Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theater speaker switching

Hey guys,

I have a question. I'm working on wiring up my new house and was thinking about doing something with speakers.

I'm going to have my server in the middle of the house in the basement. I wanted to run a few remote screens off the server with something like Road Runner on them to control the server.

I want to have three sets of speakers in the house. One set in the living room, one set in the kitchen, and one set in the front room. I want to use something like a phidget plugged into the server. Have all of the speakers run into the phidget, then be able to click on the touchscreens and 'activate' whatever set of speakers I want. Each room will have a screen so I can activate (or deactivate the speakers in each room, select music, etc...)

I just want to know if this is possible with a phidget. Here's what I'm looking at:
    http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?mo...7.62.10&IID=12

I don't know much about the specs on these things, or specs on normal speakers or whatever to know if this will work. I also don't know specifics about the stereo that my server is piped into. It's like a 1970's cabinet stereo that has a receiver and all that.

I guess my question is, will the speakers have enough power or signal or whatever to actually work with that relay board?

Any help would be appreciated....I'd rather not spend the money and find out the hard way if it doesn't work. I cant find anything like this in the home theater realm via searching either....

Run down again of the setup I want:
    Server, phidget, stereo cabinet in the basement.
    three sets of speakers with their wires running all the way into the phidget.
    three screens running to the server to control it
    phidget plugs into server (usb)

Thanks
    www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

I still can't find any info on if this would work. Does anyone have one of those phidgets?
    www.mobile-effects.com

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

yes, it would work fine....but you don't need a phidget, you could od it with a parallel port and some relays if you want to save money

Comment

wouldn't you get amp 'click' nosie?

Comment

Originally posted by pate60 View Post
          wouldn't you get amp 'click' nosie?
          no.

Comment

Like greenman says you could do it easily with a simple VB program to control your serial port then boost the current and send it to a relay. You also might want to consider a diode after the serial port so you don't fry your board.

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX View Post
              Like greenman says you could do it easily with a simple VB program to control your serial port then boost the current and send it to a relay. You also might want to consider a diode after the serial port so you don't fry your board.
              thanks for the feedback guys. What Andy said above, is kind of what I was wondering.

Based on what Andy said, do I need to add anything to get it to work with something like a phidget? ie...what do you mean by boosting the current?

I have an old serial port relay controller that I may test this out just to make sure it's as easy as it seems before buying a usb relay controller. I just don't know what all the specs mean for relay controllers.

I did see that project you were working on for your A/C controller greenman, very well done!
              www.mobile-effects.com

Comment

Working...
              X