learned how to solder!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learned how to solder!

i just went out and bought myself a solder gun kit and taught myself how to solder because i am putting in a computer in my car and im sure i will have to solder at some point, so i learned now and i am happy i did...its nott hat hard and i thought it was going to be a lot more complicated...any ideas on when i am going to need to use this info, if ever? im just glad i accomplished something today

You'll never need to use it if your delicate when the equiptment. I only learned the skill to repair crap that i broke by bein careless.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
      You'll never need to use it if your delicate when the equiptment. I only learned the skill to repair crap that i broke by bein careless.
      Who says soldering is just for repairing? I use soldering to make stuff all the time.
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

the question was what would he HAVE to use it for not what does he choose to use it for. There's nothing you need to buy for a carputer that HAS to be soldered.
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

kudos. i taught myself when i was younger and i use it all the time. especially for work. its really cool. i was telling my dad "remember how i used to go off into the basement and tear stuff apart and play with all kinds of electronics and stuff? helped me out big time now when i sit down at a work station to repair sensitive equipment to maintain air force communications equipment...keeping the bad guys dead and the good guys alive."
          http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8.../positions.gif

Comment

Sometimes I use my soldering iron to discipline the kids. :O
            '02 GTI
            [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
            [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
            [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
            [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
            Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

lol thats messed up
              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
              Buy Sell or Trade
              If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
              Thank you
              Forex
              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

the question was what would he HAVE to use it for not what does he choose to use it for. There's nothing you need to buy for a carputer that HAS to be soldered.
                Yeah there is. Customizing harnesses and headers... But congrats, OP.

Comment

If you're going to be picky, you don't HAVE to use soldering when you break stuff either. Just buy a new whatever it was that you broke.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillalive2029
                    i just went out and bought myself a solder gun kit and taught myself how to solder because i am putting in a computer in my car and im sure i will have to solder at some point, so i learned now and i am happy i did...its nott hat hard and i thought it was going to be a lot more complicated...any ideas on when i am going to need to use this info, if ever? im just glad i accomplished something today
                    Glad you did.
                    The first thing you will need to use the soldering gun is the power wire.
                    I am talking about the BIG wire coming from the battery. When connect to an inline fuse or distribution block, it alway better give the end of the wire a little solder before attaching it. The same method was use for speaker with spring loaded terminals.

I learn it by watching my uncle doing it. I screw up big time, but getting better now. That doesn't mean I won't screw up again
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

You may need to solder something from the power supply to turn on the computer. I had to on my Pandora, well, I actually bought it used and it was already done for me. I will need to solder my LCD for auto power on I think. You may need your new found skills for stuff like that.
                      ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

Working...
                      X