Bloody AOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody AOL

Yes it's a question regarding our favorite ISP. Basically does anyone know of a way to FTP into an AOL usersite if your not running AOL as your ISP. I don't care if it's ligit or not. Basically I want to access my web space from work, and I'd rather used works direct line, than have to connect a modem up to the PC and log on at 56k.

The reason why I'm with AOL, there are few international ISPs and I can get unlimitted web space off them for free with no adverts.

Rob

PS Admin feel free to retitle this post if you think it is not appropriate.
    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Why not use the TCP/IP connection with AOL's software.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

<insert crack-smoking here>
      *edit*

Comment

But it's true, they are using Linux. And BSD.

FWIW, the core components of HotMail still run on BSD servers.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
          AFAIK, AOL does not offer FTP of any kind
          OK you've confussed me now, as I was under the impression that I was using FTP to up date the files on my site, via ftp explorer.

Now is ftp explorer doing something very funky to avoid FTPing, or what.

Rob

PS, any ideas on my original problem.
          www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
          Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

ok, so I'm completely wrong... boy, these carn-fangled inventions you youngun's got... why in my day we had to type our JPG's in by hand in a AOL IM window

Question: what's the "normal" process for getting into your FTP space? just dial-in AOL, open FTP Explorer and type in user/pass?

Comment

connect with TCP/IP on the AOL client and then go to keyword: "ftp" it is rather a bad ftp client, but it will work
              Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
              Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
              Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
              www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
                Question: what's the "normal" process for getting into your FTP space? just dial-in AOL, open FTP Explorer and type in user/pass?
                Not quite, dial-in, open FTP Explorer us anonomous as the user name and my email address as the password.

Rob

Comment

Here is AOLs very helpful responce

AOL has very tight security when it comes to our customer accounts. The only way to be able to upload to a site is to be signed on to AOL in that screen name and using the correct password even for external FTP.
                  Looks like I'm going to have to find someone else, probably a good think.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X