Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Control Vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remote Control Vehicle

    My project isn't hardware, its software. I'm writing an app for Android phones that controls stuff in the car using bluetooth attached to the GMLAN network. I have a GM car so that's what it works on right now.

    I call it VoyagerRC.

    Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/gtosoft#p/a/u/0/-7BZ2majqho
    Blog: http://gtosoft.blogspot.com/


  • #2
    thats awesome would it work for other cars besides gm cars?

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure... Most likely not without some work though. GMLAN is rather proprietary to GM.

      Originally posted by mswiss View Post
      thats awesome would it work for other cars besides gm cars?

      Comment


      • #4
        zomg... I need the unlock/lock doors!!!

        Your work on voyagerRC to do GMLAN stuff only makes my hate for Android grow... I won't be able to use it on my carpc or my phone... Is it at least open source? I suppose I can use the code on my GMLAN provider for nobdy...
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

        Comment


        • #5
          Definitely heading toward open source but not there yet. I need to recoup some of my research debt first by selling the app; at least for a few months.

          While learning about the network, I found a pretty sweet way for carPC folks to "detect" when the car turns on. The SWC (pin 1 on GM OBD connector) will see a +12v pulse any time the keyfob is used or the car is running. Basically this pulse is used to wake up all the little computer nodes attached to things like engine, TPMS, DIC, whatever else. Alls it would take is a zener diode and an SCR transistor to hold the power on once the pulse is detected. That always seemed to be a hurdle - how to actuate the CARPC's on/off state without having to use a power button.

          Comment


          • #6
            Are you documenting the codes somewhere? Do you know the codes for the steering wheel controls yet? Keep up the good work.
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

            Comment


            • #7
              Commands For Controlling GM Radio

              Thanks

              Radio controls:
              http://www.youtube.com/user/gtosoft#p/a/u/1/k-CabIHRRUs
              Please excuse my lack of acting skillz in the vids :/

              The codes for controlling GM radio:

              Code:
              header         tested?    command/info     data  SourceNode     description
              
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	01 00	BCM	wheel mute, Onstar enable
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	02 00	BCM	wheel vol down
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	03 00	BCM	wheel vol up
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	04 00	BCM	wheel select up
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	05 00	BCM	wheel select down
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	06 00	BCM	wheel source
              10 0D 00 40	works	command	07 00	BCM	wheel play/next
              All the codes I'm figuring out are through reverse engineering. I hear they may be defined in GMW 3110? But its tough to justify $60 for the book that I don't even know contains what I'm looking for.


              Originally posted by tripzero View Post
              Are you documenting the codes somewhere? Do you know the codes for the steering wheel controls yet? Keep up the good work.

              Comment


              • #8
                So i should just be able to listen to these on the SW CAN right?

                ie: I could have my nobdy subscriber listen for "100D00400700" and that would be play/next?
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                  So i should just be able to listen to these on the SW CAN right?

                  ie: I could have my nobdy subscriber listen for "100D00400700" and that would be play/next?
                  Yeah pretty much.

                  A few caveats:
                  * The node addresses can be different from car to car so it may come from a node other than 40 (BCM in my car) or the same node with a different address for your car.
                  * If you're sniffing all data on the bus you might get buffer overruns so you might want to filter by source node address.

                  What are you using for a sniffer?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by regulatre View Post
                    Yeah pretty much.

                    A few caveats:
                    * The node addresses can be different from car to car so it may come from a node other than 40 (BCM in my car) or the same node with a different address for your car.
                    * If you're sniffing all data on the bus you might get buffer overruns so you might want to filter by source node address.

                    What are you using for a sniffer?
                    buffer overruns? Not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about in the software layer or somewhere lower?

                    I'm not sniffing now, but as soon as my scantool comes back (I had it mod'd so I could get on the SW CAN), I'll be using it and nobdy with some sort of logging. Have any recommended sniffing software? Hopefully I can piggy-back off your work enough that i won't have to sniff much. But if the nodes are going to be that different from model year to model year (you have an '06?), then i may have to do some sniffing.
                    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sniffing the bus

                      Which scan tool? I found out my bluetooth OBDLink doesn't support SWCAN. The cheapie bluetooth doohickeys do though.
                      (http://gtosoft.webs.com/comingsoon.htm)

                      In order to pick up the commands from the BUS you basically need to put your tool in sniff mode (where it passes all data seen on the BUS to your computer) with a filter for the desired node address so you don't get everything (there's gobs of data on the bus). Then when any data comes in from that node, your software see is it through the USB or serial interface and processes it.

                      Off the top of my head, you at least need to open the serial port, initialize it, initialize the ELM327 and then start waiting for data and analyzing it as it arrives. Could be as simple as a C# or VB app that runs .bat file hooks based on the header+data it sees.

                      Buffer overruns are inevitable unless you use address filtering or crank up the serial/USB port baud rate and get the scantool to match you.

                      Also I'm curious where you can send cables to get modded for SWCAN. I've done my own handy work so far but I'm looking for a more long term solution that provides more volume than what I can do in my spare time.


                      Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                      buffer overruns? Not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about in the software layer or somewhere lower?

                      I'm not sniffing now, but as soon as my scantool comes back (I had it mod'd so I could get on the SW CAN), I'll be using it and nobdy with some sort of logging. Have any recommended sniffing software? Hopefully I can piggy-back off your work enough that i won't have to sniff much. But if the nodes are going to be that different from model year to model year (you have an '06?), then i may have to do some sniffing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Paul at obdpro did a mod on my scantool so it'd read SWCAN.
                        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Do you know if remote start is available on the SW CAN? That's on my list of awesome if it is...
                          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Remote starter via GMLAN

                            Factory installed remote-starters can be controlled over GMLAN quite easily.

                            I'll see about making a video to demonstrate.

                            Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                            Do you know if remote start is available on the SW CAN? That's on my list of awesome if it is...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              w00t. That'll save me from having to dissect my keyfob to start the car!
                              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X