Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with NIS issue....

OK, here goes....

I have a client who's very adament about using NIS (Norton Internet Security), but she get's ****ed off when it makes her internet/computer stop working correctly...

Basically, she says she wants to keep it for it's firewall... I keep telling her that she can make her computer faster by getting rid of NIS and using a router, and that way software will stop bogging her already slow DSL connection....

What are some things that I can say to try to convice her to see things my way...?

Peace,

Rafster
    Post # 3000

well you are an IT guy...have you tried insulting and belittling her?
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
      well you are an IT guy...have you tried insulting and belittling her?
      HAHA, yeah.... That's not a good way to keep clients...

Peace,

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

I have clients like this. The best way I have for dealing with this problem is bill all the time I spend fixing NIS. Computer to slow, reinstall NI$, IE broken Reinstall NI$, TCP/IP stack AWOL remove NI$, fix windows and repeat.

I'm making money hand over fist fixing a Firewall that protects people by keeping them off the Internet; and every time I go out I tell them... better solutions exist.

Comment

Damn.
          I'm glad our software conflicts with NIS and NAV, so we tell clients not to use it for that reason. I have one client that uses Norton Enterprise, and they are likely to be losing it in the near future.

I think the best way to prove it to clients is to have identical machines side-by-side. The only difference is that one has NIS installed and the other doesn't. Run some speed tests doing common tasks and show off the speed differences.
          Another is to find all the research that's been done about how ineffective NIS is at all the tasks it performs and show that to your client.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Explain to her that NIS is a less effective solution than other options. Explain also that it will be less expensive for her to use a router with built in firewall than to go with NIS. Explain that her internet will run faster and more reliably without NIS. Explain that it will be cheaper for her to drop NIS because your repair bills will go down.

If she insists on using NIS, oblige and bill accordingly.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

a fool and his (or her) money are soon parted.

Comment

Hmmm.... client... Could someone tell me what this is?

It looks like it could be a DSL modem/DSL filter, but I really don't know...

She uses Bellsouth DSL...
                Attached Files
                Post # 3000

Comment

my friend has Bellsouth DSL and he says that's his modem. I didn't belive it at first, but apparently it is, unless the real modem's behind the wall or something.(or in the junction box)
                  I'mmmmmm a n00b.... feel free to make fun

Comment

Originally posted by markopolo311 View Post
                    my friend has Bellsouth DSL and he says that's his modem. I didn't belive it at first, but apparently it is, unless the real modem's behind the wall or something.(or in the junction box)
                    HAHA, actually, you know what's funny?

This lady has Bell South and lives in ATL also...

Peace,

Rafster
                    Post # 3000

Comment

yeah, it looks like the modem is in a different location and the home phone wiring is being used as some networking medium. That looks pretty retarded to me. If it were a modem, last I checked, they need some sort of power, so it being in the junction box would make it 1. smallest dsl modem i've seen and 2. the dumbest way to wire it

It's possible that the wiring setup is causing some issues with speed.

Just some guesses. Good luck.
                      DON'T PANIC.

Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

Project CarPc V2

Comment

That is just a cat5 jack. You only need 4 wires for Ethernet, 2 for phone. Looks as the installer piggy backed the Ethernet with the phone. Now where the modem is; good question.

I plan to do this at my new place, but a lot better of an install than that.

Maybe she has fiber? The modem would be at the NID.
                        ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                        Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                        All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                        Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(")

Comment

Just a plain ol' RJ-45 wall jack. I see not all the pairs are run thru, but what's needed is there, orange N green. (Colors are right, hard to find that in a home DSL install... )

I'm suprised they wired it like that. Sounds kinda common around there eh? Wow, find out where the modem is raf, I'm interested.
                          Tidder

Try RevFE
                          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                            Just a plain ol' RJ-45 wall jack. I see not all the pairs are run thru, but what's needed is there, orange N green. (Colors are right, hard to find that in a home DSL install... )

I'm suprised they wired it like that. Sounds kinda common around there eh? Wow, find out where the modem is raf, I'm interested.
                            what happened to your but-whiping frog?

Comment

Eh, had to move away from childish things, and further myself to child things. Don't worry, he'll be back, and better than ever...
                              Tidder

Try RevFE
                              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
                              X