2005 Dodge Magnum _ Galaxy Tab install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Dodge Magnum _ Galaxy Tab install

I've had a carputer in my Magnum for many years but after using my android phone for music the PC frontends felt so clunky in comparison so I finally decided to ditch the carputer and go with an android tablet, I ended up choosing the Galaxy Tab (7") for it's size and that it was capable of being charged and having audio out thru the same connector port.

The old carputer install:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	carputer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2307627

The car:

Name:	magnum.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	2307631

The new install.

I ended up with a new headunit because the old one got stolen when the car was in the shop, fortunately the shop payed for it and the new one was an upgrade so it was a win win situation there.

I purchased the dock for the Galaxy Tab and the car charger:

Name:	dock.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	2307628

Name:	charger.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2307629

Since the install was for the tablet is horizontal and the dock is designed to hold it vertical I had to do some modifications to it, I wrapped the tablet in plastic wrap, stuck it in the dock and wrapped the back side and bottom edge with fiberglass to hold the tablet in the dock while horizontal, I then attached a hinge to the base of the dock which is on the right side and on the left side I mounted one of those magnetic cabinet catches they use on desk hutches where you push it it and then it pops out, this way I can remove the tablet easily while maintaining a clean looking install.

When the tablet is in the dock it's being charged via the car charger installed behind the dash and hooked up to the line input on the headunit via the line out on the dock.

Here's a picture of the dock without the tablet installed:

Name:	tablet1.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	2307632

And here it is with the tablet installed into the dock:

Name:	tablet2.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	2307630

I've had it installed for a few weeks now and took a 1500 mile road trip and thus far I love it, the music interface is very nice, especially for advancing tracks, having google maps for GPS is awesome, plus being able to use apps that alert me of speed cams, speed limits, etc is great, plus no more waiting for windows to boot up, I simple start the car, pop the tablet in, unlock it and hit play, the only downside is that while the music player app can start and stop via plugging and un-plugging the headphones it doesn't work via the dock so I have to manually pause the music when I get out of the car and unpause when I get back in.
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT, Samsung Galaxy Tab install

Cool install!! Does the dock hold in place well when you hit bumps? what are the dimensions of the Tablet + the dock? was thinking about buying one and using that instead. I have been waiting on the cash to buy a screen to use in my car, I have everything else but a screen, I was looking at a tab thinking that may just be a solution at close to the price of a screen.

Comment

Originally posted by shiltz View Post
      I mounted one of those magnetic cabinet catches they use on desk hutches where you push it it and then it pops out
      Good idea

Originally posted by shiltz View Post
      so I have to manually pause the music when I get out of the car and unpause when I get back in
      You should get Tasker, a little expensive for a mobile app, but it's pretty handy.
      https://market.android.com/details?i...ndroid.taskerm
      Android Tablet In-Car Sliding Dock using hacked DVD drive

Comment

Originally posted by hotwired_1 View Post
        Cool install!! Does the dock hold in place well when you hit bumps? what are the dimensions of the Tablet + the dock? was thinking about buying one and using that instead. I have been waiting on the cash to buy a screen to use in my car, I have everything else but a screen, I was looking at a tab thinking that may just be a solution at close to the price of a screen.
        Yup, I've driven the car about 2000 miles now since installing it and no issues at all.

With the dock and the tablet it's about 7.75" wide and 4.875" tall at the widest point when the tablet is horizontal.

Originally posted by badmonkey23 View Post
        You should get Tasker, a little expensive for a mobile app, but it's pretty handy.
        https://market.android.com/details?i...ndroid.taskerm
        Thanks, that app seems perfect, bought it and setup some profiles on my tablet, so will see how it works when I head home from work tonight

Comment

Which media player are you using? Do you have external controls for it or just the touchscreen? I'm working on something similar in my M3.

Comment

Originally posted by TunaCanyon View Post
            Which media player are you using? Do you have external controls for it or just the touchscreen? I'm working on something similar in my M3.
            I'm using PowerAMP as it seemed to suit what I wanted, specifically being able to browse via folders instead of ID3 tags which I find so cluttered and annoying, it supports gestures flicking left or right to change tracks and up or down to change folders and it it has an option to keep the screen on in full brightness whenever it is running in the foreground.

Nope, I don't have any external controls atm, just the touch screen.

Comment

Looks good. I just switched from my mac to my Galaxy Tab in my car... so much easier and less wiring.

Comment

I took a quick little video of docking the tablet into the car so people can see exactly how it goes it

Comment

That's pretty slick. I'm looking for ideas on what I would to do in my SRT-10. This just might be the way I go.

Comment

Very smart install! I'm searching for a method to install a tablet (probably the galaxy tab 7) in my 2006 Alfa Romeo GT, and this seems the less intrusive and most practical.
                    Could you post some detailed photos of the modified dock?
                    Do you connect the original dock directly to the power and use an external amp?
                    My NEW worklog: coming soon

Old worklog: 2006 Alfa Romeo GT - Removable In-Dash Android Tablet install (Samsung Galaxy Tab 7")

Comment

It was capable of being charged and having audio out thru the same connector port.[IMG]it was capable of being charged and having audio out thru the same connector port.[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by papinist View Post
                        Very smart install! I'm searching for a method to install a tablet (probably the galaxy tab 7) in my 2006 Alfa Romeo GT, and this seems the less intrusive and most practical.
                        Could you post some detailed photos of the modified dock?
                        Do you connect the original dock directly to the power and use an external amp?
                        Sadly i'm bad at taking pics of projects while i'm working on them so I don't have any pics of just the modifed dock, though I really didn't do that much, I fiberglassed that added portion to make the dock taller with the lip to hold the tablet horizonally which you can see in the pic and attached a hinge to the base of it to mount it to the car. I'll see if I can take the dash panel off and snap a few close up pics of the dock tomorrow or saturday.

The dock has a charging port that the charging cable plugs into and there's a 12v socket inside the dash to plug the car power adaptor into and then the line out on the dock is plugged into the aux input on the rear of my headunit.
                        Last edited by shiltz; 03-15-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

thanks for the specs. I almost understand all the passages, but I need to have all parts to start imagine all mounted.
                          I will start my own worklog thread as soon as I receive my tab!

Did the modified dock be 'opened' to access the back, or you have to remove the entire dash panel? I'm thinking to put a little amplifier just behind that dock (I will remove the head unit) and accessing it could be useful.

Some photos would be great

Old worklog: 2006 Alfa Romeo GT - Removable In-Dash Android Tablet install (Samsung Galaxy Tab 7")

Comment

Sorry it took me a bit longer than I though to get the pics because i'm in the middle of packing and moving, here's the pics of the dock with the dash panel removed

Name:	dock1.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2283895

Name:	dock2.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2283896

This is a view from inside where the hinge is attached to the dock, the dock is on the right side, the brown stuff is fiberglass reinforced bondo, I couldn't screw it out there because there's a PC board behind that area in the dock.

Name:	dock3.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2283897
                            Last edited by shiltz; 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

great photos, thanks

the extension for the original tablet dock seems to me the most difficult part. I will buy one kit on ebay and try with something else, before the real work..

HERE is my thread, hope I will make a good installation like yours!

Comment

Working...
                              X