My 2001 Kia Sportage, (95% done)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2001 Kia Sportage, (95% done)

Well first of all I think I did a ****ty job on the LCD unit. The way KIA made this POS is I would need to take off the steering wheel and a number of other sensitive things in order to get to the dash. For the carputer itself I am using a dell CPxJ and it is being powered by my own 12 to 20v upstep regulator. The size is roughly that of 3 people magazines. I then have a numpad to control audio functions without taking my eyes off the road. There are 4 tweeters, 2 in front and two in back, all powered by the head unit. then there are 4 midrange drivers, 2 alpine's and two infinity sm152 midrange drivers. they are being powered by the Boss CX350 amp. then I have a 21 inch subwoofer which pull about 50 watts (producing 123 db), The sub is a Pyle Pro 21250. I've tested it and it produces 107.2 db at freestanding, in the box however it produces 110 db at 1 watt/meter. The amp is a Profile Baja 600, BUT the sub is 8 ohms (the amp runs very cool), I get 20 volts RMS music power, 28 volts peak before clipping.
    The picture

I will be updating this project weekly, If you like I will post more pictures.
    Here is my ugly self next to the car:
    My Blog

LOL red sub. You know, it wouldn't be really that hard to hide the wires. I can't say the laptop looks like it will live long that way though. You may want to consider mounting/storing the laptop on it's side (so the hard drive is vertical). Seems you may be a bit rough on the car and I think that may help extend the life of the PC.

Comment

Same here.

I would definatly try to hide the cables a little bit more and clean it all up a little bit. And make some sort of fixture to hold the laptop. Not nescesarily on its side but firm. A lot of people have there hard drives mounted horizontally under their seats without any problems.

Also I would try to make the effort in removing that dashboard panel and put some more time in the finish of the display. Will look a lot better!
      BMW 525tds -Biostar I94GM-I4 -Celeron M44O 1,86GHz, M2-ATX, 1Gb, 320GB -HQCT RDS tuner -Creative Extigy -iBus controller -Lilliput 7" touchscreen -DLS Ultimate A7 amplifier -Focal 130K, 130V, 27V2 speakers

Bezel Worklog-My Install -iDrive F01 RR Skin

Comment

Originally posted by makrinos001
        HAHAHA what a white trash piece of ****. Man why the hell would you put that **** in your car. And your sub? LOL is all I have to say. Quit while you are still ahead.
        You need to learn some respect for other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Keem View Post
          You need to learn some respect for other people.
          I was going to say the same thing, also notice the title, I'M NOT DONE YET!!!! I know I need to hide the wiring, why do you think the title says 95% done?
          My Blog

Comment

LOL even at 153% done it will still look like ****. Dont waste anymore money and save up to buy a better car.
            Well it is a good thing that you don't see the amp under the seat and the 200+ feet of audio wire, then the ENTIRE electrical system that I replaced.
            My Blog

Comment

I say take off the steering wheel/dash bezel and mold the screen into it. I really think that the screen and the sub are just too big. I would go with an 8" screen at the most and 12s for sub/s. It will look much much cleaner. Definately do a nice mount for the laptop and hide everything really nice and clean.

May I ask why you have gone with such a big screen and especially that huge *** sub?

Comment

The screen is 8 inches. I wanted the sub because of the efficiency. 107 db at one watt per meter is some damn efficient stuff.
                My Blog

Comment

And some damn UGLY stuff. There is NO WAY that the screen is 8", more like 18". Like the last couple dudes said, get rid of all that garbage, and clean your car up first. You have ******* doggy cum stains on your back seat...real cool.
                  Why have the mods not banned this guy yet?
                  My Blog

Comment

Because they know its the truth...
                    And you should stop arguing with people, just because you don't have a car does not mean you should whine and cry about someone who does. I'm done arguing with you.
                    My Blog

Comment

Must suck being white trash....
                      I've reported you to the admin's leave me alone and let the other respectable people give their opinion.
                      My Blog

Comment

makrinos001 has received a 3 day holiday for his attitude.

This makes for a timely reminder. Please play nice. Flaming is not acceptable on this forum. If you have a criticism make it constructive.
                        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Hi Hawkeyefile,

Let me first say great to see some kia's in this forum there nice cars. I saw the thread and just wanted to leave some nice comments . As you already told the install isn't finished yet but I can look past that .

I do have some advice / remarks but if you don't like them just don't do anything with them .

First let me say I like the large screen and also the location is very good. Only something i couldn't make out clear from the pictures was if it wasn't possible to put it a bit more back into the dash i guess it would look better that way. Also you talked about taking of the dash you should because you will probaly want to paint / spray your dash to make it look more OEM. It will be a bit of work but trust me the result will be really rewarding (that is if you can spare your car for a few days ).

Secondly I would try to put the laptop in the back that way you will prevent people kickin it or having it broke. I know that the sides of the car (don't really know what there called in english) have a lot of space to run cables trough (ripped up my sisters car to check :P).

A small remark on the cables i see you put tape around the places you solderd together i would use shrinck raps (how to you write that damn my english is bad) around them its safer looks better and if you could get them in black nobody would notice .

So the final remark you should try to extend the sides of the subwoofer box and create a compartment where you can put the amp, computer, etc into. This way it would look a bit cleaner.

Just my words of advice do whatever you like with them and most of all: HAVE FUN CREATING YOUR CARPC. IF YOU LIKE WHO GIVES A DAMN WHAT OTHERS SAY. (sorry just had to get that of my chest).

With Kind Regards,

MOnline
                          Check out My Custom Frontend

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I'll try the box, but the computer needs to stay under the seat, I might make a slide out tray for it, however that will take time.
                            My Blog

Comment

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking why does the computer need to stay under the seat ?

The box will take time indeed but i think it would make your install look a lot cleaner. And because you will probaly not be using the space next to it for something else its a nice spot .

With kind regards,

MOnline
                              Check out My Custom Frontend

Comment

Working...
                              X