2006 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew

Hey folks... It's me MindTool again. I've fallen off the planet from the carputer industry for a while due to a lot of personal issues. Some of y'all may remember me as the skinner of the MediaCar application from some time ago.

I have just gotten up to about 95% complete with my 2006 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew set up.

You can see it here at my gallery: http://www.necevil.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=67

I'm using the following parts:

-VoomPC Chassis
    -M2-ATX 160W PSU
    -VIA EPIA EN15000G
    -1GB RAM DDR-2
    -80GB 2.5" SATA 5400RPM
    -Kyocera KR-1 Router with Sprint's Pantech PX-500

-Lilliput 619 in a double-din mount and using the Metra 99-5807 kit.
    -Windows XP SP-2
    -Daemon Tools for DVD by using a 20GB portable disk with ripped ISO copies of DVDs to serve as DVD changer without having to stick in a dvd disc.
    -StreetDeck 1.1.0.0 with default skin. I'm working on a Ford skin for my set-up.

Alpine MRP-F450 V-Power 4-channel 400W
    Alpine MRP-M850 V-Power Mono Class-D 800W
    Polk Audio DB571 5x7 180W speakers

Enjoy,
    MindTool
    2006 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L
    StreetDeck
    Project: [■■■■■■■■■-] 90% complete (reconfiguration phase)
    Status report:
    -Configuring and wiring the camera system

http://www.necevil.com/gallery/index...el=album&id=20

pretty sweet. is everything mounted in the dash?

Comment

No,

If you look at one of the pictures: http://www.necevil.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=528

This stuff is under the right passenger backseat. I preferred it to be easily accessible so that way I could bring it in for maintenance every now and then and easy access to anything in that area. Because I live in Mesa, Arizona, the heat here gets extremely high. I wouldn't get sufficient cooling in the 115F degree heat here if mounted in the dash. If I had it mounted in the dash, I had measured it at 165F degrees right after getting in the truck after sitting outside in the middle of the day. Add a computer, add another 20F degrees. No thanks.

Ian
      StreetDeck
      Status report:

Comment

Is that bezel from the metra kit? It looks like a perfect fit. Very nice OEM look, I love it.

Comment

It's that metra kit that I picked up at circuit city and got that bezel kit from MP3Car.com's store with the 619. That's why I got it. I wanted to do an conservative install but with sanitation. I wanted it to look like there was nothing that was altered on the truck. The only biggest thing that was altered was the MDF board placed at the back where the amps are mounted.

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a rear view camera - I had seen one of those license plate frames that had a camera mounted on it that I'd like to use. I don't really feel like drilling a hole and doing anything drastic.

On my truck there's a satellite radio antenna mounted on the top and I don't use XM or Sirius. But, I did find the wire that connects to the antenna and I was figuring out on how to modify that connector to put a male connector on it to connect to my holux gpsslim236 so I can just hide it away in the dash.
          StreetDeck
          Status report:

Comment

Sorry folks, had my site down and messed up for a little. I was just upgrading my PHP version from 5.1.4 to 5.2.3.

I also went to a new photo gallery software that will give me better security controls over my pictures.... so, I updated the above links. Give it a try now.
            StreetDeck
            Status report:

Comment

Your install looks really good. I have an F-150 also, and am particularly interested in the monitor and bezel. Did you take your monitor apart and mount it in the bezel from circuit city or did you mount the original monitor right in the bezel? Did you have to cut or modify the monitor housing or bezel to make it fit? Also, do you still have an FM radio? If so, how if the reception and ease of use? Its been a couple years since I've had a carputer (last one was in a 2002 nissan sentra) and i had to make a completely custom housing since it didnt have the double din opening. Your setup looks awesome!

Comment

No go on the pics. 11:20 EDT
                in progress

Comment

This one works

http://www.necevil.com/gallery/index...uck/Truckputer
                  Progress:
                  [■■■■■■■■] 100%
                  Mitsubishi 3000GT car computer
                  Previous budget Honda carputer

Comment

I saw the pictures but I was more interested in what it looked like from the back. I am just trying to figure out if had to remove the buttoms from the plastic housing or if the housing is even at all used. His setup looks really good and i'd like to something similar.

