I'm In College!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm In College!

So i offically have to do absolutely no more work for school. (not seriously)

I got in Purdue University's engineering program, it is by far my first choice and well... its pretty sick.

I found out yesterday, and pretty much just been happy bout it non-stop.

usually i wouldnt post on the internet about getting in, i mean.. alot of people get accepted and if everyone did there would be an extreme amount of spam...

but, even though my gpa/sat/act/extracurriculars were up to the standards of the school i still was not sure about getting in (college gets harder and harder every year). So, i decided to show them why i could be a good engineer, i wrote up a worklog (i.e. revised the one on this site) of my CarPC, made it look nice.. and sent it.

I also got a letter from a professor asking me how i learned how to install a CarPC, and maybe even the possiblity of a scolarship if i dont screw things up. ( i could really use one ^^)

When i think about it, it doesnt really seem like engineering either, its pretty simple and just a little tedius at times, but who needs to tell the college admission people that

So yeah, heres the shorten verison:
    • Applied to Purdue University
    • Just met the average GPA/SAT/ACT Scores
    • Decided to include my CarPC Worklog as well
    • Got in because of the worklog
    • Maybe will get money in scholarships because of my CarPC

damn... technically, i could possibly make money off of installing it...

yeah, i'm going to go and not do schoolwork now ^^ later
    2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

sweet cingrats.will colleges be impressed by building a car pc.im a junior and want to go to a good school but my gpa is kind of low i think aaround 3.0.what do u guys think

Comment

Congrats OP. College is fun.....don't spend all your time on your computer.

Most hobbies will impress a college....especially if they are related to your major. Since engineering and building a car computer are related, it is expected that this would look good. To do a good job while being creative you have to have a pretty good engineering sense.

My GPA wasnt too hot either....but I managed to get in, almost get a full ride and got a job offer for the college ....before I started. The way I managed that was through a programming contest sponsored by the school. Since programming used to be a huge passtime of mine I flew through the programming contest. Since going to school, I'm sad to say that I barley ever program for the heck of it (which I would like to get back into).

A 3.0 is fine for getting into most (non-ivy-leauge)schools, but definatly keep your eyes out for any scholarship opportunities.
      PC Components:
      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
      My work log

Comment

hey man, that's cool that your carpc helped your application, there is, or can be, a lot of engineering in a carpc integration... did you do anything extra engineering wise, like any custom electronics for control, or adaptation of climate control, or any other engineering aspect in the car?
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Hmmm...wonder if it will get me in MIT for grad work...Congrats man!
          Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
          Genesis has speed
          Genesis has class
          Genesis sent money
          before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
            hey man, that's cool that your carpc helped your application, there is, or can be, a lot of engineering in a carpc integration... did you do anything extra engineering wise, like any custom electronics for control, or adaptation of climate control, or any other engineering aspect in the car?
            hah, thats the funny thing there really isn't much.

i did a few of my own things (to make it mine and not generic) but other than that its a straight up carPC install. i still need to put in a directxm box and a radio too ^^ so its not even done.

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

Originally posted by Redian View Post
              I'm In College!
              Hate to say it, but you're not in college, you're still a cute wittle high schooler
              MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
              Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

That sort of thing can be helpful if you apply to like a co-op job/internship in the summer or something. A few years back, after my freshman year in EE, I got a co-op summer job at a semiconductor company, and later on my boss told me that he had had a stack of several dozen resumes, many of them upperclassmen and one was even related to (and recommended by) a member of the upper management in the company, and he chose me because was the only one that had mentioned electronics as a hobby on my resume, and told him about some of my projects during the interview when he asked, showing a personal interest in electronics, not just a purely academic one.

Now, granted, you have to be tactful, and be sure that it's appropriate for the particular place you're applying to... probably not always a great plan when applying for a full-time job, but for co-op type jobs where they're often looking for creative college students, it can be very appropriate.
                But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                Originally posted by Viscouse
                I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by rsd212 View Post
                  Hate to say it, but you're not in college, you're still a cute wittle high schooler
                  excused me but i am a cute wittle slacking high schooler

DG4L

Comment

Awesome dude! I got my first job out of college because of a piece of VB software I wrote for my carputer!
                    http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                    CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                    Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Nice, congrats!!
                      '02 GTI
                      [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
                      [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
                      [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
                      [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
                      Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment