Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Audi A6 3.0 TDI - CarPC on factory Navi-Screen

Hi all,

I don't know if thats ok, but I put the whole story of my project on the web and now would like to place the link here.

http://www.stromgmbh.de/carpc
    It was a little more comfortable than putting it all here...

It has lots of pics and and the PC it's up and running.
    That's why I put it in the finished projects section. Although there's still a lot to improve and do. But who here would say his carpc is totally finished? ;-)

Greetings JarJar
    My System: Via Epia MII 10000, 1GB RAM, 80GB 2.5HDD, Slimline DVD Writer, Roadrunner

My CarPC Project:http://www.stromgmbh.de/carpc/index.htm

very nice install. Normally factory screen have poor resolution, but yours seem to be quite clear. Did you OEM screen come with NAV. also can you switch between the factory and the carpc?

Comment

Very nice project! I like it a lot. Clean as hell. A6 is just sooo nice looking car...

Comment

NICE SETUP! THAT SETUP 'BLOWS MY MIND DRASTICALLY + FANTASTICALLY!@!!!!'*

(Quoted from Prodigy - they are the best. I still listen to most of their albums til this day)

- sh00k
        Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

Originally posted by bembowe View Post
          very nice install. Normally factory screen have poor resolution, but yours seem to be quite clear. Did you OEM screen come with NAV. also can you switch between the factory and the carpc?
          Yes, thats no problem. When you press CD/TV Button on the MMI you have the upper right button named "Quelle" (source in english) if you press, you have the choice between cd, tv, external av1 and external av2. Pressing av1 shows carpc in the background of the MMI screen, after about 5 sec the "MMI" disappears and only carpc is displayed fullscreen.
          Any touch of the MMI Buttons/Wheel brings back the (original) MMI buttons.
          I'll make some pics one of these days...
          My System: Via Epia MII 10000, 1GB RAM, 80GB 2.5HDD, Slimline DVD Writer, Roadrunner

Comment

switch between factory / carpc screen

here's a pic of the screen selection menu of the original MMI:

("externe AV-Quelle" means "external AV source")

When you select AV1, it looks like this:

and after 2 or 3 seconds the foreground buttons disappear and it looks like this:

Comment

Nice work :-)

Hello Jar, I've taken a look at your work and I must say this is very impressive. I have a 2005 Audi A6 sedan, and since I bought it I've done several modifications to the original system, but none of them like this. First of all I bought a Dietz interface (my car has the TV tuner option) that I connected to the TV tuner, and after all I attached a Playstation 2 and a DVD changer in the trunk. The Playstation works just fine, but after a while the DVD changer crashed, and because I've lost the warranty I was unable to replace it (and I'm not really considering paying another 2000 euros for a new one). After a while I decided to install a carPC in my Audi, and here I am, looking for advice. So the first thing I would like to do is buy a complete carPC (logically ;-)), because I'm not that skilled in manufacturing one, and see if I can find a decent team to install it. My question is this : do I need that Dietz interface I've already bought in order to connect the new carPC to the MMI, or do I need to remove it and the Playstation for a "clear" install? Regarding the cables, are they tough to install "invisibly"? Because, as you did, I'm not planning to ruin the factory look. Afterwards, where should I install the carPC? Should I do it in the trunk, or is it better to make some mofications to the glove box? Thank you very much for your time. cheers

Comment

Very nice! I love it!

You know you can a touchscreen+controller kit to make the screen a touchscreen.

Comment

@Calin_t0ma:
                  Sorry for the late answer, but I was quite busy lately.
                  First of all, with my tv-tuner (I bought it at kufatec) came a little piece of cable with 3 cinch plus (female), where I could connect left, right and video signals form the pc. (I use the video out signal)
                  I don't know what the Dietz interface does or what it is needed for.
                  Maybe it's just the adapter to bring out the already existing AV1 and AV2 inputs. But I don't know. Please describe further what the Dietz part does.
                  In my opinion you dont need any interface as far as you use Video out.

About the place to put the PC, I intend to put it in the right compartment in the trunk where you find some fuses and the on-board tools. But I don't know how this looks in the sedan, because I have an Avant.
                  By the way: Right now, mine is just sitting in the trunk, held in place with some straps. Didn't find the time to put it into the right compartment by now, because this needs to be modified quite a lot.

Greetings, JarJar

Comment

Exellent job!!!!

I have some questions I could't find an answer:

1) I searched for a Taylorix case everywhere on Internet but without success,where did you buy it from?
                    2) What sort of video wire you have ran to the front of the car (where to,specify please)?
                    3) Where did you get a power supply from the car to Via Epia MII 10000?

I will be very grateful if you provide any url links?
                    Thank you in advance

Comment

taylorix case: stop searching for it... It is NOT a computer case, it's an old (really old!) metal case which hosted an antique modem from taylorix... These days modems were built like this and had the amazing speed of 1200 baud... ;-) You'll probably NOT find any around.
                      Well, the case had exactly the right size, but several metal working had to be done to make the whole interior fit into it. By the way, it is not so ideal, because when you want to open the top you have to remove the DVD-Rom and HD cables carefully.

video-wire: the video-wire I ran to the front of the car came along with the set of things I got from kufatec. (it included the tuner itself, the antenna modules, the new head-unit and a lot of cables). The wire itself was green, and had two special plugs on each side if I remember right. But I think its nothing more than a standard composite video cable (But I might as well be wrong about that.)
                      The original head unit was exchanged with the new one (as said it sits underneath the glove compartment, I had the Audi shop do it, because the new head unit had to be activated by audi anyway. (component protection)

Power supply: M2-ATX is it's name, typed into google gives you lots of hits ;-)
                      I got mine form the first hit displayed by google: cartft.com (http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/574) Germann site, but you can change language to english as well.

Hope I could help

Greetings JarJar

Comment

Very nice, I like this install a lot. I have a new Audi, but without factory nav, so I bought a Lilly 7" for my carPC. This interface is nice and clean and everything works well with the interface. Does the video go full screen?

Comment

HI rschaffer29
                          Yes it goes full-screen.
                          With Interface you probably mean the front end ?!
                          It's roadrunner with a selfmade skin.

Greets, JarJar

Comment

Originally posted by JarJarBinks View Post
                            HI rschaffer29
                            Yes it goes full-screen.
                            With Interface you probably mean the front end ?!
                            It's roadrunner with a selfmade skin.

Greets, JarJar
                            Cool,
                            By interface I meant everything from the front end software to the actual physical dash appearance and the way the display flows with the car

great job, again

Comment

Integration Questions

Jar JarBinks

So which Kufatec product did you buy? In the writeup you mention 1400 Euros. I assume that was the Audi cost not the Kufatec cost.

Is the CarPC integrated with composite video out? Or does the Kufatec solution bypass the LVDS display cable when activated? Some have complained that the composite video quality is not high enough for a CarPC.

Would you be willing to send me a private message on this forum. I am working on a project you might be interested in.

Comment

Working...
                              X