Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with "plus PayPal fees"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with "plus PayPal fees"?

I dare say this has been discussed before but it really ticks me off to see "plus PayPal fees" when someone is selling something, it's as though it's some sort of convenience charge the purchaser has to incur. PayPal fees have nothing to do with the person doing the paying nor the method of payment, it is entirely to do with the type of account the recipient chooses to have - so why should the purchaser be penalized for it?

If you really feel you must stick it to the buyer at least add it in to the price up front rather than the all to common "you must pay extra because I choose to have a premier PayPal account" nonsense.

</rant>

I agree though.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I'm going to start putting "plus 5% for ****s and giggles" on anything I sell.

Comment

I agree. Pure bull**** to try to add any points to cover fees. That is the cost of doing business. Technically, it is illegal to charge anyone a "fee" no matter how it is worded, if they are paying by a method in which the seller incurrs a fee to accept those funds. Visa, MC, etc. all have this clearly stated in their merchant agreements that sellers agree to when they open merchant accounts to accept cc payments direct. It is also a violation of Paypal's TOS to add any type of fee into a sale that indicates that the fee is only charged to the buyer when they chose to use Paypal as the payment method. I know they will enforce this on ebay, but I don't really see how they can regulate private party sales such as those here.
        None the less, it is bull****. Personally I will not do business with anyone who has the old "add 3% for Paypal..."

Comment

Originally posted by ukchris View Post
          I'm going to start putting "plus 5% for ****s and giggles" on anything I sell.
          Spent so far: $1,755
          Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
          CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
          Don't mess with Texas.
          It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Why all the naggiing about it? Shops do it too you know...... When I ordered some stuff from cartft, I had to pay extra PayPal fees also..... Nothing was mentioned about that, but I think it isn't something worth to rant about..... Especially when we're talking about some guy selling some stuff.... If it were a shop.... Ok, maybe they should mention it....

Or maybe I'm just too easy with money..... I don't really care about the few extra $$....
            Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
            CLARION HX-D2
            CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
            CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
            CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by IC-C30 View Post
              Why all the naggiing about it? Shops do it too you know...... When I ordered some stuff from cartft, I had to pay extra PayPal fees also..... Nothing was mentioned about that, but I think it isn't something worth to rant about..... Especially when we're talking about some guy selling some stuff.... If it were a shop.... Ok, maybe they should mention it....

Or maybe I'm just too easy with money..... I don't really care about the few extra $$....

Well for one thing, in the US it is a federal crime. It is a clear violation of Fair Trade laws.
              But, since it is no big deal to you money bags, how about if you just pony up the points for everyone???

Comment

money bags? I sure am no rich kid, I just don't get why people get off on a few bucks.... if product X costs $70 somewhere I'm not gonna waste my time waiting on it, if I can get it for $85 near my door.....

I sure am not a rich kid, I just don't care about money that much if I truely want something.
                Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
                CLARION HX-D2
                CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
                CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
                CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity View Post
                  Well for one thing, in the US it is a federal crime. It is a clear violation of Fair Trade laws.
                  But, since it is no big deal to you money bags, how about if you just pony up the points for everyone???
                  so I guess it was illegal when all the gas stations charge more for credit?

Comment

Would you prefer them to offer a 3% cash discount?
                    ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                    Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                      so I guess it was illegal when all the gas stations charge more for credit?

That was one of the biggest reasons some of the consumer protection laws concerning charge payments were written.
                      Man, that reminds me of how old I am. I remember very clearly back then. Unleaded was .659 for cash, or .699 for credit. Those scoundrals. 4 cents per gallon premium for credit card payment.

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY View Post
                        Would you prefer them to offer a 3% cash discount?

You would be surprised at how many of the distributors and wholesalers I deal with who do offer a 3-5% discount if I pay by check or wire

Comment

You would be surprised at how many of the distributors and wholesalers I deal with who do offer a 3-5% discount if I pay by check or wire
                          Well that is just the same as charging 3-5% for not paying by credit. Just marketing.

When they give you a 3-5% discount by paying cash, it is because they raised all of their prices by 3-5% so they can give a "discount"

Just like Radioshack, where when they have 50% to 75% sales, it is because they raise their prices up by 40% to 60% and then give the "huge discount" while it is really barely enough to even cover the taxes.

Goes along with the whole most people will buy something that is $9.99 or $19.99, but once it goes to $10 or $20, it no longer seems as enticing!
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            When they give you a 3-5% discount by paying cash, it is because they raised all of their prices by 3-5% so they can give a "discount"
                            Right, but they don't say " add 3% for paypal or cc" which is the point ukchris was making to begin with. When the price is 125.00, it won't be more for cc, but would only be 121.25 for a cash payment. The seller is not adding any points to the price, but is in fact willing to discount for a payment other than cc or paypal. Yes it is the same thing, however it is not a crime. Unlike saying "add 3% for...." is.

Comment

Right, but they don't say " add 3% for paypal or cc" which is the point ukchris was making to begin with. When the price is 125.00, it won't be more for cc, but would only be 121.25 for a cash payment. The seller is not adding any points to the price, but is in fact willing to discount for a payment other than cc or paypal. Yes it is the same thing, however it is not a crime. Unlike saying "add 3% for...." is.
                              But for an ebay auction, your bid assumes cash. So if the bidder says please place your maximum bid plus 3%, then I will give you a discount if you pay by cheque or moeny order, it would be the same.

I think it is wrong too, but it is life.

Comment

Working...
                              X