Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My car totalled from hail damage!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My car totalled from hail damage!

    Well, my 2003 Kia Optima was deemed to be a total loss by State Farm Insurance due to the extensive hail damage it sustained on April 7th. Unfortunately, the whole deal with insurance happened so fast that I didn't have time to get pictures.

    There were huge dents every 2-3 inches from bumper to bumper. Every piece of chrome was beat up. One OEM vent-visor was busted on the rear driver-side door. The preliminary esimate to fix it was ~$7000. The blue book was $9900. I still owed $11,500. Thank goodness my wife talked me into getting the gap insurance when I bought it.

    The car tripped over 100K miles the day before the hail damage, therefore the warranty had been expired for about 20 hours before the storm.

    Literally thousands of cars got trashed at the Saturn plant (where I was when this hit), both in the parking lot, and newly built cars. The smallest hailstones I saw were the size of a 2-liter bottle top, and the largest were bigger than golf balls. These rained down for about 25-30 minutes, and covered the ground about 2-3 inches deep like gravel.

    Amazingly, as far as I know, no one there lost any glass in their vehicles.

    So anyway, my wife and I just got home from buying a loaded 2003 Impala LS. It looks like it has a terrific place for a carputer (I passed up 9 other vehicles for "less than desirable carputer placement ability"). I'll just have to find time to install it in the dash/console.
    www.bradleyjacobs.com

    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

  • #2
    note to self:

    don't move to tennessee

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blurp
      (I passed up 9 other vehicles for "less than desirable carputer placement ability")
      Isn't it amazing how this hobby changes your perspective! I get in friends cars now and the first thing I look at is the dash configuration and whether it would be conducive to a carPC or not.
      Spent so far: $1,755
      Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
      CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
      Don't mess with Texas.
      It's not nice to pick on retards!

      Comment


      • #4
        damn that's crazy ...

        and i've been *****ing about non-stop rain in cali haha.
        [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

        Comment


        • #5
          Damn, you put 100K miles ina 3 y/o car?

          Sorry to hear though... looks like you stepped up in the world of cars...



          Peace,

          Rafster
          Post # 3000

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by edrex
            I get in friends cars now and the first thing I look at is the dash configuration and whether it would be conducive to a carPC or not.

            Ditto....

            Peace,

            Rafster
            Post # 3000

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rafster
              Ditto....
              You forgot "Peace, Rafster".
              Spent so far: $1,755
              Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
              CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
              Don't mess with Texas.
              It's not nice to pick on retards!

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow... I must be out of it.....

                Peace,

                Rafster
                Post # 3000

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow, that's CRAZY. I remember back at summer camp years ago, it started hailing so the guys in our bunk did the logical thing: we ran outside. Fun. A few welts, no total losses.

                  You got a smart wife
                  Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

                  THE GF THEME
                  Genesis has speed
                  Genesis has class
                  Genesis sent money
                  before your a__;)

                  Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by blurp
                    Well, my 2003 Kia Optima was deemed to be a total loss by State Farm Insurance due to the extensive hail damage it sustained on April 7th. Unfortunately, the whole deal with insurance happened so fast that I didn't have time to get pictures.

                    There were huge dents every 2-3 inches from bumper to bumper. Every piece of chrome was beat up. One OEM vent-visor was busted on the rear driver-side door. The preliminary esimate to fix it was ~$7000. The blue book was $9900. I still owed $11,500. Thank goodness my wife talked me into getting the gap insurance when I bought it.

                    The car tripped over 100K miles the day before the hail damage, therefore the warranty had been expired for about 20 hours before the storm.

                    Literally thousands of cars got trashed at the Saturn plant (where I was when this hit), both in the parking lot, and newly built cars. The smallest hailstones I saw were the size of a 2-liter bottle top, and the largest were bigger than golf balls. These rained down for about 25-30 minutes, and covered the ground about 2-3 inches deep like gravel.

                    Amazingly, as far as I know, no one there lost any glass in their vehicles.

                    So anyway, my wife and I just got home from buying a loaded 2003 Impala LS. It looks like it has a terrific place for a carputer (I passed up 9 other vehicles for "less than desirable carputer placement ability"). I'll just have to find time to install it in the dash/console.
                    That happend to my dad - back in the early 1990s
                    there was a hail storm so bad it ripped all the leaves off
                    the trees - broke windows, all the cars were trashed

                    My dad just got a brand new car - 3 weeks before
                    - after a few years all the smaller dents went away

                    but the car still looked like a golfball

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rafster
                      Damn, you put 100K miles ina 3 y/o car?

                      Yep, actually, I put 100,166 miles on it during 29 months of actual driving. Home to work = 140 miles round trip 5 or 6 days a week, plus a few vacations and groceries, etc.

                      Originally posted by Rafster
                      Sorry to hear though... looks like you stepped up in the world of cars...
                      I dunno. The Impala is larger and has a couple of options not available on the Kia, but the Kia had a 10 yr, 100K mile warranty, and 5-star safety rating with a 6 or 8 airbags. And actually, the Kia holds the road MUCH better. Going 75 - 85 mph in the pouring rain, passing semi trucks and never once did it ever hydroplane, or even get a little bit loose. I could even take the 25mph exit ramp @ 60-65 and not get loose. In short, I already miss my Kia. But I went ahead and bought a used car (60,000 miles) to keep my insurance cost down.
                      www.bradleyjacobs.com

                      There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One of the other systems analysts just bought a used BMW a few weeks ago, and he was the one relieving me. The storm came during shift change, so we both got caught. His insurance gave him an estimate of $3200. I nearly busted a gut laughing, because his bimmer is black, and they think they're gonna do paintless dent repair on it.

                        They are gonna eat so much on his car, because he'll keep taking it back until he cant find a single mark on it. They'll wish they had totalled his before he's done with them.
                        www.bradleyjacobs.com

                        There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Somebody at the plant actually grabbed a camera and snapped a few shots. Can't post pics of the vehicles, but here's some of the hail taken about an hour after the storm.
                          Attached Files
                          www.bradleyjacobs.com

                          There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow, only 100k miles in 3 years?

                            I do that in about a year or 18 months


                            Originally posted by Rafster
                            Damn, you put 100K miles ina 3 y/o car?

                            Rafster

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Owed $11.5k on a car with over 100k miles?!!?!
                              70 Mile commute one way?!?!?!?!

                              I guess your loan is justified by the gas prices lately...
                              http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                              CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                              Ne1 recognize the avatar?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X