Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Insomnia (what happens when I'm bored)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Insomnia (what happens when I'm bored)

The car:

I had this broken old tablet pc from my last install, mainly taken apart already. I had lots of coffee and couldn't sleep. And I needed something I can tune the car with and datalog (MegaSquirt). I like using a conventional stereo, but I missed having a computer in the car..
    So I slapped this in about 3 hours:

The guts:

Extending the inverter wire:

Loading OS:

Sun visor I found in my car:

Modified sun visor:

Operational test:

OS loaded:

Installed in car:

Right now it doesn't do much but boot to windows. But tomorrow (or maybe today if I still can't sleep) I will load MegaTune to it, and equip this thing with a wireless keyboard and a mouse. It's a pretty quick system for what I'm using it for. It's a little Pentium II with 388 Mhz processor, 64 mb of ram and 6 Gb hard drive. PCMCIA and USB ports present.

Best part is this thing can be tucked away where nobody can see it, since I live in a pretty bad area and I already know someone attempted to break into my car a few times (noticed the scratched tint).

I will clean it up a bit with some grey cloth when I have time..

That's it. Quick and dirty.
    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
    Newest install - my quickest ever
    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Neat little project sometimes else where you can't sleep, you could strap some new fabric over it to remove the rough edges (:
    Looking forward to picking up a '99 Ford Focus and stuffing a CarPC into it! I'm going for the OEM look. If anyone has tips or are willing to help me, please feel free to contact me!

Comment

Working...
    X