No announcement yet.

Ford Focus XR5 Turbo (ST) 2007 - Carpc SonicX (Many Pics)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Focus XR5 Turbo (ST) 2007 - Carpc SonicX (Many Pics)

Well i have been a long time reader on this forum and i guess i have this place to thank for the many many hours i have spent on this project not to mention the money as well.

Here is my little project i have called SonicX, it's been a love hate affair but i love her all the same.

Also a big hello to all the Aussies on here, perhaps some of my learning's will help you out in your projects.

The Car:
    • Manufacturer: Ford
    • Model: Focus XR5 Turbo (also known as ST in other markets) - LS (5 Door)
    • Colour: Performance Blue
    • Year: 2007
    • Engine: 5 Cylinder Turbo (Volve Engine)

CarPC Parts:
    • Screen: LinITX 8" Widescreen LCD
    • Aopen MP965 MiniPC (similar to Mac Mini but is PC based)
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz
    • Ram: 2GB
    • HDD: 200GB (2.5" Laptop HDD with g-force detect and head dis-engage)
    • PSU: Carnetix CNX-2140
    • Audio Stalk Controller Interface: Joycon (slows down PC post times)
    • Xbox controller (connected joystick and two exact buttons to button panel)
    • USB Hub: Belkin Powered 7port Hub
    • GPS Receiver: Mouse BU-353
    • Mic: Andrea SuperBeam Microphone
    • Bulgin Vandal Switch - Blue (PC on/off secondary button)
    • WiFi: Intel 4965AGN (Wireless N Mini Card network adapter card)
    • Ford Focus Double Din Adapter (Has been hacked up to accommodate screen)
    • Bluetooth: Mini Bluetooth Module for the Aopen MP965
    • Keyboard: Logitech diNovo Mini
    • Radio: Silab FM (yet to get working correctly)
    • Audio Amplifier: Kicker 5 Channel Amp ZX700 with Kicker slim 12" sub

• Operating System: Windows XP SP2 created with nLite
    • Frontend: RideRunner
    • Skin: Carwings Dynamic (with some little mods)
    • GPS: iGo8 for PC with 2008 maps for Australia
    • Audio: Winamp
    • GPS Stream Splitter: xport
    • Joycon: To simulator keyboard key presses for Audio stalk button presses
    • XBCD & JoyToKey: To make use of the xbox controller and buttons

• Get Radio working or upgrade to DAB+
    • Clean up my MP3 collection (expecting this will take some time)
    • Get Mobile phone connection working
    • Design my own frontend skin (be it for RideRunner or OpenMobile)

Things I Have Learnt Along The Way
    • The joycon does slow down PC post time even if set bios correctly, approx 10 seconds, i can live with it for the time being
    • We Aussies are finally getting some options for GPS (iGo8 - but is not supported, Sygic, Destinator, Garmin) but the maps are outdated.
    • Do not skim on the screen (get transflective if budget permits)
    • Buy replacement car dash components to test, replace with (so when time to sell the car just put the original trim back in )
    • Work out your budget then times by at least 2 to closer to the real figure of what you will spend
    • Don't forget about your car's electrical system, including a battery upgrade
    • Many PSU's still draw power even when not in use, (i.e. finds battery flat after not driving for 1 week )
    • Plan out your install, check and check it again
    • Expect some difficulties along the way
    • There have been times i almost gave up and went a full after market system (more expensive but damn side easier)
    • For us Aussies expect to import alot from overseas (not many options in oz unfortunately)
    • Expect this hobby to **** off your loved one so budget for some gifts
    • There are some very talented people on here and lots of experience to learn from

And Now For The Pics
    The Car

The PC & PSU Power Button Hookup

Car Center Console

Little Button Panel

Car Cabling

USB Hub and Glovebox

PC, Amp, WiFi Antenna Install

SonicX signing out, questions feedback welcome.

I am curious about what kind of wifi adapter you're using? I know of pci and pci-e adapters, but their antennas connect directly to the card on the back on the pc.

Hello Metric1999,

The WiFi adapter is the Intel 4965AGN PCIe network adapter card (Product Info)

The network card has connectors to connect antenna's to it (see pic 4 above).

Currently i only have the 2.4Ghz antenna's extended out and connected.

Beautiful car and very nice integration!
        My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Nice car...

I've been procrastinating over my '07 LT for what seems like ages now. My biggest stumbling block was, I also bought a 8" widescreen, but then thought it wouldn't fit. You have the green Sony headunit where I have the red one. That means the hole in your fascia is square and mine is ovalish. Ford want $130 for a new one!!

But, the widescreen fits OK? I also can't get the fascia off! I can unclip the lugs at the top but then I get stuck. Do I need to take of the heating knobs? OK, basically how do I remove the fascia?

I started a worklog but stopped as we moved house. Hopefully this will pick up my interest again.

Thank you PhilG and tag141,

Yes i have the square sony radio from factory (lights up green) in mid 2007 Ford changed to the rounded sony head units (light up red i think).

As far as i'm aware you have to remove the facia (held on by clips) you then get access to the screws holding the radio in.

Check out either:
   (The Aussie Forum), or

Originally posted by SoulR View Post
     Aussie Forum)
              I bought my Focus from a dealer on there but as a forum it drives me mad. A decent thread will start and within a few posts it just degrades into a colour slanging match. I can't be bothered with that.

I think I can work out from your photos where the clips are.

The 8" widescreen fits without a problem in the radio space?

Are you using the factory speakers?

How do you connect the PC to the amp?

Hi tag141,

The 8" sidescreen only just fits (approx 2 mm in height to spare) if i had my time again i would get a good 7" widescreen and use one of the double din adapters to integrate it into the dash.

As for the speakers i did upgrade them from factory to something a little better (still users the factory wiring from where the head unit use to be).

PC Audio is connected to the amp via 1 x 3.5mm to RCA cable (1.5m long) and i use the fader option on the amp to produce the 4.1 channels.

On that note i was using 2 x 3.5 to RCA cables but found all by audio sources are 2 channel anyway and also the PC audio would thump on start-up (although i get around this by delaying the amp turn-on via the carnetix psu) if i use any audio out other than the main one (i.e. the top audio out).

I fell in Love with your focus! Beautiful Modification!

Sir, i am deeply impressed by your work! Nice Job!

Out of curiosity, did the Aopen power pack for the carnetix work with this MP45-DR? I was thinking about doing something similar to this but was hesitant about going this route.

Nice build!

Just wondering how you got a hold of that little button panel? Did you fabricate that yourself?

The carnetix Aopen power pack is a direct plug-in for the Aopen MP945 (i.e. creates a Y split to you power button so it can turn the PC on / off via the ACPI wires).

Thank you, although i had a little help but yes i fabricated the button panel myself in the end.

Ah nice. I have a 2006 LT Focus which has pretty much the same facia as yours so I'm planning on putting a computer in. You mentioned that if you would do it again you would put a different screen in? Why's that and do you have any recommendations?

Hey sam0433450,

Yeah if i had my time again i would get the best 7" screen i could get (transflective) and get a din double adapter for the screen and the car, job done.

Although having the extra 1" is nice it was too close for comfort and a lot of effort to get it to fit (i think there is about 2 mm to spare). The problem was not the width it was the height which forced me to get a customer built thing going on.

Also the availability of good 8" screens compared to good 7" is a great deal less which in the end costs more.