Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal advice, anybody know anything about license suspensions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal advice, anybody know anything about license suspensions?

Okay here's my story boys and girls. If you've got nothing nice to say, please keep it to yourself. :-D For everyone else, thanks for your time reading this.

My name is dan, and i'm 23 years old. I grew up in one of those towns where everyone knows everyone. My first real car was a super riced out ford focus... neon lights, altezzas, the whole deal. I thought i was hot ****, drove like a madman, and eventually lost my license because i accumulated alot of points (25). I realized it was time to cut that crap out and be a decent human being when I got my notice that my license was suspended for 95 days. Holy crap, 95 days and I didn't even DUI. Wow.

Anyways, I lived 17 miles from school and 20 miles from work, so I didn't really have any choice but to drive to work. I lived with my disabled mother at the time... and we really needed the money from me working to pay the bills... so what was I to do?

I drove for a while without a license, and with 5 days left on my suspension, I got pulled over because I had a small air freshener hanging from my rear view mirror (are you kidding me, officer?). So, that was another year's suspension. I got pulled over again after buying a car out of state with an in-transit plate... cop had no idea what it was. Another year. Then, my girlfriend's neon she let me drive was a day or two out of inspection and a bike cop did a u-ie to give me another year's suspension.

So it's now 2.5 years since my last moving violation of any sort and my time was about to be relatively close to being up. Last night on my way home from work, some pickup hauling a trailor was going 45 in a 55 zone, so I passed him. The ******* gets angry, speeds up to box me out, but I overtake him at about 70 mph and continued on my way. Next thing I know, 20 miles down the road I pull into my driveway and an officer pulls in behind me, lights ablazing. He says I pulled you over because I got a report that you were driving recklessly and at a high rate of speed. I apologized to him and suggested it might have been someone else... he didn't even know what kind of car I was driving. Next thing I know, I have another ticket for driving with a suspended license... and another year's suspension.

Is there anything that I can do about this? Any way to fight this ticket? Any way to reason with the DOT to eliminate these suspensions? I've got a baby due any time now and my job is seasonal... and all these damn suspensions started because I got a relatively short suspension, 3 months, and got caught 5 days early.

Does anybody have any experience in a situation like this, or know anybody that does? I realize that I made some mistakes and I'm ready to learn from them and move on, but it doesn't seem the state is ready to let me.

Please help if you can, and thanks for reading.
    -dan

So good you had to post it twice!
    Only true postwhores remember everything they post

REP CLUB IS DEAD
    LONG LIVE REP CLUB

Comment

Were you suspended when you got pulled the last time? It seems a bit harsh to suspend you again for no reason.
      Only true postwhores remember everything they post

REP CLUB IS DEAD
      LONG LIVE REP CLUB

Comment

yeah, still suspended. I was close to being un-suspended then got tagged for a stupid offense, and because of that, i keep getting burned.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. Mine is suspended until november. I was suspended from about 2001 to 2004, because I kept getting pulled over, and more suspensions for driving suspended (how stupid!). Finally got it back at the end of '04, then some **** went down at the end of '05 and it was suspended again, think I forgot to pay a ticket. So then I got pulled over and got written up for driving while suspended, so here's another 1 year suspension. Up in november though, just gotta stay clean.

You can apply for a work permit (restricted license). It'll let you drive to, for, and from work, but that's it. I have one. Thank god I own my own business, so now I can be working at anytime during the day OR night.

Basically, if you signed the ticket on the part that says "I'm guilty", you're screwed. Should have fought them. That's what my attorney said to me.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

the cops just see whats on paper as your character unfortunatly so they see other suspensions and keep piling it on they figure you will not change and just like they give someone a break who hasnt had a ticket b4 and just got caught speeding they also kick a man while he is down

my advice stay off the road and let the suspensions fall off and into the past so that they will not be seen anymore when they pull up your license its gonna take sometime but its like a judge in court if theres 2 cases exactly the same and one guy just got outta jail guess whos gonna go back.

other than that just run make em catch ya

jk
            .______
            | '_ |__\___
            [(o)|___(o)] XB
            ._________
            | I__I I_I|_\__I
            [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

Originally posted by lostreception View Post
              other than that just run make em catch ya
              I used to think about that everytime I got pulled over when my license was suspended back in the day. Mainly cause around here, driving on a suspended license could possibly mean jail time. I've been to jail 6 or 7 times now, the last time being about 3 weeks ago for, guess what, bench warrant, failure to pay fines. Failure to pay fines was from driving on a suspended license. But the officer was nice, and I kissed major ***, so I didn't get another ticket for driving on suspended.
              Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

See if your state allows you an exemption for a SR-22 license.....at the rate things are going you and your baby will go to the DMV to get your licenses
                together when he/she is old enough
                "A rose by any other name is still a flower"

Comment

GET OFF THE EFFING ROAD.

