Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Ford Thunderbird simple CarPC

Hi there,

I would like to show you my CarPC that I recently installed. This is my 1996 Ford Thunderbird V8.

This is my trunk with two 10 inch Pioneer free-air subwoofers powered by two Alpine amplifiers. They are free-air because there is no room to build a box behind them. Directly behind the subs is the LPG gastank.

Now for the CarPC. The PC was installed under the passenger seat and the screen is a 7 inch motorised in-dash. Here are the pics:

PC under the seat

Overview

In-dash

Usb hub and GPS Bluetooth in the glove box. Wifi is in the dash under the windshield.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

That's a very clean install.

My question is whether or not you sealed the rear of the subs from the front of the subs?
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

Woww thermaltake LCD?!?! can you tell me your XP with it...its the only available in Serbia and EVERY guy here told me NOT TO BUY it and i did 4 months ago didnt wanna bother for buying abroad its not simple...and i kinda "swallowed" low brightness (280) i knew its low before i bought it BUT MAN i changed it 3 times...they gave me 3 NEW UNPACKED!!! every of them would tilt on half while retracing after few days 3RD ONE STARTED TILTING OUT OF THE BOX? and first 2 lost USB conn to PC from time to time didnt even bother to try 3rd on pc just packed it and now i will get my money back and buy some other crappy chinese with better brightness and worse look from abroad?

Comment

So I take it that he left us this little nugget and never came back?
        Well, it looks good...
        Electronics work on magic smoke - don't let it out.

Comment

Nice and clean, Mate - I like it

Would prefer something better (transflective) as a display, but, overall a decent setup. Keep up the good work!
          F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

I am working on a better solution for the screen. I will be moving the heater controls to the bottom slot, so i'll have 2 din slots for a new screen. I already have a spare dash console to work with and experiment. The thermaltake is a crappy screen but it works for now

Comment

At least your works i finally got other one from Germany its Faytech and im pretty amazed with it...the bummer is that thermaltake is pricey in every country im used to see electronics in sebia few times more expensive...and that thermaltake tilts backwards when u push it unless its tilted all the way back or smt is behind it really sux i moved my heat controls up and i got enough space for the screen i just need time to start working on it

Comment

Fierryo,

Other than the screen resolution are there any other issue with that screen? I'm looking at that same screen (VMI70) minus the ThermalTake nameplate and want some reviews of it. I'm trying to avoid having to relocate dash controls in order to fit both a in-dash stereo and a vga screen.
                2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
                Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2) DC Sound Lab Level4 18's (Subwoofers)
                Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

I think you better move on to a better screen. This one is not a quality product. The screen makes a lot of noise coming out of the dash. And if you press the screen ( pretty common for a touchscreen) the screen will move back. It will not come out completely now and then and lately i'm seeing green and red pixels around the edges. This thing will not last very long i guess.

Comment

Yes, PLEASE Dont buy this or similar screen really sux i tried really hard as ive said...3 new ones made problems outta box... waste of money time and nerves

Comment

Originally posted by CweLe View Post
                      Yes, PLEASE Dont buy this or similar screen really sux i tried really hard as ive said...3 new ones made problems outta box... waste of money time and nerves
                      Where did you purchase your screen from? Was it from www.short-circuit.com?
                      2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
                      Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2) DC Sound Lab Level4 18's (Subwoofers)
                      Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

No, im Serbian...ive got it from our importer...they import PC hardware by thermaltake...it doesnt matter where from if its original and unpacked, ive bot it only coz that one is THE ONLY VGA TOUCHSCREEN less then 15" available here? it was expensive tho for twice less ive got 6x better screen but i had to wait few weeks to get it from abroad...

Comment

Originally posted by Fierryo View Post
                          I am working on a better solution for the screen. I will be moving the heater controls to the bottom slot, so i'll have 2 din slots for a new screen. I already have a spare dash console to work with and experiment. The thermaltake is a crappy screen but it works for now
                          They have never really made good motorized screens for us Car PC people, but this screen is literally the only one available. I have been using there VM70, which is the headrest version without the motor, and i actually love them. I am replacing all my rear Lilliputs with the VM70. Might I ask what you payed to have the Thermaltake version? From Short-Circuit, they go for $255.00 with free shipping.

Originally posted by Pervitizm View Post
                          Fierryo,

Other than the screen resolution are there any other issue with that screen? I'm looking at that same screen (VMI70) minus the ThermalTake nameplate and want some reviews of it. I'm trying to avoid having to relocate dash controls in order to fit both a in-dash stereo and a vga screen.
                          What type of car do you have? If you can redo the dash, then I would go that route. I tried the motorized screen solution, but it did not look OEM. I went with a EBY701 for the main screen because it looks like a Dodge head unit. In my case, I need 2 motorized screens for the top of my dash, so I am going with these.

Originally posted by Fierryo View Post
                          I think you better move on to a better screen. This one is not a quality product. The screen makes a lot of noise coming out of the dash. And if you press the screen ( pretty common for a touchscreen) the screen will move back. It will not come out completely now and then and lately i'm seeing green and red pixels around the edges. This thing will not last very long i guess.
                          Yea, motorized screens are not know for being quiet. Even my brothers DUAL screen makes a noise I don't like. Have you thought of maybe having a small like piece that sticks out the dash to support the back of the screen? So that when it opens and you push on it, it has no room to fall back. When I read the reviews, that issue was the number one problem. I am designing my dash so that when it opens, a part of the dash enclosure supports the back of the screen so it can not fall back.

Originally posted by CweLe View Post
                          Can you be specific? What issues did you have? I know the display and touchscreen are fairly good, I would say on par with the EBY701. Now when you say problems, does this have to do with the motor aspect? I know that the screen has alot of useless wiring that confuses people. It should only have 3 wires, but this has 4. Two are grounds, then one is constant 12V and the other is the ACC power. If they are all not connected then the screen will not work correctly.

PS: I love the install... I have always liked the dash of the Thunderbird and the Lincoln counterpart. A Double Din screen would look hot in that car.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post

What type of car do you have? If you can redo the dash, then I would go that route. I tried the motorized screen solution, but it did not look OEM. I went with a EBY701 for the main screen because it looks like a Dodge head unit. In my case, I need 2 motorized screens for the top of my dash, so I am going with these.

If you look at my sig you'll see that I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban. I'm also currently running a Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD unit which is a motorized flip out monitor, so I'm already acustom to the noises and issue with those type of units. I'm trying not to do too much modification to my dash just yet cause I still have a lot of other issue to work out with my truck's stereo in general that I just don't have the time right now to try and tackle a full on custom dash project. The VMI70 seem to be a good solution for my needs if I want to do a carputer right now. But if it's just an overall bad monitor or the webstore is a bad company to deal with then I'll more than likely will have no choice but to go with a fixed screen and come up with a placement ideal.
                            2007 Chevy Suburban LT1
                            Comming Soon CarPC

Comment

@ZX1Cruizer you can read my earlier posts ive had problems with retracing and USB touch was turning on/off (i never bothered to plug 3rd monitor into USB coz it had retracing problems outta box) i tried every monitor on my PC 1st btw in car i wired both wires to + coz i dont use ACC i like my units having power without acc anywayz since it made problems on my pc with standard wiring that was not an issue...in serbia it costs 230eur which is around $310 but everything is more expensive here than for instance in USA coz we have less money in general

Comment

Working...
                              X