• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 VW GTI VR6 Project

Project Name : MP3VR6
    Car : 1998 VW GTI VR6 MkIII
    Engine : VR6 2.8L

Greetings all! I have decided to undertake this hobby into my VW and am in need of some advice. Here is the car that I will be putting it in.

This fine automobile has a Panasonic DFX150U head unit installed (without an aux input, bah!) and a stock audio system which i will switch out later. The final goal will be as follows

CPU:
    Pentium 200 MMX
    64 MB SIMM
    40gb Maxtor HD
    SB Live!

Display:
    4-8" LCD TFT Display (read on for reasons of uncertanity)

Control:
    Either touchpad built underneath e-brake or remote control

A few concerns which I am having now is which LCD to purchase and where to mount it. Since I do not have adquate bay space I cannot get one of those retractable in dash ones (which would make this a WHOLE lot easier) I'm looking to get the Crutchfield mount (here) and possibly a 6-8" LCD display. I am trying to figure out which would be the best option however. Since I have seen on some of your other projects having the LCD mounted on the dashboard or near the steering wheel. (Smaller screen, but more flexibility) Here is a picture (albeit a poor angle) of my work area.

My initial thought is to put the crutchfield arm on the passenger side and have the display creep over the stick shift. Another thought was to remove my cupholder / console area and "set" a display in there. I am not willing to do the time consuming hard work that Arby did into his console. I am willing to get some sort of molding to make it seem flush, but not that whole process that he went through!

Suggestions please! Thanks alot in advance for reading and helping!

information sources :
    mp3car

please reduce your image size to a maximum of 640x480
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Could you take a better picture of the middle dash part only, i.e. the part where your A/C, stereo, cupholders are? I might be able to get some ideas then.

Comment

In the A3 chasis, the radio is pretty much isolated from the ac controls. Right underneath the ac controls there is the defroster button as well as the door lock controls. Under that there is a sliding ash trey then under that there is an open storeage compartment with two built in cup holders that come out easily. The Cubby hole under the ash trey is a PRIME CANDIDATE for a 5 or 6 inch integrated screen...it would fit perfectly. (you can see the cubby hole better in the 2nd pic...its even tilted to the drivers side a little!)

Sweet car!
        DigitalDub
        1200 mhz duron/ 384m pc133/ 6.4 gig for OS / 75 gig storage/ 32 meg Nvidia Geforce2 wit TV out / onboard sound / GPRS / 7" digitallww flip out / X10 Mouseremote / 255w inverter (temp)

Audio
        Nakamichi CD-45Z HU / Monsoon amp and 8 speakers

Comment

Again, sorry about the poor photos, unfortunetly I do not have access to a digital camera, i'll search on the internet for a pic of someone elses interior though! The cubby hole thought, are you saying put it behind the cupholders in the cubby hole? Hrmm... my only concern is the angle, its set back a bit and isn't 5" to my knowledge, I guess I'll need a mesasuring tape. Thanks for the input!

PS: just reduced jpg file sizes from 500k to 50k :>

Comment

you could get a monitor that includes a swivel or flex mount that would allow you to change the viewing angle at you discression

that would be the route I would take....plenty of room, easily accessed for maintenance, and removable!
            DigitalDub
            1200 mhz duron/ 384m pc133/ 6.4 gig for OS / 75 gig storage/ 32 meg Nvidia Geforce2 wit TV out / onboard sound / GPRS / 7" digitallww flip out / X10 Mouseremote / 255w inverter (temp)

Audio

Comment

I found some better pics that show off my center console better. These aren't from my car, but have identical units. I'm thinking of taking out the cupholders and putting a 4-5" display int here and make some custom molding. Tell me what you think now Superfly!

Comment

I am really thinking that those cupholders will be way too low to put a screen there. Could you move the head unit down there instead and then also lower the a/c control unit ?

Comment

Hrmm..now we're just getting into a very large workload here! I don't think i'm willing to do that much work. I was hoping it could be more like the display featured on Arby's page.

