Porsche Cayman S with Mac Mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Cayman S with Mac Mini

The typical navigation on the Porsche cars is ok, but not phenomenal. We have all read reviews about it's lack of features and how it doesn't compete against German (BMW) or the Japanese (Infiniti) navigation systems. The Mac computer can indeed compete and it can offer a couple of extras. I put a cellular data card in this machine which allows you to surf the net everywhere you go and I loaded all the MP3 & Videos in my collection to this tiny new mac mini. Soon after I had myself an amazing entertainment system and a unique system that surpasses the typical center consoles. The touchscreen allows one to control the content easily while driving and the apple remote makes this even easier.

The mac mini comes with Front Row, which is a program that allows you to surf your music easily via a white little remote so i'm using that most of the time. But if I need to jump on the web or watch CNN on their video stream, that is possible too. The machine is installed in the front trunk, with an amp in between, and a 4 port USB hub in the glove compartment.

That is such and amazing install!

nice one!

=)
    Carpc plan=========90% -Never going to be finished!
    Carpc parts==5% -Computer died
    Carpc install==5% -Need to install computer
    Carpc worklog-0% -Need to start that soon

Comment

What's your nav solution? Also, check out ICE3 in the mac forum. It's pretty good compared to front row and you can customize a theme to match the Porsche.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Beautiful. Would you mind sharing the details of this? At least the screen info? I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Comment

Details

Sure, here are a bit more details about my install...

1. Screen: Xenarc 7 inch Touchscreen 705TSV
          2. Mac Mini: Latest generation mac mini (released last Tuesday by Apple) with 120 Gig drive
          3. CarNetix P1900 Version 2.2
          4. Logitech DiNovo Mini Keyboards
          5. Apple Remote (not included with the new generation Mac Mini computers)
          6. IR Repeaters to extend the infrared signal from the front of the car to the inside of the car
          7. 4 Channel AMP to give the Mac sound some juice
          8. Power switch to turn the AMP on/off based on usage, as it was creating static when no signal was coming in to it
          9. Extra Long VGA cable extender
          10. Extra long RCA cables
          11. Mini DVI to VGA Adapter (not included in mac mini) to connect to Xenarc screen
          12. 4 port USB hub to have USB connections in glove compartment of car (for external hard drive, and for the next part listed here)
          13. Sprint Wireless USB Dongle to have internet everywhere you go

These are the components I used, the 14th & most expensive component believe it or not is a custom bezel for the Porsche to make it look stock.

Comment

ICE3 is no good

I'm not sure why anybody would use ICE3 instead of Front Row or both of these alternatives:

1. boxee.tv
            2. plexapp.com

particularly check out plexapp.com it's amazing. If you are installing a full VGA display in your car you don't want to have a crappy black & white interface for it. You want to make use of the beautiful graphics and plexapp.com does that well. Boxee.tv requires that you have an internet connection at all time which is a bit of a pain but the interface is slick.

Comment

I do. boxee.tv requires an internet connection. If you are in the boonies, you have no media center.

Plexapp looks really cool, but it is not designed to be used in the car. I watched the video on Youtube and it looks fantastic as a home media theater program but not for navigating while driving down the road at 70.

If you're just looking for eye candy, however, then they definitely look great.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

good point

good point on both

Comment

That is really sweet. Nice install.
                  CarPC: Mini-MAC Coming Soon!

Comment

Nice install. Did you DIY?

Comment

Gosh - I like this. Looks fantastic. If I went this route (mini), I'd want a built in screen also. I guess I can do that with buying the car's trim kit.

What I don't understand is integrating it with the car's amp. The car I want to buy has an external 605w, 10-speaker, Infinity Logic7 which I'm sure has at least 6 channels. It sounds really good to me when Logic7 surround is selected. I wouldn't want to dumb that down in anyway but - Not sure what I'd do. I'm such a newbie at this that I don't even know where to post/ask at this point. I posted in the newbie section but got no hits.

We have a computer for our TV/stereo and the computer's sound card is bypassed so the Amp is providing the sound. I guess that would be the same deal right?

Bug - have you given up on using your iPod Touch? That's what I really want. Just to use my iPhone to a dummy screen. Though IDK why AppleTV wouldn't work either.
                      I'm going to study the ingredient list here.

Comment

nice install. like the look of frontrow and looked for a windows clone... the closest thing i could find is Elisa Media Center... its so so. I like my coverflow. anyway my problems... like the install

ps

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE
                        2001 Boxster S
                        2003 Boxster S

Comment

Amazing, would love to reproduce it. Any bezel details and various tips

Purely amazing. I shall get my Cayman within a month and would really love to build such system into it.

Do you have any advice to be careful of or required skill before thinking of such install ?

Originally posted by nperetz View Post
                          These are the components I used, the 14th & most expensive component believe it or not is a custom bezel for the Porsche to make it look stock.
                          Do you have more details about it ? Did you shaped it yourself ?
                          Do you still have some drawing, dimensions, process to reproduce, ...

Really hope to get in touch,
                          Once again, really well done,
                          Warm regards,
                          --
                          Sébastien Grosjean - ZenCocoon

Comment

Getting the dinovo mini is a good idea... Comparing to any other keyboards/mouse..
                            My CarPc Blog (<This is outdated. I have updated to a fully running Carpc System)http://acurafuse.blogspot.com

Comment

noise?

Originally posted by nperetz View Post
                              8. Power switch to turn the AMP on/off based on usage, as it was creating static when no signal was coming in to it
                              have you tried a ground loop isolator?
                              If its not broke, try and fix it.
                              My First Carputer

Comment

Working...
                              X