Verizon FiOS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon FiOS?

As the topic states...anybody have it? If so how is it? My gf's family just ordered the pack Phone/Internet/TV. The Internet is 20MBPS FASSSST my cable modem is 1.44mbps.. I cant wait to see how it is... Unfortunately its not in my area!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case

Originally posted by Cheekz185 View Post
    As the topic states...anybody have it? If so how is it? My gf's family just ordered the pack Phone/Internet/TV. The Internet is 20MBPS FASSSST my cable modem is 1.44mbps.. I cant wait to see how it is... Unfortunately its not in my area!

The only problem is that no website you are going to visit is ever going to upload fast enough to take advantage of that bandwidth. I have 5meg cable and have never maxed it out except on a speed test. Although, being someone who works in telecom, I love the idea of fiber.
    Turbocharged 2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD, SCT tuning software, Carputer w/ Athlon XP2600 and 8" Lilliput custom molded into dash, Terk Commander XM, Rand McNally and MapPoint, bluetooth, and 802.11x

Comment

Originally posted by justin146 View Post
      The only problem is that no website you are going to visit is ever going to upload fast enough to take advantage of that bandwidth. I have 5meg cable and have never maxed it out except on a speed test. Although, being someone who works in telecom, I love the idea of fiber.
      Yeah currently i am studying with CISCO to get my CCNA then later my CCNP and the idea of fiber is sick!
      2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
      Via M10K
      512mb Ram
      60GB HDD
      OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Originally posted by Cheekz185 View Post
        Yeah currently i am studying with CISCO to get my CCNA then later my CCNP and the idea of fiber is sick!
        I work in cellular, and we are moving to fiber for bandwidth reasons. Sites that used to have 4-5 T1's at them are being put on a single fiber strand. Also, less repeaters inline means less chance for outages in bad weather.
        Turbocharged 2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD, SCT tuning software, Carputer w/ Athlon XP2600 and 8" Lilliput custom molded into dash, Terk Commander XM, Rand McNally and MapPoint, bluetooth, and 802.11x

Comment

Originally posted by justin146 View Post
          We know that such speeds are useless for webpages, but I got a 15Mb connection, that I max out on when downloading huge file, um, huge work files. yeah thats it work related stuff.

but I may be switching over to verizon fios, or I could pay $10 more and get a 30Mb connection from the cable company.
          Installed
          Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
          512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
          Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
          [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Yeah! Cisco CCNA!!!

I'm in my 3rd Semester.

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

That whole 20mbps seems crazy to me. I was under the assumption, however, that the fiber actually required more repeaters then other solutions (this is coming from a code monkey though... what do I know). It has been a while since we have been sitting at this 4mb/5mb cable limit though... a few years... it's about time we start moving forward specifically in this area of technology. I checked to see if verizon is offering it out by me, but they are not yet. This is the first I have heard of a company commercially selling this product. I want.
              Joel Konecny
              Digimoto OBDII Diagnostics

Comment

I have Cox Cable Internet. I pay about $15/month for a 12mbps/1mbps connection when evreything is added up with our digital combo...

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
                  Yeah! Cisco CCNA!!!

I'm in my 3rd Semester.

Rafster
                  IM in my 4th semester! Goodluck with Semester 3 man the first 3 chapters are the roughest! And after that its easy.

Chapter 1: VLSM and CIDR
                  Chapter 2: OSPF
                  Chapter 3: EIGRP
                  2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
                  Via M10K
                  512mb Ram
                  60GB HDD
                  OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

I've got it

I've got FIOS and it is absoultely awesome. Definitely worth the $5/more per month over the DSL I had. True, there are few sources that can feed data as fast as I can consume it however, that's not really a bash against FIOS. It's really nice to pull files from Microsoft at 800K/s or three files at a time from Napster at 350K/s each.

Comment

Originally posted by RickS View Post
                      I've got FIOS and it is absoultely awesome. Definitely worth the $5/more per month over the DSL I had. True, there are few sources that can feed data as fast as I can consume it however, that's not really a bash against FIOS. It's really nice to pull files from Microsoft at 800K/s or three files at a time from Napster at 350K/s each.
                      wait, are those the speeds your getting with FIOS? With the 30Mb connection?
                      I get higher speeds then that all the time with my 15Mb connection. Maybe I won't switch after all.
                      Installed
                      Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                      512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                      Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                      [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Isn't a cable line shared (I mean the bandwidth ceiling)? Doesn't bandwidth fluctuate depending on users online at a given moment? I remember when cable first came out and then I remember my bandwidth plumiting towards the ground as it became more popular. Where are you guys getting 12mbps/15mbps from?
                        Joel Konecny
                        Digimoto OBDII Diagnostics

Comment

Originally posted by digimotojoel View Post
                          That whole 20mbps seems crazy to me. I was under the assumption, however, that the fiber actually required more repeaters then other solutions (this is coming from a code monkey though... what do I know). .
                          The number of repeaters has to do with the technology they are using- if it is LED, then more repeaters will be needed, less with laser. Anything will be better than copper though.

i know that a standard NIU for copper T1's weights about 20lbs and can support 4-6 T1's, whereas the QDFR's for our fiber is about the size of a cable modem and can support many times more data.

Comment

Originally posted by digimotojoel View Post
                            Isn't a cable line shared (I mean the bandwidth ceiling)? Doesn't bandwidth fluctuate depending on users online at a given moment? I remember when cable first came out and then I remember my bandwidth plumiting towards the ground as it became more popular. Where are you guys getting 12mbps/15mbps from?
                            the cable where I live is fiber for long stretches, then splits off and modulates over coax. This makes their bandwidth ceiling higher. I am guessing that lots of older systems are still pure copper, so you would see bandwidth fluctuate more. It also is dependent on how much bandwidth the cable supplier has on their end- it could be bottlenecking at the cable company, not on the lines to your house.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro View Post
                              wait, are those the speeds your getting with FIOS? With the 30Mb connection?
                              I get higher speeds then that all the time with my 15Mb connection. Maybe I won't switch after all.
                              I've only got the 15Mb connection on FIOS (I think they wanted another $10 for the 30Mb and as we've heard, there's not a lot of reason for it). I've gotten higher than that but those are typical (especially from a torrent) but those are more typical of the higher end from a website. I wouldn't change from a 15Mb cable connection but that's not typical in itself...the best cable connection I ever had was 5Mb.

Comment

Working...
                              X