Comment

Update... 1/11/2008

I have moved my pictures once again...sorry folks, but the new and final URL is:

I am now working on a reconfiguration of power supply to my truck. I'm using two Odyssey PC2150s to keep my truckputer on all the time and I'm using a SurePower 1314-200 battery separator (uni-directional) with aux-start assist. This configuration will allow me to run my truckputer and my CCTV system on all the time. I drive more than 1-2 hours everyday so this provides me plenty of time to charge up my main battery first then the rear batteries. This allows me to run my system all the time so I don't have to keep beating up the pc by having to hibernate/start-up/hibernate/start-up all the time. Those batteries I have are about $300 a piece. They're dry-cell with 100 amp/hr capacity. 75lbs each. Completely sealed using mil-spec construction and no hydrogen emission. With the two batteries, I have a total of 200 amp/hr and on a load of roughly 7-8 amps, the batteries run for almost 40-50 hours without a charge.

The purpose of the battery separator allows me to separate the loads between the main battery which is preserved for the main electronics such as starting and general truck accessories. But the aux power would be to power up my pc all the time and my internet router and CCTV system. The battery separator's aux-start assist has been a lifesaver a couple times, I was starting to a dead battery, but the main battery sensor on this separator was able to sense the dead battery voltage and engaged to provide auxilary power from the two 2150s i have to start my engine w/o me even knowing it until the charging system warned me of a bad main battery. So sweet. Good bye jumper cables.

I have caught people doing damage to my truck such as dinging my doors and keying while shopping or just generally parked and provided photos to the police and recovered from those damages every single time. My auto insurance has dropped a whole $34 per month as a result (roughly a $400 a year savings).

I put the two batteries in my toolbox that sits on my bed. I'll be putting up pictures of my modificaton process to do a full-time power system.

I'm also adding a 45-50 watt solar panel on top of my toolbox to trickle charge my rear batteries while parked in the daytime. I live in Phoenix, Arizona, the home of 326 days of sun. Might as well tap into that free energy. My PC/CCTV only uses a total of 50 watts. So the batterys would be just running on a 1 or 2 amp load the entire time.

Cheers,
                      Ian
                      StreetDeck
                      Status report:

Comment

Reply to JDizzle

Originally posted by JDizzle View Post
                        Is that bezel from the metra kit? It looks like a perfect fit. Very nice OEM look, I love it.
                        Yah. I got it from circuit city. I took apart the monitor to put it into one of the conversion kits that mounts into the metra kit to make it look like a custom install.

Ian
                        StreetDeck
                        Status report:

Comment

Cool setup. I really like the CCTV angle

Comment

Originally posted by dejanifer View Post
                            pretty sweet. is everything mounted in the dash?
                            No, as you can see in the pictures. I have the dash populated w/ the screen and only the screen. There's awfully a lot of space underneath but I'm fine w/ that. I prefer to have easy access to my PC and if needed, I can easily remove it. So, I placed my pc under the rear right passenger seat where my Kyocera KR-1 router is.

Ian
                            StreetDeck
                            Status report:

Comment

News Flash.... I have officially tossed my Kyocera KR-1 router and gone with an Airlink+ AR360W3G router that only cost 80 bucks at Frys.com and it totally works way better than the Kyocera KR-1.

The reasons are:
                              -VPN Passthrough works much more consistently
                              -Card reconnects almost instantly
                              -Device starts up instantly
                              -Consumes much less power than the KR1 router because I'm using a full-time battery system
                              -Consistent on staying online and not being so susceptible with idle time shut offs
                              -Can actually adjust the idle timeouts that the KR1 doesn't allow you to do - this resulted in 4-10 minute VPN cut-offs.
                              StreetDeck
                              Status report:

Comment

Working...
                              X