Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Toyota Corolla S - Custom CarPC Build (Lots of photos)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Toyota Corolla S - Custom CarPC Build (Lots of photos)

06/01/12 - Dual Screen upgrade on pg.4

This is my CarPC project - I will be installing it in my 2010 Toyota Corolla S. I have quite a few pictures of the build and I finally received the last of the parts that I needed to complete it. I will be installing it this weekend hopefully. I have just about 2 weeks into this project, I lost count of the hours and $$$ that it took to design and build it. Lots of custom fabrication work on my end. Have a look at my progress so far

The barebones of the build consists of a ASUS F1A75-1 Deluxe Motherboard, AMD A8 3870 APU, and 8GB of DDR3 1600 RAM.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	2307683

Bundled with the motherboard was this rather convenient wireless remote/keyboard that seems to be perfect for the CarPC

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	2307684

This is the back of it

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	2307685

The in-dash monitor is a modified Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T with the Resistive touch replaced with a Multi-Touch Capacitive panel - it's VERY nice!

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	2307686

Monitor assembled in the Double-DIN mounting bracket

Name:	05.jpg
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	2307687

I have a 4-ch JBL amp and a Monoblock Kenwood amp to power my speakers - I will be using this Clarion EQ/Line Driver to up the sound cards output to 7Vrms to reduce any noise and lower the gain on the amps

Name:	06.jpg
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	2307688

I didn't want to use any pre-made cases, and most mini-itx cases wouldn't work with what I wanted anyhow. I decided to install everything in my Glovebox (my car has 2 compartments so I didn't mind sacrificing the lower one). I needed to level out the base of it and make a durable platform to start with. I used 22ga steel as the mounting plate for the components - contoured to the inside of the Glovebox.

Name:	07.jpg
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	2307689

I needed to make my own motherboard tray, so I used 22ga aluminum for that.

Name:	08.jpg
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	2307690

Pattern is stenciled out, stand-offs are in place, and it's ready to be cut out.

Name:	09.jpg
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	2307691

This was just a test fit to make sure everything was in check

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	2307692

I will be using a 250W (300W Peak) Intelligent Automotive ATX PSU, a Sony Blu-Ray Slim Slot-Load Optical drive, and a Samsung 128GB SATA3 SSD (over 500MB/s R/W)

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	2307693

Standard Metra mounting bracket I modified to fit the Blu-ray drive under the monitor - just a test fit

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	2307694

I will be using 2 60mm High RPM fans (1-in/1-out) to keep everything happy and cool - stencils I used for the cutouts

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	2307695

The APU is an AMD 3870 3GHz Quad-Core (I OC'd it to 3.3GHz)

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	2307696

Random install picture

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	2307697

I cleaned off the factory Thermal Paste and used Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	2307698

It's a light coating even though it doesn't look like it

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	2307699

8GB of DDR3 1600 Corsair RAM

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	2307700

Motherboard assembled

Name:	19.jpg
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	2307701

The ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe motherboard is VERY feature rich - SATA3, USB 3.0, UEFI BIOS, WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI, list goes on. *On a side note, even though the onboard bluetooth supports everything for a mobile phone it is not recognized by Centrafuse unfortunately

Name:	20.jpg
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	2307702

This is the Metra kit before my Carbon Fiber overlay

Name:	21.jpg
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	2307703

This is it after, but pre-clearcoat

Name:	22.jpg
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	2307704

Another test fit before I cleared it to make sure the added thickness didn't affect anything

Name:	23.jpg
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	2307705

Clear coated and fully assembled!

Name:	24.jpg
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	2307706

This was the first power-up - Installing UEFI Windows 7 x64

Name:	25.jpg
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	2307707

Overview picture of the system

Name:	26.jpg
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	2307708

Windows WEI Scores - The Samsung SSD is maxed out at 7.9 - From cold boot to fully ready in less than 10sec - no joke!

Name:	27.jpg
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	2307709

Final Product - WiFi antennas down

Name:	28.jpg
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	2307710

Final Product - WiFi antennas up. I know it's not the most pleasing eye-candy to look at, but it's fast, it works, and hardly anyone is going to see it in the Glovebox anyhow.

Name:	29.jpg
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	2307711

Rest of the parts came today. Sirf III GPS antenna with modified Baud Rate, Directed AM/FM/HD tuner with USB interface kit, Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Interface, Phoenix Audio MT107A Echo-Canceling Microphone, and Centrafuse 4.0 with Navigation.

Name:	30.jpg
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	2307712

I will add more pictures of the actual installation this weekend!

UPDATE!! - Install Completed

Ok, after about 7-8hrs of installation time it's finally installed. I ran into quite a few issues with fitment (mainly the Glovebox due to the external fans) - but it wasn't terrible. I ran 8ga wire to the Power Supply since it can draw upwards of 25A at peak power (I know 8ga is tad overkill for 25A but I had it laying around). It's fast, runs great, and one of a kind

8ga power wire (this is on top of the 4ga I have running to my amps - tight fit)

Glovebox installed

I noticed this space here was easily accessible and I was able to fit the mics perfectly

The monitor and blu-ray bracket installed

Re-installing Windows after I accidently crashed the damn thing

Everything buttoned up and me checking my e-mail
    Last edited by XAndyJX; 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM. Reason: Dual Screen Upgrade!

Looks great!

