Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'91 Accord carputer v1.5 (that is, post-burglary/theft)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 Accord carputer v1.5 (that is, post-burglary/theft)

Hey guys, well after I got my previous lilliput and head unit jacked from my car...in my school parking lot (that story can be found here), I finally got my computer reinstalled. Some new things:

-bondo mount for the lilliput in the dash
    -DVD drive up in the dash via IDE->USB adapter
    -new (cheap) head unit, this time w/ an aux-in (before, i was using an FM-modulator...)
    -various software upgrades/fixes, including a fresh XP install, etc.

Here are some pix:

Ok, so bear with me - this is my very first time using Bondo and that kind of stuff. I guess you could have called me a bondo-virgin before this project. Here is my dash getting prepped for the fab:

another shot

I put some foil around some cardboard cut out to be just the right size of the screen. You can see that I went ahead and used the lilliput case, i figured this was the easiest option for mounting the screen later.

I roughed-up the edges a bit with a dremel to give the bondo something to grab on to:

Mixing/applying. I put some cardboard through the holes too, so i wouldnt have to guess-and-drill later

after some sanding

after painting

Here's my DVD drive. I got a IDE->USB adapter and waaay too many USB extension cords. Whatever though, they were cheap (Thank you, Newegg!)

My work area:

The installed product:

Okay, so I know it's not a perfect OEM-install, but honestly, I didn't really need it to be flawless. Again, this was my first time ever using Bondo, so be nice I think it could have used another layer of goo, but I was sick of driving around with half of a dashboard and using my phone for music. Maybe once i get a nicer car, i'll put a bit more time/effort/money into this thing. Thanks for the feedback!

Looks fine, most people who would tell you "it isn't good enough for me" just do not ever do anything for fear that they might not make it "perfect".
    Doing it at all is 90%, the other 10 is making it "nice".
    I ought to know, I just collect the parts and then do not assemble them...

So - GOOD JOB!
    Electronics work on magic smoke - don't let it out.

Comment

good first effort.... no really... I haven't had the guts to even try bondo..I'm still a bondage, uh I mean, bondo-virgin
      Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

Yeah, and you know, i figured it would be enough to impress my friends - those same friends who would actually pay for someone to install a new stereo in their car...could you imagine??

Comment

Nice job. Does the DVD tray hit the shifter? It looks pretty close.

As far as the bondo goes, you'll never learn how to fabricate anything unless you buy the materials and just do it. I felt the same way about making my first fiberglass subwoofer box. It's expensive, messy, and the end result was far from perfect (in my overly analytical mind), but I'm very glad I did it. Now I have a custom sub box that works really well, I saved money by doing it myself, and I know a lot more about working with fiberglass than I did before. Plus I have some leftover materials, and I am itching to make some more stuff!

Comment

You know that looks terrible! Your friends would be impressed by that!? Goodness!
            OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
            Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
            Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
            BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
            M2-ATX Power Supply
            RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
            Windows XP SP3

Comment

Originally posted by Slate View Post
              ...and I am itching to make some more stuff!
              No, that itching is from the glass filaments.

Comment

need edit the frame

Comment

Originally posted by Slate View Post
                  Nice job. Does the DVD tray hit the shifter? It looks pretty close.
                  Not if it's in drive!

Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                  You know that looks terrible! Your friends would be impressed by that!? Goodness!
                  Well, given that they didn't even know it was possible to put some sort of computer in a car...yes. As for the actual fabrication/aesthetics, maybe not, but I was more going for function over form, so if they don't like it, they can suck it

Comment

This looks way better than the finished product:

I would have just glued it in, then did a little bondo fill and sanding on that bottom edge - painted and bam - nice install.
                    Worklog
                    2001 Miata, Base with convenience package.
                    AppRadio2, Samsung Galaxy 3 with ARLiberator & CarHome App front end. :)

Comment

Originally posted by seangh View Post
                      I would have just glued it in, then did a little bondo fill and sanding on that bottom edge - painted and bam - nice install.
                      Yeah I think you might be right. Again, my first time w/ bondo, so I wanted to do a little experimentation. Maybe in the future I will try to do a more professional install, whether in this car or the one i get after this one breaks down for good. Somewhat related, I haven't really seen anything older than '91 on these forums.

Comment

Yeah - I hear you and give you credit for going for it. You have more guts than me - I purposefully stayed away from a completely seamless install because I know my bondo skills are not near good enough to pull it off.
                        Worklog
                        2001 Miata, Base with convenience package.
                        AppRadio2, Samsung Galaxy 3 with ARLiberator & CarHome App front end. :)

Comment

You guys have any suggestions on what i should do w/ the buttons for the screen? As you can kind of see, they're just loosely lying there on top of my dvd drive. I would like to hide them, but that would require me figuring out how to automatically turn on the screen once it receives power.

Comment

TBH, it's kinda crummy. Just one more coat of bondo would have made a insane difference. And more sanding....sanding...sanding....

It's a start though, now you know how it works for the next time.

Originally posted by Meltz014 View Post
                            You guys have any suggestions on what i should do w/ the buttons for the screen?
                            I'd build another enclosure to fill in the space above your DVD drive and mount it there.

Originally posted by Meltz014 View Post
                            Somewhat related, I haven't really seen anything older than '91 on these forums.
                            Ah ha! An 85 Eagle! Put this in a few years back when I was still in HS with a crappy car and no money
                            :
                            {Xenarc 700TSV} {Celeron M 1.3 ghz} {ASUS mATX mobo w/CT479} {MX440 128mb AGP} {1x512mb RAM} {3.5" Seagate 40gb (rated at 350 G's)} {M1-ATX}

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Comment

Ah ha! An 85 Eagle! Put this in a few years back when I was still in HS with a crappy car and no money
                              :
                              [/QUOTE]

How about aha! - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...dge-100-a.html
                              BAM.
                              I don't know - just thought I would point out that not everything is late model.
                              Hell, I am working on a 1973.

Comment

Working...
                              X