Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '05 BMW 330XI with Zune HD

Hi from Russia,
    I spent significant time fitting Zune HD in My '05 BMW 330XI (E46).
    T tried to keep original BMW 16:9 board monitor (BM), use it's buttons to control Zune and show player interface on the screen. BM is fully controlled by IBUS all user inputs (button presses, volume and navi roll rotations, etc.) are broadcasting in IBUS. Together with my friend we made custom controller with IBUS interface which reading BM button presses and sending commands to Zune dock via IR. Zune HD dock was also modified: IR receiver has been unsoldered and moved to dash for remote operations. Dock has been installed in box under armrest. Now I could control Zune with both BM buttons and standard remote.
    To show video on the screen I connected dock's composite out to rear camera input of BMW TV module. That input could be easily activated remotely by pulling one of the pins to the ground.
    To get as much SQ as possible Zune HD dock connected to external DAC Audiotrak Dr.Dac2 DX via optical cable. DAC is connected to Bewith R-205S AMP (Japan domestic audiophile brand). Stock BMW CD and Radio (BM54 module) are connected to analogue line-in input of the same DAC. Thanks to good external DAC, Zune HD sounds much more detailed and accurate than factory CD transport (and most aftermarket CD units too).

Here's a diagram of entire system:

View on Yandex

Here's video showing early system in action:

fantastic work!!!
    you've got me thinking now! lol
    my friend is in LOVE with her zune.
    i cud probably do something similar for her car..
    trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Wow, that is impressive. I really like that and how it is all stock looking.
      FKA psptibby

Comment

Nice install!

Comment

Very nice work !!1 Are you going to share the schematics and firmware of your custom made box ?
          My install: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...03-2005-a.html

Comment

Wow....nice
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-carputer.html

Comment

Thanks for good feedback.
              I'm working on Web page to publish all schematics and source code for my controller. Hope to complete it in few weeks. Please stay tuned.

Comment

Great stuff man! Question...how did you modify the zune dock? Just curious. It seems to work awesome.

Comment

MUCH respect. I love that kind of projects...Great work....

Comment

this is awesome, i saw it a couple months ago at this point when you posted it on the zune forums.
                    Is there any way to get a car computers touch screen to control the zune? that would be perfect, the zunes interface is really awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by mswiss View Post
                      this is awesome, i saw it a couple months ago at this point when you posted it on the zune forums.
                      Is there any way to get a car computers touch screen to control the zune? that would be perfect, the zunes interface is really awesome.
                      As of today IR emulation is only way to control Zune remotely. I'm afraid that Zune's TV interface is not suited for touch control at all, but who knows...
                      Anyway, IR-remote emulation is all I can do as long as Zune's interface is proprietary and highly secured.

Comment

i gotcha, im thinking of doing the same thing since i have a zune hd already and a screen sitting here, im just waiting to buy a computer for the rest of my project, so this may hold me over for a little while.

anyway awesome job man it looks amazing hopefully my car turns out that nice!

Comment

Absolutely fantastic, this so far seems like the best way to use what is already a great interface for the car, subscribed for updates.

Hopefully similar will be possible with the upcoming windows 7 mobile!

Comment

Good news: I finally posted everything today (including PCB schematics, pin descriptions and firmware) on dedicated page http://sites.google.com/site/projectmuno/
                            Questions and comments are welcome

P. S. Please, don't ask me what Muno means. It's just pretty short and good enough name for the project.

Comment

Working...
                            X