2004 vw r32 v-2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 vw r32 v-2

I had a carpc in my 2004 GTI. I no longer have that car but have a 04 R32.

First off the car.

2004 VW R32

Mods are:

Tinted windows
    Flapper mod
    K&N air filter

Some of the carpc will be carried over from the last project.
    My last project can be found here.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-work-log.html

I plan on putting the computer in the trunk area in the same spot as my GTI.
    Ill be getting the following items for a starter.
    [ ] Item + = Obtained - = Need
    + Xenarc touchscreen.
    - ASUS AT3N7A-I Intel Atom 330
    + 4 gigs of DDR2
    - M2-ATX DC-DC PSU
    - BU-353 USB NAV
    - WIFI USB adaptor
    + Centrafuse 3.0
    VW .:R32

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

I have taken apart the Xenarc screen that i got today to get ready to glue it to the aluminum bezel from my previous carpc.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

The screen is glued on.

I will start working on putting together the screen with an existing radio cage I have. I will have it tilt like before. In a similar fashion with the aluminum plate be the button to move the screen in and out. But I will be using a different actuator.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

Got the computer, installed windows 7 and Centrafuse 3.0

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

Are you going to keep the cup holders? I see in your previous one that you did. I have and 2000 Jetta I eliminated the cup holders and I really wish I had them still but can't see using the PC with 1/2 the screen covered up. Do you find it it work ok still with them there?

Comment

In a R32 that aluminum plate above the radio does not have cup holders in it. its just for looks. My cup holders are down low by the hand brake.

My plans are to keep the aluminum piece above the screen. but it will flip up and have a slot load dvdrw behind it. When it is down you can touch either side to tilt the screen in and out.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

I have been working on the screen for the past few days. Its hard to fit all this stuff in there and have it move the way i want to.

All the wires are connected and screen works great.

The actuator i ended up using is from a old cd player. its the arm that moves the lens back and forth. I swapped out some of the parts that used a belt drive and changed it to 100% gear drive. that alone took over a day ::

The screen tilts out further then the last one. and is a stronger design over all.

The main board of the monitor is underneath the radio cage. Connecting the actuator that I made to the LCD screen is some legos to continue the tradition from the previous versions. They are strong and easy to work with when you have moving parts.

I'm still working on the cd rom and activator. Ill probably have it done sometime tomorrow. the paint i used takes forever to dry.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

I finished the screen and got some more parts in yesterday.

Ill be working on getting the computer into the trunk AND make it look good.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

I am back from my vacation. The paint has all dried.

I got the final part for my screen Ill install it in the car today.

The circuit board that converted the DVDRW JAE connector to USB was too bug and could not fit with it connected and installed in the dash. My options were to find a new home for it, or move the connector (50 pin JAE small connector) or find a different version of the board.

I was able to find a slim version that didn't stick out the back very much. I move the location of the USB connector so it wouldn't be in the way.

The top one is the new modified board.
                  The lower one is the old one.

The computer will be mounted on the CD changer rack.

Here is a pic mocked up befor welding.

Finished and painted on the bottom. I left it raw on top for the sliver look. The wires will come in though the square hold in the back right and route into the computer. You can see the PCI riser in the back. the X-FI will mount there. and the hard drive will mount between the X-FI and the computer.

I made a cover to hide all the wires and computer. I took the case that's in one of my earlier pics and I changed it into this. It will bolt onto the face of the cd changer rack.

I ordered a new antenna. I am going to see if i can fit the GPS antenna and the WIFI antenna inside it. I don't know if it going to work but we will see.

Modified by Trititan at 9:57 AM 1-18-2010

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

I put together most of the computer.

My list of requirements didn't meet all of the demands but some were higher priority

I was able to hid most of the wire. and all of the computer related wires.
                    You can look in the trunk and see only a black cover. its hard to tell if it even is a computer.

The only wires that are viable are the ones that goes to and from the monsoon converter box.

I ran into a few problems.
                    -The sound card came loose because of the vibrations inside a car. Ill have to make it more secure.

-I am missing a wire for the USB port in the front. I was thinking of having one in the glove box for whatever use. (keyboard, mouse, ipod whatever)

-I think I need to have access to some USB ports in the trunk too. Right now I cant plug in anything without taking the cover off. They will need to be accessed easily and still have the door shut.

-The computer wasn't shutting down when the car was turned off. My switch had a short in it. I corrected it.

I set up a 3 position switch that has 3 modes. kinda like a flapper switch. One mode is always off (the computer will not turn on). One mode is normal operation (the computer turns on and off with the car). One mode the computer stays on (can be used when the car is off to turn on the computer).

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

I got my shark fin antenna I left the FM amp inside. but also added a wifi antenna.

My last wifi antenna was just a USB card. This time its an actual antenna and works 100% better.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

Being that the computer is almost done i should post some pics.

Cover on

Cover off

Computer off

CD tray open

Im working on a User Interface that better represents the car.I have some ideas. but im still working on it. been testing out all the system. GPS works. WIFI works. Music works, DVD works, Centrafuse needs some work( Audio glitches and user interface.)

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

Beautiful!
                          Originally posted by menudude
                          thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

nice job
                            really nice how u made the dvd player

btw where did u bought the sharkvin , and what kind of wifi antenna is in it ?
                            i am also looking for a antenna like that like they sell here on the mp3car store
                            but its to expensive for me shipping it from us to nl and the taxes :S
                            go to my new website:
                            http://corsa-t-design.19division.nl

Comment

I got the shark fin antenna on e-bay for like 5$

the wifi i got from mo-co-so.com

you can get a usb, external, or internal wifi adapter. along with an antenna. I took apart the antenna and glued it inside the shark fin.

VW GTI 20th AE BMP

Comment

Working...
                              X