How to build a BIG power conditioner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a BIG power conditioner?

OK, guys. This is a strange question, and it has NOTHING to do with carPC's. But the people here have always helped me out before, so I'm going to ask.

Is it feasible to build a power conditioner for your whole house?

I'm talking about a power conditioner that sits between the electric pole (electric company) and your distribution box in your house. It would have to be able to accept a huge range of voltage fluctuations and would have to be able to push a lot of amperage.

OK, that said, let's make it a little tougher:

This is for a house in Lebanon. They don't use 60 Hz 110v service. They use 50 Hz 220v service. Add on top that the power there really SUCKS! The service is unreliable and the voltage delivered ranges from 30v to 500v.

A lot of the houses there have "power conditioners" but they are poorly assembled and poorly designed. They usually wear out (or burn out) in a couple years and end up doing nothing.

So what do you think? Any of you electrical engineer types out there want to step up?

TIA,
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

I know power companies offer such services.
    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

Didn't Michael Jackson move to Lebanon.. or was that Bahrain?
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

cant you just convert the expensive items to 12v dc?
        Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
          OK, guys. This is a strange question, and it has NOTHING to do with carPC's. But the people here have always helped me out before, so I'm going to ask.

Is it feasible to build a power conditioner for your whole house?

I'm talking about a power conditioner that sits between the electric pole (electric company) and your distribution box in your house. It would have to be able to accept a huge range of voltage fluctuations and would have to be able to push a lot of amperage.

OK, that said, let's make it a little tougher:

This is for a house in Lebanon. They don't use 60 Hz 110v service. They use 50 Hz 220v service. Add on top that the power there really SUCKS! The service is unreliable and the voltage delivered ranges from 30v to 500v.

A lot of the houses there have "power conditioners" but they are poorly assembled and poorly designed. They usually wear out (or burn out) in a couple years and end up doing nothing.

So what do you think? Any of you electrical engineer types out there want to step up?

TIA,
          Tom
          Get a diesel generator.

Comment

or just get a generator hooked to a motor that can take the garbage power
            Kimi ga kawareba, Seikaimo kawaru!

Comment

rub two wires together and a genie will pop out.
              I GIVE FREE HUGS!
              Buy Sell or Trade
              If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
              Thank you
              Forex
              Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

I have a power conditioner - for a main frame, its got 2 big choke coils
                or what look like choke coils - bigger than soft balls, also 2 huge capacitors
                little smaller than 2 liter soda bottles, and a transformer about 6 to 7 inch
                square - I will see what my dad did with it - he may have scraped - if not
                I will try to post pics - I know I also have a smaller one some ware that I
                saved

- were we live the power is better - but it goes dead a few times a month
                and if there is a big storm its off some times a day or 2 - and we get
                small brown outs and power surges every day that never last more than
                a few seconds at a time - we started using UPSs on everything

but yea what got2liv4him said about a generator hooked to a motor might
                be a good idea - I would have it crarge up 12 battery banks and use
                an inverter, it would also be good when you lose power

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. A generator is always a solution, but I was hoping to avoid that - too much maintenance on a generator.

tj!2k4: I don't know. I've been to both Lebanon and Bahrain. Given the choice, I wouldn't live in either place. They both suck. But I'm betting that Bahrain is where Jackson is. I seem to remember a lot of young boys running around there . . .

will1384: thanks for the offer, but if your power conditioner was used here in the US, then it won't work in Lebanon. 50hz vs 60hz and 110v vs 220v and all.
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Well ,you can make one with caps that filter the power and store it. But that would be insanely dangerous. You would need to be a pro , knowing how to safely empty power from caps and stuff. Also it would cost alot.

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
                      Thanks for the suggestions guys. A generator is always a solution, but I was hoping to avoid that - too much maintenance on a generator.

tj!2k4: I don't know. I've been to both Lebanon and Bahrain. Given the choice, I wouldn't live in either place. They both suck. But I'm betting that Bahrain is where Jackson is. I seem to remember a lot of young boys running around there . . .

will1384: thanks for the offer, but if your power conditioner was used here in the US, then it won't work in Lebanon. 50hz vs 60hz and 110v vs 220v and all.
                      I was hoping to find it to see whats inside it - I looked once a long time
                      ago - but I was thinking we could reproduce one, or get ideas on how
                      to make one - but yea, if done wrong it would go up in smoke
                      or electrocute soneone

using the generator would not be to bad as far as maintenance,
                      it would be an electric motor driving the generator head - just oil it
                      and gerase the bearings once every few months or so - the 12v
                      batterys could be sealed maintenance free batterys - you could
                      check them when you oiled the motor

Comment

Its certainly doable, but it will cost you alot of money.

Im not exactly sure where to point you into the right direction. Altho if i where you i'd look for what they cost if you buy them instead of building them. Im sure there is only a small finacially difference

Comment

Originally posted by will1384
                          I was hoping to find it to see whats inside it - I looked once a long time
                          ago - but I was thinking we could reproduce one, or get ideas on how
                          to make one - but yea, if done wrong it would go up in smoke
                          or electrocute soneone

using the generator would not be to bad as far as maintenance,
                          it would be an electric motor driving the generator head - just oil it
                          and gerase the bearings once every few months or so - the 12v
                          batterys could be sealed maintenance free batterys - you could
                          check them when you oiled the motor

A generator will be so much more expensive. Certainly in the long run. Stabalising A.C. 220V is difficult tho.

Comment

Working...
                          X