Land Rover LR3 (Discovery 3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Rover LR3 (Discovery 3)

I've been lurking about on here for quite some time finally got started on my carputer. My project started back in December when microsoft and ebay were doing there 30% cashback program. I ordered a prebuilt from mocoso via ebay and a lilliput 7" screen from a random ebay seller. I intally installed it under one of the seat and ran some temp wire to get it up and running. I used a bluetooth gps adapter I had for my HTC TYTN for gps. It was pretty crude just music and maps via delarmoe.

And thats how it was untill about a month ago when I decided to get back to work on it. I ordered up a BU-353 got iG4 and centrafuse(trial). I Did permanent install of the computer behind one of the panels in the trunk area. On other models of the LR3 with rear AC unit the rear AC unit sits in this location so it was an ideal spot, it has an access hole and it has some ventalation so it worked out really well.

The screen is still on my to do list. My LR3 does not have the factory nav system so I have cubby in the dash where it would normally sit. The plan is to put it in there flush mount. But..... I really like to be able to remove the screen and hold it. So I might build a wireless screen after I do the flush mount.

For in car internet Im running an adhoc wich my iphone connect to automatically and I have a tether program by pdanet that does the rest. Or if Im using my HTC touch Pro I use wmwifirouter which turns the phone in to a wireless access point. Id like to get an express gsm card and adapter but its far down on the list because I really dont want to constantly swap out my sim card or pay for a second plan.

I run a second battery an Optima yellow top. Since the land rover is a LHD and RHD market car it has 2 battery locations of for either and than empty location which makes it easy to install a 2nd battery. I also run an isolater for the seconbattery made by traxide out of australia. Mine is specfic for my LR3 but he makes genearal kits, worth every penny. So my main power for the carputer comes off the second battery.

So heres a run down of the system

PC
    -Case: Extruded Anodized Aluminum measuring 10" x 9.25" x 3.125"/254mm x 235mm x 80mm More Info
    -Processor: ATOM 330 1.6GHz Dual Core 8 Watt CPU with 1Mb L2 cache 533MHz FSB
    -Hard Drive: 2.5" 160Gb SATA II More Info
    -Memory:1024Mb/1Gb PC5300/667MHz
    -M2-ATX Smart Power Supply Connects directly to the battery,
    -Built-in Bluetooth

Screen Lilliput 701

GPS BU-353

Centrafuse

IGuidance V4

Things to get..

Offroad gps software
    dinovo mini bluetotth keyboard
    another screen (possibly the transreflective)
    Express GSM card and usb adapter
    Backup camera
    TPMS
    OBDII setup

My goals are to eventually have the controls on my steering wheel be able to control track of the songs. To have nice GPS software for offroad. Flush mount the screen. build a wirelless screen and or a 2nd screen in the back. Find a pkugin for slinplayer for CF. Incoporate a backup cam and do the tpms integration.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Land Rover LR3 80%

Looking good Joe. Good to see another 4WD getting the treatment. It would be good to see a pic of the dash where you think you will install the monitor. Have you done anything about GPS yet? Do you drive off road much? Where do you live?

You might like to have a look at my buildup (see my signature block) for a few ideas. I did the same as you for Bluetooth and have a GPS receiver under the windscreen wipers outside of the cabin for the best possible view of the sky.

I need to update my build up of recent progress, but my current focus is to accumulate a library of topographic maps of Australia and get them up onto my Car PC for off road touring in between sorting out the hardware fomr my Arduino embedded controller.
    RodW
    2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
    OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

Great looking install. Those yellow tops are the shiz.

Comment

Hey Rod I'm in Florida. I plan to install the the monitor in the cubby in picture 7. This is the factory location of the LR nav system and Id like to keep it as factory looking as possible. Ive included a pic below of what the OEM one looks like.

My gps reciever is sitting behind a trim panel in picture 6. It seems to get good reception in that location. I had it outside on the the top of the roof when I first got it and being in side the car behind the panel seems to have had little effect.

I just got the LR3 back in december so I have been off road much with it yet. Ive got a wench for it and I will be getting the bracket next month for it. I have a 2nd set of wheel Im going to put MTRs on one Ive run the tires bare. So untill I get all of that sorted I stick to easy offroad stuff. Once its kitted up I'll start going out more.

OziExplorer seems to be the ticket for offroad I havent had much time to play around with it yet.

Talon yea the battery is a beast next to the computer its been my best add on. The main reason for it is for when I get my winch installed it will run that.

Land Rover LR3 80%

Comment

Ive got a wench for it and I will be getting the bracket next month
          I am sure your GF will enjoy the ride sitting on the bracket for the winch next month! Where do you make her sit now?

Sounds like you are on the right track. I know we are getting OT but the Toyota Hilux is a close relative of the Tacoma except I have a diesel engine and a real chassis that does not bend. Here is what I've done to it over the last 12 months:
          http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121640

And pleased to see you have a dual battery. I hope you got your priorities right and also have a fridge to keep the beer cold. Um I actually fitted that as my first mod , but I got to admit an 80 amp hour second battery makes running a car PC much easier... I think I have about 10 circuits plus the winch hanging off it now. While all of the CarPC is always powered from the Aux battery, I use an ON-OFF-ON switch that selects between powering up with Ignition or always on. One sde of the switch goes to the Accessory switch and the other back to the dual battery. I like to be able to leave it on all day if I am on a trip.

