Laptop to Picture Frame Done!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop to Picture Frame Done!

I thought all you hacking and fab types might like to see my laptop to Digital Picture Frame project. The trick was what to use as a border around the screen (the white border). What I ended up using is the thin colored foam sheets they sell in Wal-Mart in the Crafts section. Just cut it with a utility knife.

Pictured is my own application recently finished today and installed. It gives the current weather from rssweather.com and 5 day forcast. The spot between the time and the forcast turns red when there are weather warnings and posts the warning their. The picture rotates through all the picture files in a folder and the time/weather and picture swaps sides left to right every hour to combat screen burn.

I've got two more laptops on my desk ready for the conversion. I might give out the pFrame program, but it's got some manual settings in the INI you would have to configure.

Wow, that is pretty hard core! Nice work.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Thats really cool! I used to work at an industrial computer place for a while and had a guy inquire about some (200,000 pcs!) tiny motherboards we sold, unfortunately I couldnt land the sale due to the engineers not wanting to make it thinner (was 1" thick.. he wanted 3/4 inch thick) Those things as a completed project sold for a pretty penny.. keep up the creativity!
      Sell me your stuff.. please see what i'm looking to buy
      http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75182

Comment

yea thats cool - good job - been wanting to do that but all the laptops
        I got are too nice or two old - I got a 486 with a nice TFT screen
        but I want to keep it - for old games - I gess I could leave the ports
        were I can access them - it runs off of 12v - I could make a big game
        boy or game gear, but it has no sound tho -

I need one with sound for weather warnings - I think we are going to
        get hit by a tornado soon - I have that feeling - that and I live
        in a trailer house

I can get a p2 laptop for about $50 - might try that
        get one with ethernet, sound, usb, ect ect - make it easy
        to work with

some one should make a linux ISO for this

Comment

I set this one up to be WiFi Internet Ready. The only thing I don't like is the Power cord hanging down from the frame. No real way to hide that though... Unless you do it in the wall...

Comment

Good job! I have just started playing around with the same project. I used an old 233mhz IBM laptop I had laying around collecting dust. It is running Damn Small Linux and using xzgv for the picture viewer. Also wireless internet, keyboard, and mouse. The picture files are on a USB flash drive so they are easy to update. One thing I did a little different than your's was I went to Hobby Lobby and got the deepest shadow box picture frame they had to use for my frame. It's a 16 5/8" x 12 3/4" frame measuring outside to outside. It's nice because everything is enclosed aside from the power cable but since I plan on setting mine on my desk, it's not a problem. Have had no problems with it getting hot even after many hours of leaving it on. Some pics:

7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
            ATVMS.com

Comment

Nice! I might have to look into using Linux, then I could pull the HDD entirely!

Comment

holy ****, I have a Satellite 100cs and a 500cs and a 730cdt, the two higher models have 12.1" screens and the lower model has a 10.4".. I wonder if I could do this to them... But the problem is I just finished doing all new walls to finish off the redesign of my house, this would be great, but I wouldn't be able to hang them. It would be too thick and I'd be to tempted to hide the computer in the wall.

hmm, time to start thinking of idea's before I hook these guys up into a few of my crew's cars for Datalogging and tuning.
                1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
                ABIT NF-M2 nView | AMD Athlon64 FX62 Windsor | nVidia GeForce 6150 | Realtek ALC883 7.1DTS | Vista x64
                RF Power T162S | RF Power T162S | 2x RF Power T212D2 | RF Power T8004 | RF Power T20001bd | RF 3SIXTY.2

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
                  Good job! I have just started playing around with the same project. I used an old 233mhz IBM laptop I had laying around collecting dust. It is running Damn Small Linux and using xzgv for the picture viewer. Also wireless internet, keyboard, and mouse. The picture files are on a USB flash drive so they are easy to update. One thing I did a little different than your's was I went to Hobby Lobby and got the deepest shadow box picture frame they had to use for my frame. It's a 16 5/8" x 12 3/4" frame measuring outside to outside. It's nice because everything is enclosed aside from the power cable but since I plan on setting mine on my desk, it's not a problem. Have had no problems with it getting hot even after many hours of leaving it on. Some pics:

what if the tape comes lose - what no duct tape

I like the idea of using the shadow box - but with my luck it would
                  short out like you have it - I would keep the bottom plastic - just remove
                  every thing else you dont need - I gess you could use some wood or peg
                  board and nylon pull ties - to hold every thing and not use the bottom
                  plastic - I have realy bad luck - unless I over-engineer things a bit

I am worried about your CPU - were is the heat sink & fan - or have
                  you measured the temperature

Comment

This was more of a test fit than permanent. I want to remake the matte or have Hobby Lobby make a custom one for me. The processor is under the silver square on the right side of the motherboard in the botom pic. I haven't measured temps but as I said, it has ran for well over 24 hours straight with no issues yet. I do plan on venting the panel that goes on the back and possibly putting a small fan as well. It's kinda lke my carputer, I never know what will end up in the final version.
                    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                    ATVMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
                      This was more of a test fit than permanent. I want to remake the matte or have Hobby Lobby make a custom one for me. The processor is under the silver square on the right side of the motherboard in the botom pic. I haven't measured temps but as I said, it has ran for well over 24 hours straight with no issues yet. I do plan on venting the panel that goes on the back and possibly putting a small fan as well. It's kinda lke my carputer, I never know what will end up in the final version.
                      that metal plate is not the heat sink - its the interface to the heat
                      sink, or metal plate / heat spreader under the keydoard - your
                      running it naked, that why I was worried -

I would try to add a heat sink if you can

at any rate good luck

Comment

My laptop mainboard's heatsink is small enough that it should fit a good sized frame good enough, I can't wait to do this!
                        1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
                        ABIT NF-M2 nView | AMD Athlon64 FX62 Windsor | nVidia GeForce 6150 | Realtek ALC883 7.1DTS | Vista x64
                        RF Power T162S | RF Power T162S | 2x RF Power T212D2 | RF Power T8004 | RF Power T20001bd | RF 3SIXTY.2

Comment

I did the same thing a couple years ago.. I installed a wireless card in to copy pictures / vnc / etc.. I really don't use it all anymore because of the glare. If your not looking straight at it it kinda looks like crap.
                          Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Comment

lol wow not to be rude but some people have no life.... good idea tho :-) id just think its a waste of a laptop esp if it wasnt old and slow

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                              lol wow not to be rude but some people have no life.... good idea tho :-) id just think its a waste of a laptop esp if it wasnt old and slow

except it is old and slow.

much teh same way you have a fondness for your bike, some people have a fondness for memories, and a LCD picture frame is a great way to display those memories

Comment

Working...
                              X