Malibu ECM/ECU Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malibu ECM/ECU Questions

I drive a 2002 Chevy Malibu with 3.1L V-6, automatic, with a/c and cruise.
    It surges/revs/chuggles at highway speeds by 100-300 rpm. It sometimes
    does it enough to kick it out of cruise-control. We first addressed it as an
    engine-problem. We changed fuel-injectors, MAF sensor and brake-switch.
    It still did it. We re-flashed the ECM/ECU. No go.

So, we changed the torque-converter, torque-converter clutch, solenoid,
    hydraulic-valve, shaft and seal. It still does it.

Next, we disconnected the cruise-control. It still does it. We re-flashed the
    ECM/ECU again. It still does it. One tech feels it may be a glitch in the ECM/
    ECU itself. I have a re-manufactured one on order. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what it could be or what to try next? This has been going
    on since April......

2002 Malibu Rev/Surge - ongoing....

I now have a re-man ECM/ECU in my possession. Two different avenues of advice have been received concerning it. One is to take it to the GM-dealer and have them re-flash and have a trustworthy auto-electric tech install it OR take
    the unit to the dealer, have them install it and then re-flash it. Any suggestions?

Comment

I'm curious as to why you would come to a CarPC forum and ask a question like this?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Why come here?

I was advised to by another gent. He said that maybe those with PC
        experience would know the answers to my questions about the ECM/ECU.

Comment

Since it's a 2002 it should be OBD-II - meaning you should be able to go to an auto parts store and have them scan it for codes that are being thrown with a scan tool. It should give you an idea about what's going on.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

2002 Malibu follow-up....

I have brought it to a dealer, an auto-tech and a "Precision AutoTune".
            No luck in retrieving any codes. None have been read. No "service engine
            soon", only the rev/surge/chuggle of 100 to 300 rpm at highway speeds.
            I suspect it does not last long enough to code. Even when the tech was
            on the road with a partner and reading his scanner, they did not get any
            readable code, yet he said it did it often enough to kick the vehicle out
            of cruise-control. Thus far, we are all stumped. I will go on the Chevrolet
            Forum and see what I can find out there. Thanks for your input. I will not
            be a bother here again. Ciao.

Comment

Working...
            X