You think it is everyone elses fault, the guy who was driving slow and then wouldn't let you pass, the cops for continuing to pull you over. But in reality, YOU SHOULD NOT BE ON THE DAMN ROAD. You get pulled over because you continually break the law, or have unbelievable bad luck, and I doubt that. You get pulled over because you STILL do stupid ****.

Now, stop whining, take the suspension like a man, and stay off the road. Let me guess, you have no license, so you have no insurance. What if you have an accident and hurt someone, or destroy thier car. You have just screwed them, and because you think you know better, or you have reason you MUST drive.

Get over it, you messed up, and now you continue to mess up, and you deserve everything you get. IN NYC, you get caught driving while suspended, you go to jail, plain and simple. If you can't follow the rules, that is where you belong.

Driving is a privilage, not a right. You need to get to work, move closer, or find a job close by. Your mom needs to get to the doctor, get am ambulette or taxi. Stop making excuses, cause that is all they are, the excuses and whining of a punk who still hasn't grown up to accept responsibility for his actions.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

WTf is an ambulette? ...off to google...back in a mo...

edit: ahhhh

ghey!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey View Post
                      WTf is an ambulette? ...off to google...back in a mo...
                      It is a van that transports people in wheel chairs to doctors offices. They are Taxis for wheels chair bound people. They are common in the US, not sure if/what you have in your neck of the woods.

Michael
                      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
                        It is a van that transports people in wheel chairs to doctors offices. They are Taxis for wheels chair bound people. They are common in the US, not sure if/what you have in your neck of the woods.

Michael
                        we just make our ill/disabled walk or get the bus. Bit of fresh air and exercise does em good

Comment

I dunno about the OP, but I do know a few of mine were my fault. But here in a small town like I'm in, they watch for you to do something wrong, just so they can pull you over.

One time in particular that I can think of... I pulled out of my road, cop was sittin on the side of the road. He started to follow me, for quite some time. I swear I made around 6 or 7 turns thru a "residental area" then decided to stop at a friends house. Right before I was able to get there, he flips on his lights, pulls me over, and asks me if I'd be drinking.
                          WTF?? I'm 17 years old, no officer I haven't, why do you ask?
                          Officer: Well, you touched the yellow line back there. Can I search your car? Me: Um, yeah sure. (I have a notorious reputation of being a pot dealer btw... I don't even smoke pot)
                          Officer: Well, everything looks in order, here's a ticket for a cracked winshield, have a nice day.

WTF?! And just about a week ago, I get pulled over for driving suspiciously... said I was swerving, but I was staying between the 2 lines. Interesting...

Oh, and another time, pulled into a nearby church parking lot, something went weird with my carpc. I'm sittin in my car upside down, tryin to fix something in the dash, when an officer walks over and tells me to step out of the car and place your hands in the air. Holy **** man, what did i do? Once again... suspicious behavior. Here's a ticket for a cracked winshield.

Hmm... what other "activites" have I gotten a ticket for...

Excessive display of power. $100
                          Street racing (by myself, no other cars around) $150
                          failure to produce license on demand (I found it about 3 minutes later, but the cop didn't care, had to go to court) - free after wasting time in court
                          careless driving (accellerated to fast, that's the best guess I have) $100
                          improper/non-functioning safety equipment (automatic seatbelts stopped working, and I couldn't figure out how to put it back over the shoulder) - $50

NYC is a huge place by comparison... and cops have real things to do. Around here, just like I'm sure with the OP's place of residence, cops don't have anything to do, except see if they can bust the no good teenagers. Almost every county cop around here knows me on a first name basis. I'm not/was not a bad kid, it's just the way small towns are. Either you got a good rep, or a bad rep, and everybody knows.
                          Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

GET OFF THE EFFING ROAD.

You think it is everyone elses fault, the guy who was driving slow and then wouldn't let you pass, the cops for continuing to pull you over. But in reality, YOU SHOULD NOT BE ON THE DAMN ROAD. You get pulled over because you continually break the law, or have unbelievable bad luck, and I doubt that. You get pulled over because you STILL do stupid ****.

Now, stop whining, take the suspension like a man, and stay off the road. Let me guess, you have no license, so you have no insurance. What if you have an accident and hurt someone, or destroy thier car. You have just screwed them, and because you think you know better, or you have reason you MUST drive.

Get over it, you messed up, and now you continue to mess up, and you deserve everything you get. IN NYC, you get caught driving while suspended, you go to jail, plain and simple. If you can't follow the rules, that is where you belong.

Driving is a privilage, not a right. You need to get to work, move closer, or find a job close by. Your mom needs to get to the doctor, get am ambulette or taxi. Stop making excuses, cause that is all they are, the excuses and whining of a punk who still hasn't grown up to accept responsibility for his actions.

Michael
                            Amen!

Comment

GET OFF THE EFFING ROAD.

Michael
                              Post # 3000

Comment

Working...
                              X