Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW Golf MKIV Custom Laptop install-DVD-Radio-Bluetooth-WiFi-USB (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Golf MKIV Custom Laptop install-DVD-Radio-Bluetooth-WiFi-USB (pics)

Hey all,

So after having used my laptop install for about 6 months with no troubles at all now, I finally got some time to post the install process so you can see how I did it on my car.

First Id like to thank everyone who helped me along the way, and all the info I got from reading the mp3car forum to help me get my install working just the way I wanted it.

My setup:
    Compaq Presario V6210 Laptop with broken screen (removed)
    AMD Sempron 3200
    1gb ram
    60gb HD
    2 usb ports + 4 on Express Card
    External DVD drive
    Bluetooth Dongle
    WiFi external antenna (hacked)
    Brando USB FM Radio
    Lilliput EBY701 7" Touchscreen

Diagram for my project:

I apologize for the blurry pictures as they're from my cell phone...

So here's the car:

This was my workbench when I still had the laptop all opened up before hacking into the power button:

Here's some acrilyc glass that I got for my screen frame, and fabricated it to fit into the dash:

Test fitting to see if I got the size right:

After getting the right fit, time to make the hole for the screen:

To hold the screen in place I hacked into an old portable stereo I had laying around, cut some of the screw holders off it and superglued them to the acrylic frame:

(the blue tape was on just to hold them while they dryed)

Getting ready for painting:

For the paint I used matte black automotive spray paint. It doesn't look as good on these first pictures, but the final result was pretty much good..

The relay hooked up:

This is a little amp I bought for the sound. I didn't care for a really loud sound, so I got this little one just to power my factory speakers.

Now hooking up the laptop:

And the screen:

(I later put a 4 port hub behind the screen where I plugged in the Brando USB Fm Radio and a USB extension cord going into my glove compartment for plugging flash drives)

Testing the DVD drive:

(After a few tests I realized the regular 10 ft (3 meter) USB extension cable just didn't send enough power to the drive, so I had to get a usb cable with a signal repeater.)

So with that solved, I cut a hole for it on the frame:

This is how my trunk looked before finishing up...[very blurry pic]

(the little blue thing on the right is my bluetooth dongle..)

THE FINISHED INSTALL:

The fabricated button panel... the little one powers the laptop, the second powers the screen, and the third is a kill switch that cuts power to the amp, laptop and screen, in case I dont want to turn the carpc on for some reason.

Anti-theft cover:

So this is it for now!! I later plan on putting a usb GPS receiver, backup cam, and maybe a OBDII reader.....but for now Im pretty satisfied with it... Tell me what you think!! Thanks all!!!

Nice install, and I'm very much liking the anti-theft cover, it looks awesome. How does it stay on? I'm wanting to do something similar for my carPC.

Comment

thanks man!! i'm glad you liked it...

the cover fits in the little space between the screen and the ac controls.. there's a little gap there that holds it in place. sometimes when I try to drive around with it on, it falls down, so it's usually on just when I'm parked..

I basically cut another piece of acrylic, painted it black with the same spray paint as the screen frame, and for the finish I bought a VW rim sticker and glued it on.

Comment

Looks good man, check mine out too http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...jetta-gli.html

Comment

Nice!!!

Good looking.

Comment

Your project looks great. I was wondering what you used to create your project diagram page. The icons look good.

Comment

thanks!!!
              I created this diagram based on another member's project diagram (imprezive one) I saw in one of his posts on the forum...which by the way looks great also...
              I then used a software called CorelDraw X3 to redraw the icons based on my own project. so if you're familiar with this drawing software it can be very useful!

Comment

2 ideas

If you decide to redo the plexi, paint behind the plexi so it keeps it shiney. Just a cleaner look

put magnets behind the plexi so your anti theft sticks on there better

Good build though!

Comment

What do you use to power the laptop?

Comment

I hope he's using a DC-DC laptop adapter, seeing inverters in these cars makes me cringe

Nice setup! Great job, man...

If I may ask, what did you use to draw up your diagram?

thanks

-steve
                    Age: 18 | Car: Isuzu Rodeo 01 | http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...s-eee-box.html

Comment

Originally posted by stevey500 View Post
                      I hope he's using a DC-DC laptop adapter, seeing inverters in these cars makes me cringe

Nice setup! Great job, man...

If I may ask, what did you use to draw up your diagram?

thanks

-steve
                      before i decided to upgrade to a Carnetix, i had a reliable dc-dc car cig adapter hardwired. no inverter needed. ironically, my fancy Carnetix is giving me a bunch of problems.
                      2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

Comment

I'm having the same problems with my two carnetix units, so I'm looking for a dc-dc car cig adapter

Comment

Looks great.

Could you please tell how your USB Radio dongle connected and how good is the reception. I have such a dongle and couldn't mannage it to work good enough.

Thank you.

Comment

Hey guys! sorry for taking so long to post some answers... I've been pretty busy lately, but anyway here it goes:

Morphes thanks for the tip about the magnets!! It sure would help the cover from falling off... but wouldn't the magnets cause some interference on the screen image? I'll give it a try...

Startingline13 I'm using a DC-DC adapter that I got off ebay for hp/compaq laptops (which is the laptop brand I have)... and it works great! It has the specific voltage for it. I first tried one of the universal dc-dc adapters from ebay but it kept causing a lot of screen interference...so I dumped it.

stevey500 Thanks man!! It took a lot of effort and research to get it done.. glad you liked it!!
                            I created this diagram based on another member's project diagram (imprezive one) I saw in one of his posts on the forum...I then used a software called CorelDraw X3 to redraw the icons based on my own project. It's a vector based drawing software.

lacning74 I haven't tried a carnetix for my setup. I went straight to the DC-DC adapter solution, and things went pretty well!! Why don't you try going back to the DC-DC adapter and see if things get back to good again?

raanan_t hey man, to be honest, my radio setup is the worst part of the whole install... I too can't get the radio stations tuned very well. I don't know how to get a good reception with my internal antenna.. I haven't tried a rooftop yet, but hopefully that may solve it. I hacked into my brando fm dongle and put an external antenna plug instead of the little one that comes with it...

UPDATE: For some unknown reason my laptop just stopped working... one day it just wouldn't turn on, and I still haven't taken it to be fixed to know what could've caused the problem.... anyway, in the meantime I miss my carpc I'm gonna get it fixed asap!

Thanks for all the comments and questions... and keep'em coming!!

Comment

Originally posted by nickfer3 View Post
                              I'm using a DC-DC adapter that I got off ebay for hp/compaq laptops (which is the laptop brand I have)... and it works great! It has the specific voltage for it. I first tried one of the universal dc-dc adapters from ebay but it kept causing a lot of screen interference...so I dumped it.
                              Do you have a model number or anything for the DC/DC adapter? I want to do the same (use my old laptop with a broken screen, a Compaq v2000).

It looks great by the way. Love the acrylic screen encasing. My only critique: I would've splurged for a slot load DVD drive .

Comment

Working...
                              X