Comment

Well...I am sure you could put it where the cupholders are...but it may be difficult to use it while driving because you will more than likely have to tilt your head rather than just move your eyes.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Vent, cold & hot air, A/C controls are all controlled by vacume lines. You could relocate those controls down where the cupholders are and move the defrost button, Pwr Window buttons etc.. to where the ashtray is. Obviously you won't have an ashtray anymore but you will have space for a 7"wide screen Redant TFT display. I'm pretty sure i thought i've seen this mod done before but i can't remember if it was in a magazine or on the net.
                      GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
                      VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

Originally posted by Stavros
                        I found some better pics that show off my center console better. These aren't from my car, but have identical units. I'm thinking of taking out the cupholders and putting a 4-5" display int here and make some custom molding. Tell me what you think now Superfly!
                        I am very familiar with the A3 chasis (I have owned 3 of em! '96 Jetta Trek, '95 Jetta GLX Vr6 and a '99 Cabrio) and I think the cubby hole would be an ideal location. You could remove the whole console and install the monitor from the back after cutting out the cubby hole. All you would really have to do is pull the console and cut the cubby hole out, place blank piece of plastic over the opening and epoxy it into place. Then get your monitor (one with a clamshell headrest mount may be the easiest and cleanest way to go) and cut the opening out for it....install and voala.....of course its easier said than done, but this method would be easier/less expensive than fabricating a custom console for it.

I'm pretty sure the Vent, cold & hot air, A/C controls are all controlled by vacume lines. You could relocate those controls down where the cupholders are and move the defrost button, Pwr Window buttons etc.. to where the ashtray is. Obviously you won't have an ashtray anymore but you will have space for a 7"wide screen Redant TFT display. I'm pretty sure i thought i've seen this mod done before but i can't remember if it was in a magazine or on the net.
                        I have seen that done before in a show car. Looked good but cant imagine it was easy. Judging by what he is saying, he does want to invest tons of time constructing the system.

Another way you may want to think about going (although its MUCH more expensive) would be to get an all in one unit...ie an alpine/sony/eclipse flip out that has cd/radio/tv......and aux inputs. That means all you would have to do would be to install the deck an then run the wires for you video/audio...dunno but worth a shot!
                        DigitalDub

Audio

Comment

Its not a A3 (B3! ) and its been upholstered since this picture, but its in the same general place:

It does require movement of ones head to read, but that spot is definately the easiest. but since it requires looking away from the road, ive been speculating about a 1x20 lcd on top of the dash for current info.
                          -Nick

Comment

What size screen is that? If you could give me exact dimensions it would be great, it seems as if its a little small for the cubby hole. My goal is to angle one similar to that size up a little for easier reading and create a nice trim for it. Thanks for the help!

Comment

UPDATE

The project is nearing completion. I have chosen the following system now (and its built too!)

Celeron 400
                              256 SDRAM
                              30 Gig 7200 RPM Maxtor
                              20 Gig 5400 RPM Maxtor
                              ATI All in Wonder 128 PCI
                              IRMAN
                              5.6" LCD on Swivel mount from DigitalWW on passenger dash
                              Fellowes Touchpad (on order) for backup control
                              LineX USB FM Modulator / Sound Card (Mind Factory giving me run around, ordered a month ago.........)

Power:
                              Had to ditch the MPBS1 due to power issues In the meantime decided to go with a 300W inverter to get the job done (yes, it, my powersupply and motherboard are all grounded!)

I had an issue getting a signal to my lcd, here is what happened and how i fixed it

Problem : The LCD i had is a passive device. My TV-OUT would not recognize it to save the world. I tried the 75 ohm cable, i tried a 75 ohm resistor, but to no avail.

Solution:
                              I rationalized that it detected my television / vcr fine because its an "active device." So, what could inexpensively and simply emulate one? A signal amplifier of course! But radio shack doesn't have a simple one, i found a cheap video 4-way video distributer and hooked it up. I had a POST! Problem solved!

Future Plans
                              DVD-ROM
                              Sharp 10.6" LCD i can get from work for $120 (retail : $699)

Comment

Working...
                              X