of habbit), my question is should I let it go anotherr 5000 miles or stick to the old 3000 rule??
    This post college life is a real drag

Originally posted by mespork
    I have a new 06 mazda3. The manual says to change the oil every 5000 miles in my climate / driving conditions. This is the first car I have ever had that said to change the oil every 5000. I did the first change very early (out of habbit), my question is should I let it go anotherr 5000 miles or stick to the old 3000 rule??
    No matter what i try 3000 rule always. I like to change my oil.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

5000 is fine. The 3000 rule was made by oil companies who benefit by you changing your oil more often. When I was younger I worked at an oil change company and truth be told, most cars say 5000, some even more. The 3 month thing is the same way. Its not gonna go bad just sitting there.

Comment

i change the oil myself, on a 5000 mile basis. I use fully synthetic oil though, 0-40 Mobil 1, the best oil for my car. It's actually funny, that back in europe you had to change the oil every 10-15000 KM ~8-9K miles apart. So basicly they are pulling everyones leg, by having this 3K mile rule. I don't do it only b/c it'd get mad expensive. I do my own oil change, and this way it cost's me ~$40. $5.50 per quart. plus a Mobil 1 filter for like $13. So it's pricey, but way worth it.

I recommend you to use synthetic oil. It's better for your engine. Keep it maintained nicely, and you casn go 3-4, magybe 500 000 miles easy

Comment

Personally I change my oil every 2500 miles. It maybe true that you can go 5000 mile or more but my theory is why risk it. Itís insurance. I want to get what ever trash there may be floating around in my engine out of there, be it metal, water or all the byproducts from blow by of the piston rings. I also change the filter every time, same reasons. From what I have see in car manuals, the 5000 mile thing usually say something like under normal driving conditions, but under harsh driving condition change every 3000 miles. There definition of harsh driving conditions is most peopleís normal driving conditions, like stop and go, driving up and down some hill, driving for short distances, and stuff like that. Hope that helped some.
          UntenOps

Comment

Originally posted by UntenOps
            From what I have see in car manuals, the 5000 mile thing usually say something like under normal driving conditions, but under harsh driving condition change every 3000 miles. There definition of harsh driving conditions is most peopleís normal driving conditions, like stop and go, driving up and down some hill, driving for short distances, and stuff like that. Hope that helped some.

in reality, there is no such thing as normal driving conditions. But, also consider the type and weight your owner's manual specifies, and don't use something different. If your new Mazda says 5k is ok then do it. Just don,t get cheap and use no name oil and filters. there is a difference.
            every 2500 is overkill, unless your car sits for days at a time between drives. otherwise, 3-5k is not going to harm your motor at all, unless you beat the **** out of your car on a regular basis, or if you have a turbo which is oil cooled. Then, 2500 is ideal, and use synthetic. Mobil 1 is good choice, and has come down a lot in price. That stuff used to be over 5.00 a qt.

Comment

I do every it 5000 miles. Or when my engien eats the oil and I need to put more in

Comment

Originally posted by rev2
                I do every it 5000 miles. Or when my engien eats the oil and I need to put more in
                and your car also gets 11 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
                  and your car also gets 11 mpg.
                  Yup

Fun > MPG any day of the week

Comment

I do keep track of miles - but also look at the oil,
                    if the oil looks burnt or real dark or smells bad - I
                    change it out, if the oil looks good, I leave it alone

the same for transmission oil, underware

Comment

WTF guys! what another case of the US wasting natural resources!

some modern car service intervals are 2 years or 20,000 miles over here now!!!!!

personally i think 6k is the lower mileage limit. I am pretty sure our roads are harder on cars than yours. I have been a bit lazy and just changed my oil after 18 months - oops! about 1,5 litres of crude oil came out - doh!

fron now on i am changing my oil every 6k miles and that is because my car is doing veyr short journeys and is getting old and I rag the wheels off it. at 3k your oil should be like new!

oh and as for what i use:L mobil 1 is too expensive so i use magnatec.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                        WTF guys! what another case of the US wasting natural resources!

some modern car service intervals are 2 years or 20,000 miles over here now!!!!!

personally i think 6k is the lower mileage limit. I am pretty sure our roads are harder on cars than yours.
                        Not were I live - in the US the south part has realy bad roads

I lose a rim to pot holes about once a year, I dont work for the state
                        but I will take bright orange spray paint and mark them , make a circle
                        around them - and the state fills them in after I do - its funny
                        they think the state marked them, and wont fill them in unless
                        its marked - and they never mark them

Comment

I should do that up here, the winter just eats the roads up and they never fix them.
                          This post college life is a real drag

Comment

i worked with a dumbass who changed his every 500.......I was like....that would be every week or two for me.
                            PC Components:
                            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                            My work log

Comment

i mean the tightness and constant acceleration etc etc we have to do. our roads are much tighter...and we go faster

Comment

Working...
                              X