US Driving Licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Driving Licenses

Basically I'm think about getting a US license, as I'm feed up with having to use my passport as ID just to by booze.

Anyway what I want to know is what's involved in getting one? (based on some of the drivers I've seen, I don't think it's very much)

Also if I fail the test, (by doing to many hand brake turns, or the like) will I be able to still drive out here using my UK lisence?

Rob
    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

I don't know what's involved for folks from the UK, but in most states:

1. You go to the DMV and they give you a little handbook of the driving laws.

2. You study up on that for a few hours.

3. You return to the DMV with 2 forms of identification (birth certificate, passport, etc...), proof of liability insurance, and they give you a test over the handbook.

4. You then take a short driving test which you could pass with your eyes closed. (unless you drive on the "wrong" side of the road.)

5. Some states also make you take a sign test to make sure you recognize all the road signs.

6. Some states test your vision.

7. They snap your picture, run it through their machine and viola! you have your liscence.

Comment

The test is easy, just a written test with questions like
      1. how far can you park from a fire hydrant?
      a. One foot b. 20 feet
      c. 10 feet d. one mile

And the driving is easy. Imaging a Triangle. you have to drive up and be parrallel with the top cone, then come back to your original spot. then just some street driving.
      Thats how it is in Ohio atleast, so you should be fine, if you already have a license. Personally I don't see the point in it.
      Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
      Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
      In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

You don't -have- to get a driver's license... Most states will issue a non-driving identification card for a nominal fee. In California, you go in, show them proof of identity, pay $10, snap your picture and voila! Identification.

Comment

You can get an identification card here in NC. I think most states provide them. Just remember we do driving licenses by state and not country. So get one for which ever state you visit the most.
          ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
          Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
          All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
          Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY
            You can get an identification card here in NC. I think most states provide them. Just remember we do driving licenses by state and not country. So get one for which ever state you visit the most.
            It doesn't matter what state you get it in! You can use it in any state. Be very carefull at stop signs though... If you don't come to a COMPLETE (3-5 seconds) stop it is an instant fail here in Ohio. Otherwise it is a piece of cake!
            http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
            Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

here in Montana, the driving part of the test consists of driving around a couple of blocks and parallel parking.

Tom

Comment

Jesus Christ, that's it! In Ontario, we have the following:

1. Study up on book, take easy test and get G-1 license. License allows you to drive with anyone of 4+ years experience in the car, and no highways over 80KM/H.

2. Go for a 15 minute road test. If you have taken an approved driving course, you can do this 8 months after you get your G-1. If you have not taken a course, you must wait 12 months. Passing this test allows you to get a G-2. The G-2 allows you to drive by yourself, on any highways, but not between the hours of 2AM and 5Am (or something like that). Also, there must be NO detectable alcohol in your blood.

3.Once you have had your G-2 for 6 months (or maybe a a year?) you are eligible to take your G test. This is a 45 minute road test with freeway driving, where the tester tries to mess you up. It's more of a physche (sp?) out test than anything. Passing that test allows you to get your G license. If you fail this test, you go back to G-2 and must wait 8 months before you can take the G test agian. If you fail that second G test, you must take the test for the G-2 again, or start the process all over.

I like it. Though it still doesn't keep the idiots off the road.
                Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
                  You don't -have- to get a driver's license... Most states will issue a non-driving identification card for a nominal fee. In California, you go in, show them proof of identity, pay $10, snap your picture and voila! Identification.
                  Will they issue these to none US citizens? I know they'll issuse driving licences to any however.

Rob
                  And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                  www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                  Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

It appears that Colorado doesn't offer an Identification only card. Here's a link to all of the answers you're looking for:

http://www.mv.state.co.us/faqdrli.html#11.

Comment

Originally posted by Maveric

It doesn't matter what state you get it in! You can use it in any state.
                      I know that. But ever been in another state where the layout of the license is different? Most people have problems reading them.
                      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Can you not go an get an International Driver's Licence? I have one, was as easy as filling out the form and you got it (yo umust have one in your current country first tho). Or am I missing what he is looking for?
                        OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
                        www.whipflash.com
                        Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

On the road driving test: What not to do...
                          I took my test in Stillwater, Minnesota in January. It just started raining when I went into the exam station. Put 2 + 2 together, and you'll guess what the roads were like when I finally took the test...
                          Slid through two stop signs and one turn lane. I wasn't pleased. On the way home, my dad let me drive because I needed more practice - obviously. Straight into a snowbank. Nice. Took us the better half of 2 hours to go the next 10 miles.
                          At least it was a few years before they added a several month limit between taking exams - I passed a week later with a 98/100.

Sorry for turning this thread into a "driving exam horror stories" thing, but it sort of fits.
                          http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                          CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                          Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

I'm feed up with having to use my passport as ID just to by booze.
                            It doesn't matter what state you get it in! You can use it in any state.
                            I know of one instance where the state of your lisence does matter. My friend was refused alcohol at a liquor store because she had an out of state lisence. The clerk (in a store in Massachusetts) had never seen a real California drivers lisence, so she didn't think it was real and refused it. I suppose it depends on the clerk/store/state whether they will allow it.

Hope this helps.
                            Scott

Comment

In NY, you can't get a license without first taking driver's ed or an approved 5-hour course. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Comment

Working...
                              X