Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRZWALD 1993 Caprice CarPC

Hi guys,
    I was turned on to this forum last year by a friend who'd installed as PC in his '68 Camaro RS.
    I had already installed a console and driver information center from a Gran Prix GTP in my Caprice, when I saw the PC I was hooked.

This is my car...(The great thing about wagons is that they have LOTS of places to hide a carPC)

This is the PC, Via 13000, DC-DC 90W PSU, DVD drive, TM-868. The details are in my specs list.

I started with the GP console that I was using before I had heard about CarPCs. I needed a shifter and console and I thought the DIC was cool. So I found one in a wrecking yard and stuck it in.

Then I moved on in primitive steps, I just attached the monitor to the DIC pod

It worked fine except if I stuck it into park too hard, then I'd hit the screen with my hand.

Then I saw this '95 Riviera console installed in a wagon by another wagon freak. When I saw the way it snuggled up to the dash I realized that if I moved the HVAC contols it would make a sweet mounting point for the monitor.

So the search was on for a Maroon 1995 to 1998 Riviera console. It's a very rare color but I knew that they existed because I had seen pictures of them. Then I found one in Ohio! Now I have it.

Next step is to trim it up and mount the monitor. I have two weeks of vaca coming up in December. I hope to have it in by then.
    Russ
    '93 Caprice Classic "Woody"
    SP13000
    TM-868
    Roadrider
    XM PCR, Usb Radio, WIFI, GPS, PCTV HD and 3G via tether

good luck mate , shld look good

Comment

Props on changing to a console from another car - I don't think that most people have the daring to use parts from "another" model car. I am using a Mopar console in a Lincoln, so I can relate and just wanted to say go for it.
      Electronics work on magic smoke - don't let it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnman View Post
        Props on changing to a console from another car - I don't think that most people have the daring to use parts from "another" model car. I am using a Mopar console in a Lincoln, so I can relate and just wanted to say go for it.
        Thanks,
        Wrecking yards are full of cool consoles and it's usually pretty easy to make them fit!
        Russ
        SP13000
        TM-868
        Roadrider

Comment

What brand of screen is that? can't make it out...

Comment

It's one of those TM-868, cheap Chinese jobs. It's pretty half A$$'D but it works.

Originally posted by DracoPCGuy View Post
            What brand of screen is that? can't make it out...
            Russ
            SP13000
            TM-868
            Roadrider

Comment

monitor

Is it clear? I am shopping for a screen and hope to find something decent...I am debating about building iti into the radios spot or making something that can be held inhand if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoPCGuy View Post
                Is it clear? I am shopping for a screen and hope to find something decent...I am debating about building iti into the radios spot or making something that can be held inhand if need be.
                Hmmmm,
                It's O.K.,
                the text isn't the clearest (but I don't intend to do much reading on it), I can't get it to calibrate the touch feature very well (it's just a little off) and there's a black "no man's land" at the bottom of the screen.
                Maybe I got a bad one or maybe they are just cheap... I got it cheap on ebay and it works fine for GPS and music. I might buy a better screen someday but it works for now.
                Russ
                SP13000
                TM-868
                Roadrider

Comment

lalala!

I need a screen to get started on...so if you ever dump your screen let me know...I am waiting for now to buy one as I work on my dash. i really dont know if I want it completely built into my dash. i like the idea fo letting my passenger be able to pick it up and look right at it.

I have 3 candidates for pc's right now...all notbooks...this would be my first pc and upgraded later...

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnman View Post
                    Hes using parts from different models, but withing the same company. Remember people like GM, Ford and most large companies make their parts to be used in other models to cut down on cost. That is cool that you crossed Mopar with Lincoln.

I have always loved the Caprice wagons, but its rare, most people have the buick roadmaster version of the car. What I like about the Caprice is that it has a muscle car look to it if you swap the rims out. I cant wait to see how this install turns out.
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

my family used to own the australian version of that caprice but it wasnt availale in wood grain over here. for some reason wood grain never took off in australia

1993 Mitsubishi Verada

My Ride

Comment

you need 26"s to finish your project!

Comment

Originally posted by BR80B View Post
                          you need 26"s to finish your project!
                          Negative

24s max but on 275/25/24 and slammed to hell.

But any progress on the build?

Comment

are you stl using this screen?

Comment

Any updates, im gonna find you on ISSF and talk to you more.

Comment

Working...
                              X