X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 (facelift) Ford Focus Install

(Taken from digital-car.co.uk)

Hi,

I looked around for a while to see examples of installs for my new(ish) car - a facelift Focus 2008. But I couldn’t actually find anyone who had done it before. My previous install was posted here (will update links to photos):-

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=6866

My new install is pretty much finished, so you wont have to wait months to see the final product!!

Unfortunately my previous MG was involved in an accident and I had to purchase a new car. I already had a car pc and a motorised single din screen. This setup worked well for me in the MG, and I was looking to use the same stuff in my new car. However, as the Focus had the potential for a double din installation, I decided to go with a different set up for my screen.

Before all that, I wanted to update my pc case. I bought a Mo-Co-So case around 3 years back, so it did not have any of the extra connectors on the outside of the case:-

I purchased some new parts from Mo-Co-So again (great service) which included a new screen in a double din case, GPS module and new case ends to give me holes to mount my new connectors.

At this point, I started to make looms and install the connectors, LEDs and switches as required. I wanted to be able to disconnect the entire PC if I had to, so I made this as easy as possible. This involved making a new Mobo header to connect with the new LEDs and Switches:-

While I was “preparing” the Case, I wanted to upgrade the speakers in the car to get better sound. Again, information about this was very scarce on the internet. So much so, that I found that the 5x7 speakers that I bought don’t fit!

This is the car:-

First things first, I removed the door card to have a look at the speakers:-

As you can see, the speakers are not 5x7s…

In fact, they are pop riveted in place!!

Anyway, I decided to take em out anyway:-

I scratched my head on what to do with the speaker, and noticed that they were 1 piece:-

Of course, the next idea was to cut the speakers out completely!:-

You can just make out where I cut the legs:-

And ripped out the cone:-

Now I had the speaker out, and a frame left:-

[/URL]

The size looked kinda right, so I went on to my next idea:-

These are JBL 16.5cm speakers out of my MG that I had to hand, and they pretty much fitted perfectly in the frame (bar the speaker surround tabs):-

Once again, I put my dremel to use and cut out 4 small slots for the tabs, and cleaned up the back end:-

Now, the speaker was a perfect, snug fit:-

Next stage was the wiring. I wanted to use the original ford plugs and sockets:-

Speaker side

Car loom side

As I had cut most of the speaker, I had to get a bit creative with the speaker plug:-

And using a brace:-

So now that the speakers were done, I wanted a way to be able to remove the speakers in the future easily. Pop rivets would have to be drilled out, so I decided to use some nuts and bolts and some JBWeld:-

I let it set overnight, and put the speakers in place the next day:-

The JBL speakers were part of the component set so I found a place for the crossover:-

And mounted the tweeters in the stock location using a glue gun:-

Suffice to say, it was a vast improvement over the standard paper speakers!! Ive still to do the rears, so keep an eye on those later.

By now, I was itching to get my pc into the car. I had finished all the case stuff, and even managed to get the internal cables tidied up to improve airflow:-

The new case end:-

I also drilled some holes over the CPU fan, as it had gotten pretty hot in the past (also the reason for the larger fan).

Once I was happy with the wiring, I moved onto the car stuff.

The space:-

And my own additions – a USB port and a Illuminated Vandal switch to power the PC on\off with a red halo LED:-

I routed all the required cables from the front to the back. This included power, USB and VGA extension. I also ran speaker cables to the back as I wanted to keep the original speaker wires in the doors and the original headunit plug.

Up front I have a 4 port USB hub for a Silabs radio, the touchscreen controller, the front USB port and a space for my upcoming steering wheel joystick controller.

Heres the mess of wires going to the PC (you can see where I made a new vent –to be sprayed black):-

Onto the front screen. When I bought the “double din” case for the screen, I also decided to purchase a double din fascia adaptor for my car. However, when I managed to get both together, I found they didn’t quite match up! It turns out that you have a US double din and a European double din! So out came the dremel again and I manage to get the screen to fit like so:-

I enlarged the whole in the fascia to accept the screen, and made some brackets to secure the screen too:-

And this is how it looked:-

Not flush, but good enough. Originally, I did think about fabricating the screen into the fascia to get it flush etc, but I wanted an install that I could transfer to another car, while still looking good.

Comment

Next step, into the car:-

And with the dash back on, and really happy with the result:-

Now as I removed the head unit, the next stage was to fit an amp. I had two lying around to use for the moment. I wasn’t too fussed with high power as I will only be running door speakers (need the boot space for work  )

On the to-do list:-

Spray case black
      Upgrade rear speakers
      DAB USB radio
      Adapt Ford steering wheel joystick to USB

Comments and questions welcome!!

Asad

Comment

Here is the joypad I purchased for my steering wheel joystick conversion.

As you can see, its a nice small size - small enough to be placed behind the screen. I will be using the 10 pin socket so that I can disconnect the steering wheel joystick easily if I ever need to.

I will update as I go along.

16/06/10

I sorted out the vandal switch and wired it up:-

Asad

Comment

[Reserved for future updates1]

Comment

[Reserved for updates2]

Comment

very nice! i like
              quite a neat install
              trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

you have to tell me where you got those controllers from!
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                  you have to tell me where you got those controllers from!
                  I got it off ebay a while back. Shipped from Hong Kong and came in around £10 gbp. I cant find the seller, but here are a few others I found:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pandora-Pro-Mi...1#ht_608wt_911

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DICOTA-Beat-Mi...ht_1215wt_1124

And I didnt know this existed but looks pretty good:-

http://www.vesalia.de/e_pcmciagamepad.htm

Asad

Comment

Very impressed with how well you were able to integrate the new screen!

Comment

Looks great! What a stupid idea by Ford to make one piece speakers that are rivetted in place. Seriously...how much cost does that really save?

Comment

Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, including the sound from the speakers. Recently got Garmin Mobile PC running too.

Will get more pics hopefully this weekend when I make a start on the rear speakers.

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                        Looks great! What a stupid idea by Ford to make one piece speakers that are rivetted in place. Seriously...how much cost does that really save?
                        Yeah tell me about it! Even the rear ones are riveted in place. However, the bonus to me was a ready made speaker spacer\mount!

Comment

i like clear job

goodluck so beautfull

Comment

Lovely install. It looks very professional.

Those speaker brackets look like 5x7, but the actual speaker obviously isn't 5x7. Didn't the 5x7 fit in there once you removed the factory speaker bracket? In any case, your JBLs will probably do a much better job than most 5x7s anyway
                            2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

Originally posted by MeeM View Post
                              Lovely install. It looks very professional.

Those speaker brackets look like 5x7, but the actual speaker obviously isn't 5x7. Didn't the 5x7 fit in there once you removed the factory speaker bracket? In any case, your JBLs will probably do a much better job than most 5x7s anyway
                              The 5x7 did not fit at all. The shape of the whole is a bit weird. kinda like a 8" speaker hole with "ears"!

Comment

Working...
                              X