Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Extract FreeDB CDDB

O.K.,

Well, I asked this once before, and got the answer, but things have changed. FreeDB has changed hands, and things are different.

I have DL'd numerous files from the FreeDB site, but thet are wierd file extensions, ".tar.tar" (yes, that is 2 ".tar") and also "tar.bz2"

I have searched and searched, but I have only found command line programs, and well, I am just not interested in learning how to use them. Yes, I am lazy. So, how do you guys do it. I would love a windows based program with a GUI, or perhaps, just tell me EXACTLY what I need to put in the command line.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

.TAR is a tarball. It's a *NIX compresseion standard.
    WinZip 9 or later should open them just fine (I tested it just now w/ WinZip 9).
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      .TAR is a tarball. It's a *NIX compresseion standard.
      WinZip 9 or later should open them just fine (I tested it just now w/ WinZip 9).
      Thanks DP. I DL'd Winzip 10 (I use WinRAR mostly) and it could not handle the .tar.tar files.

I have tried WinRAR, and it extracts for about an Hour (it's a massive file) but then gives an error at the very last second. I forget what it is. I would check, but it take an hour

Anyone else?

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Yeah I 2nd the Winzip, if i'm not on my nix machine I use winzip. I don't know of anything other windows GUI that does it.

Comment

Originally posted by freenettech View Post
          Yeah I 2nd the Winzip, if i'm not on my nix machine I use winzip. I don't know of anything other windows GUI that does it.
          I tried Winzip 10, and no go.

Does anyone mind DLing the files, and trying it. They can be found at freedb.org.

Michael

Comment

*edit* see that you already use winrar.

have you tried the very latest version? there's been a couple of compressed file types I've come across very recently that I couldn't open with the dated version I had, but with the newest version it worked.

also, something else I came across on the freedb.org website, which may or may not apply to you:
            Please bear in mind that the UNIX format archives cannot be completely extracted on a FAT file system (see FAQ for more info). If you want to extract them on an NTFS file system, take a look at our FAQ on how to do so properly
            and some more info from their FAQ:
            3.3. What is a .bz2-archive, how can I decompress it?
            bzip2 is a very good compression-algorithm. If you don't know how to decompress it, visit the bzip2 and libbzip2 official home page.
            If you prefer a GUI-based program and are running Windows, try Power Archiver (Shareware) or 7-Zip, which is Freeware. There's also a bzip2-plugin available for the popular Total Commander.

3.4. Why can't I extract the Unix-format database under Win9x or WinME?
            The rock and the misc directory contain more than 38.000 files. Unfortunately the FAT-filesystem cannot handle that many files in one directory. Since WinNT and Win2000 use NTFS, they don't have the problem.
            As a solution you should download the Windows-format database archive instead. It consists of far fewer files, as it includes several database entries per file.

3.5. Why aren't there update files available for the Windows-format database, like those for the Unix-format database?
            Direct updates for the Windows format database are not possible, but that's no problem as you can use the freedb Updater (which is available on the ftp-servers) to update your Windows format database using the Unix format update files.

3.6. Why do I get lots of 0 byte files when extracting the Unix-format archives under WinNT/2000/XP and how can I extract them properly?
            The Unix-format archives contain several hardlinks. Extracting them under WinNT/2000 doesn't work properly (as links are not supported by Windows) when using common decompressors, so you will get 0 byte files instead of the links. But there is a way to extract the files properly. Download star.exe, bzip2.exe and the cygwin1.dll from
            ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/
            Put them somewhere in your path and run
            star -x -bz -copylinks f=/cygdrive/driveletter/path_to_your_archive
            in the directory, to which you want to extract the database.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Originally posted by evandude View Post
              try winrar. in my experience, it handles pretty much every compressed file type I've come across. Also, from their website:
              Yeap, running WinRar on it right now. Taking 5 hours total. Then, I think there is an error at the end, I will let you know.

It does not, however, work on the .tar.bz2 files.

Maybe I can ask them.

Michael

Comment

Reread my last post, it's all edited now. Sorry, for whatever reason I always just edit my posts instead of making another, before I remember that people who have subscribed have already gotten the first version
                I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                eegeek.net

Comment

Reread my last post, it's all edited now. Sorry, for whatever reason I always just edit my posts instead of making another, before I remember that people who have subscribed have already gotten the first version
                  Thanks, I read them. I tried Power Archiver. It takes care of the BZ2 file, but I am left with .tar.tar files. I will try and update my WinRAR, and try 7-ZIP.

I can try the FreeDB updater, but when they say "to update your Windows format database using the Unix format update files." What is the Windows format database. I don't see a windows version on thier site. If I could get the windows version, extract it, I would use the updater, but I just don't see the windows file.

Thanks again for the help.

Time to DL and try some more unzipping (well, untaring I guess).

Michael

Comment

K, DLd 7 Zip, and tried to extract the tar.bz2, and no go.

Sucks.
                    Now for WinRAR 3.61

Michael

Comment

Okay, here's a question for you. do you have the same problem with the smaller .tar.bz file from their database "freedb-update-20060801-20060901.tar.bz2"? Little easier to do testing on that one since it's a whole lot smaller. I just unzipped that one successfully using the latest version of winrar, though it was definitely slow (took a bit over 2 minutes on my desktop, an athlon 64 3500+ with a gig of RAM)
                      eegeek.net

Comment

Okay, here's a question for you. do you have the same problem with the smaller .tar.bz file from their database "freedb-update-20060801-20060901.tar.bz2"? Little easier to do testing on that one since it's a whole lot smaller. I just unzipped that one successfully using the latest version of winrar, though it was definitely slow (took a bit over 2 minutes on my desktop, an athlon 64 3500+ with a gig of RAM)
                        Well, WinRAR worked on the .tar.tar files. I will try the .tar.bz2 file as soon as I can. The tar.tar file took 4 hours on my laptop. Damn, the file must be HUMONGOUS.

Michael

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The latest version of WinRAR seems to work with the .tar.bz2.

Yay, thanks for the help.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                          X