• weather radar
    • blind spot detection
    • embedded SBC for telemetry and security
    • and more...
    Attached Files
    DJF

David Falkenstein
    Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

There's a blindspot on a motorcycle? Hmm that's a new one on me. Also wondering what you do when a flash rain starts?

Comment

Of course there is a blind spot - especially when you have on a helmet. This feature will left one know when there is metal close to the bike on either side.

The monitor is rugged and very "resistant" to water. The cores are in waterproof enclosures.
      DJF

David Falkenstein

Comment

That screen is looking crispy on a sunny day tho. Gotta be transflective. Have any pics of how the pc is mounted?
        1997 Acura CL (Capacitive Touch, GPS, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera)

Comment

These are shots of the core. There is also a Phidget SBC running telemetry and sensors that report back to the core asynchronously.

The case is a re-purposed TE288 with extensive internal modification to house a VIA pico-ITX. SSD's for vibration resistance. The location of the core in the "stingray" allow for airflow while protecting the device from moisture.

This is my mule bike. I am packaging this whole rig for various environments and adding my own software. I will have a build for touring bikes such as this. I will also have a build for adventure riders in a more rugged enclosure.
          Attached Files
          DJF

David Falkenstein

Comment

What pico are you running, the 830? I dont think any of the other via pico's can run Centrafuse 3.1/5/6 smoothly.
            Last edited by m2x0p9x; 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM.
            1997 Acura CL (Capacitive Touch, GPS, DVD, HD Radio, Backup Camera)

Comment

Yes, sort of. This is the pico 820. I am on Windows for the moment. I will be trashing the OS and running a skinny Linux.

I don't plan to continue to use Centrafuse. It is a fine product, but unfortunately development is too slow for my needs.

On this platform the use case is different. I don't care about video playback, or chat, or web surfing, or a myriad of other toy features. In this environment entertainment is a secondary concern.

In my opinion we focus too much on geeky tweaks. These platforms are much more powerful and can host serious software.

My goal is to elevate this hobby to a serious business. As such I am focused on safety and survivability. I want the system to save my life, or tell me where the vehicle is if it is missing, or tell my family where I am at on the road, or to document a crash, or to facilitate communications with my pack. Only then should it play music.

I am looking for partners to develop the system.
              Last edited by CohesiveTech; 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM.
              DJF

David Falkenstein

Comment

Originally posted by CohesiveTech View Post

My goal is to elevate this hobby to a serious business. As such I am focused on safety and survivability. I want the system to save my life, or tell me where the vehicle is if it is missing, or tell my family where I am at on the road, or to document a crash, or to facilitate communications with my pack. Only then should it play music.

Good luck and look forward to future updates.
                PriiDash(TM) open source software
                Enhanced Instrument Panel and Data Logger

Comment

This is awesome! I've seen at least one BMW K series here, do a search. Very cool project, please keep us posted.
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Ok I have to ask, how did you getting weather radar to work and what/how are you doing the blind spot detection?

And do you have this working on linux yet?

What flaver of linux are you using? Ubuntu, meego ivi, puppy??

I would sure like something like that on my bike. I mmean since I live in tx where you get to ride 10 months out of the year it would sure be nice.

Comment

Weather (sill in development, but based on boilerplate from various sources) will require a live connection - either my Droid or my MiFi card.

For the OS, I am leaning toward Ubuntu, but I am watching Android-x86 very closely. This is why I am waiting until the Fall to rip out the OS. I also want to see what Meego matures into. If I go with Ubuntu there is a new IVI configuration coming to market in August. With Meego, you are all-in. With Android-x86 I would need to rip out the display for one that supports multi-touch.

Everything is a trade off.

I do a lot of C# development so a FE such as OpenMobile is also possible. Again I am waiting to see where the market goes while I mature my SBC code.
                      DJF

David Falkenstein

Comment

Originally posted by CohesiveTech View Post
                        Weather (sill in development, but based on boilerplate from various sources) will require a live connection - either my Droid or my MiFi card.

For the OS, I am leaning toward Ubuntu, but I am watching Android-x86 very closely. This is why I am waiting until the Fall to rip out the OS. I also want to see what Meego matures into. If I go with Ubuntu there is a new IVI configuration coming to market in August. With Meego, you are all-in. With Android-x86 I would need to rip out the display for one that supports multi-touch.

Everything is a trade off.

I do a lot of C# development so a FE such as OpenMobile is also possible. Again I am waiting to see where the market goes while I mature my SBC code.
                        i was under the impression that android-x86 did now support the use of gps with google mads wich would make it some what useless for that i would need to rely on.(kinda new to the big city) but i did not know that ubuntu was coming out with a IVI. i have been kicking around the idea of using the UMPC or netbook interface but im so use to using gnome and i havent had the time to play with the new UI any. i tried meego... good idea just wasnt impressed. maybe in 2.XX they will have it to something usable.

i had this idea last winter of a "web page" as the front end. i know that doesnt really make since but think of it this way, a web page is easy to lay out, even i can do it. so my idea was to make a farly simple page that had nice big buttens for my fat fingers and link the button to a script to did something(volUp, volDn, next... launch file, etc.... ) it seemed like a good idea for some one that doesnt know anything about programing.

just an after thought but is there a compatibility layer for android apps? something like wine. i know ubuntu was working on it a year or two ago but havent heard anything since.

Comment

MAJOR Success! I just finished almost 1400 miles of "burn in" with the Bike-PC system. This in the heat the north USA has been under. Core temps approached a sustained 65 degrees celcius when I intentionally disabled the cooling system for a 12 hour period. This is a rugged 1-DIN (7" x 2" x 7") prototype. The system uses an SSD on a VIA nano pico-ITX.

The installation is built specifically not to draw attention to itself. There is little inherent security on a motorcycle. Alarm systems only take you so far; nothing you can easily carry protects against vandals.

I learned a lot with this ride. I highly recommend an extreme burn-in if you have a system you will depend on.

A PC used in this configuration must depend on remote switches located at the rider's fingertips and voice. I have put heavy emphasis on this development.
                          I now get to analyze the data to see the ride's telemetry.
                          DJF

David Falkenstein

Comment

great project! it's nice to see car pc's used practically like this.

i may have something that you'd be interested in as well. im currently dev'ing a tablet pc based car-pc for my boat. the tablet is designed to withstand waterspray, lasts 8 hours on a charge and i have it connected to various i/o boards and solid state hard drives wirelessly (though on a bike you could just use a dock connector to a usb hub). This could make it more bike friendly by being able to quickly detach it from the dock and stow it away.
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I intend to go the tablet route; or at a minimum something the size of a Droid X. My current setup has been in development for three years now - before the new tablets and phones where released.
                              I envision people making better use of what they already have.
                              DJF

David Falkenstein

Comment

Working...
                              X