OziExplorer is certainly a brilliant program for mapping. Very easy to scan any map in and calibrate it if it has grid squares or altitude and longitude marked. You probably have access to free Government digital maps in your country, we got to buy most of ours. I am on a map collecting mission ATM and it is amazing what is out there. I have bought some and found a few for free. I have a base topo map 1:250,000 of the whole country and coverage of most of Eastern Australia at 1:25:000. About 7-8 gb of maps and growing. Our OziEmbedded project is the only real solution out there to skin it as it is not very well behaved for Car PC's. It gives the basics accessible in a touch screen friendly way.

For Street Nav, I run Odyssey Navigator from www.twig.com.au which I have found to be great.
          RodW

OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

haha actually its funny you mention the GF after looking over your rig something poped up that she has asked me to add to my list of things to get and thats a hot water shower.

I would love for us to have more diesels over here. Americans just don't know how good they really are.

Yeah an Engel fridge is on the list I was bidding on one on ebay a lil while back but it went out of my range. I did just buy a little cubby cooler that fits in my center arm rest. It was a factory option on the better spec models and its supose to work pretty well so that will have to do for now.

I have to admit I will be going in a bit excess as in its not really needed here where as you guys really need all of that capabilty on some of the straches you have between towns.

I'm actually going to be installin the same switch set up this weekend. I'm tired of jumping wires to get it running with out the key.

Theres a company over your way that build a long range tank dor the disco that I really want to get, but the freight just dosent make it fesable.

Another thing you truck reminds me I need is sorting out some under body protection I'm a bit lacking.

Your truck really looks great!
            Land Rover LR3 80%

Comment

Thanks for the comments. The guy I got the shower from has sent them over to the US before. The cheapest on the market over here and I thought the best made. Very compact. http://www.helton.com.au/ Get the bigger one if you are putting a pump on it. Ask him to solder on hose barbs to the shower inlet and outlet.

As regards long range tanks, See if you can track down some ARB stockists over there, they may bring them in.
              RodW

Comment

Hi Joe.

Nice installation…

- Where did you bought the DC splitter?

- I have the same car pc from MCS and a Dynamix 8" wide screen.
                Have a lot of trouble setting the resolution to 800X480 (Powerstrip didn't help). How did you manage this?

Thanks

Comment

Joe,

I like the idea of mouting the PC in the back behind the trim. Any chance you can remember how to pull the trim off and put it back on again?

I've also got the Traxide kit fitted (Tim the guy who sells them is in my 4WD club GCLRO), they're a great product aren't they!

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

here you go mate

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31489.html
                    Land Rover LR3 80%

Comment

Hi

Nice install. Doing the same myself !

Where did you get your skin from as it would look pretty good in my Disco3/LR3 too

Any chance of sending it me ?

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks lr3guyjoe!

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
                          Hi

Nice install. Doing the same myself !

Where did you get your skin from as it would look pretty good in my Disco3/LR3 too

Any chance of sending it me ?

Cheers!
                          Actually Ids, it's not a skin, all you have to do is replace the logo.png and the splashlogo.png with your owns in the skins folder. I'll be glad to explain how if you want too
                          Hidden is good too!!
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...rafuse-v2.html

Dell SX270 SFF
                          P4 2.8GHz
                          1.5GB Mem
                          120GB HDD
                          Lilliput EBY701
                          D-Link R100
                          CentraFuse
                          Win XP

Comment

Originally posted by sta1N View Post
                            Actually Ids, it's not a skin, all you have to do is replace the logo.png and the splashlogo.png with your owns in the skins folder. I'll be glad to explain how if you want too
                            Ahh I see. The colours dont look the same as mine so perhaps you are using a different base skin. Not to worry - just downloading CF3 now that its out so Ill see what I can do to sort that.

Can you post location of the images you used though as I'm having difficulty finding a decent Hi Res Land Rover logo.....

Ta

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
                              Ahh I see. The colours dont look the same as mine so perhaps you are using a different base skin. Not to worry - just downloading CF3 now that its out so Ill see what I can do to sort that.

Can you post location of the images you used though as I'm having difficulty finding a decent Hi Res Land Rover logo.....

Ta
                              Well I normally get any logo I need for free at http://www.allfreelogo.com/ . Registration is free. Now the logo itself is in a vector format. I can however email you the file ready for use, if you need too.
                              By the way how is CF3? I liked CF1.2 cause of the sound volume control, it had front/rear/central/ and somehow v2 doesn't and I am using the same sound card. I'm working on 4x4PC mod (Nissan Terrano G3RX) and i need to be able to control the front/rear/sub individually.

Anyway let me know mate if you need any help with the logo.
                              Hidden is good too!!
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...rafuse-v2.html

Dell SX270 SFF
                              P4 2.8GHz
                              1.5GB Mem
                              120GB HDD
                              Lilliput EBY701
                              D-Link R100
                              CentraFuse
                              Win XP

Comment

Working...
                              X