A couple of things: I have an ASUS board as well, albeit an older model. I ordered a BT dongle from ebay, took it apart and the receiver on my board apart, then unsoldered the one from the board and replaced it with the one from ebay. RR sees it fine; CF should as well especially if you order one from their approved HW list.

Second, could you report back with how well the Phoenix Audio unit works? That is next on my purchase list.

Mal
    Vehicle: [100%] 1995 C 1500 ECLB
    Gear: [90%]
    Build: [80%] PC & Chassis, Worklog

Comment

Thanks, I ordered an approved BT Dongle and should hopefully be here today. That's an interesting suggestion to replace the onboard BT board! I'll look into that... As soon as I get everything buttoned up I'll be sure to post with feedback on how it turns out. For the cost of that Phoenix Audio microphone it better be worth it :\

Comment

Good Install log!

Which multi-touch panel did you use?

Comment

Hard to say as I ordered it that way with the capacitive swap already done. From what little information I was able to gather possibly off of some Lenovo device - can't say for sure though. Works really well and no drivers needed for Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by XAndyJX View Post
            Thanks, I ordered an approved BT Dongle and should hopefully be here today. That's an interesting suggestion to replace the onboard BT board! I'll look into that... As soon as I get everything buttoned up I'll be sure to post with feedback on how it turns out. For the cost of that Phoenix Audio microphone it better be worth it :\
            Patiently waiting your thoughts on the PA mic. In the meantime, here is the link to another member who had an ASUS board and how we replaced the BT receiver. BT Swap Scroll down to post #25 for my crappy pics and details.

Mal

Comment

nice... i have a 2011 corolla... got everything from my other car..just got the do the swap... good work
              CarPc
              Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

Ok, I updated the first post with the final install pictures... Everything is working great! As for the P.A. Mic set - it works really well no one can hear anything else other than me talking no matter how loud I crank up the volume. I really don't have any other echo-canceling mics to compare it to, but for the money it does it's job.

Comment

Originally posted by XAndyJX View Post
                  Ok, I updated the first post with the final install pictures... Everything is working great! As for the P.A. Mic set - it works really well no one can hear anything else other than me talking no matter how loud I crank up the volume. I really don't have any other echo-canceling mics to compare it to, but for the money it does it's job.
                  Looks great; like it came that way from the factory! Also its good to know the PA Mic works so well, especially at such a long low distance. Thanks for your review. I will get one ASAP.

What did you figure out for your BT?

Mal

Comment

Mt107a

How is the MT107A working where the microphones are installed below the steering wheel?
                    I have a 2009 Corolla S, have the MT107A, but will not be installing until spring when warmer, was going to run the cable behind a A pillar trim on passanger side, between the front windsheild and passanger door, under the headlineer to the map lamp and install where there are two vents on each side.

Comment

Looks great! Nice install pics too!

Comment

baaa, i just got done praising your choice in tech up and down and my post didn't work. SOO needless to say i'm extremely impressed and plan on copying a lot of what you used top notch mate! Got a few quick q's though.

1. Could you give me a one line flow of how you're hooking up your audio. Because I want to not have a headunit at all, i mean if i'm going to get a beast of a machine like the one you have i would hope I would just harness its awsome processing and memory to power my system. I have a 4 channel amp and a mono for my subs. As i understand it the clarion offers 6 rca preamp outputs, so it could serve as the perfect intemediary? And would you just take a 3.5 to split rca from the headphone jack in the motherboard to get to the clarion?

2. How is your cpu/motherboard setup? I would imagine that more than enough to run through bluerays and 3d games no? And specifically the little remote/keyboard, does it compare to stuff like the rii wel;?

3. That steering wheel microcontroller, did it sync well with yoru steering wheel buttons, i have a camry so its gonna be a good relfection of how it would work in mine.

lastly, why did you replace that thermal goo?

Comment

do you have any up close shots of your power supply and how the power is hooked up

Comment

Originally posted by bossman137 View Post
                            baaa, i just got done praising your choice in tech up and down and my post didn't work. SOO needless to say i'm extremely impressed and plan on copying a lot of what you used top notch mate! Got a few quick q's though.

1. Could you give me a one line flow of how you're hooking up your audio. Because I want to not have a headunit at all, i mean if i'm going to get a beast of a machine like the one you have i would hope I would just harness its awsome processing and memory to power my system. I have a 4 channel amp and a mono for my subs. As i understand it the clarion offers 6 rca preamp outputs, so it could serve as the perfect intemediary? And would you just take a 3.5 to split rca from the headphone jack in the motherboard to get to the clarion?

2. How is your cpu/motherboard setup? I would imagine that more than enough to run through bluerays and 3d games no? And specifically the little remote/keyboard, does it compare to stuff like the rii wel;?

3. That steering wheel microcontroller, did it sync well with yoru steering wheel buttons, i have a camry so its gonna be a good relfection of how it would work in mine.

lastly, why did you replace that thermal goo?
                            1) The 3.5mm line output from the Car PC goes to the Phoenix Audio MT107A, I have a Y-splitter on there so it doesn't use the MT107A pass-through. From there it goes to the Clarion EQ/Line Driver then each set of outputs goes to the corresponding amp. This works out perfectly and the sound is better than any aftermarket head unit I've owned.

2) The setup is quite powerful, the system is in Windows and loading Centrafuse in about 10-12Sec. The graphics WEI is 6.7, not quite powerful enough to run the latest games at max settings - but it's PLENTY for Blurays, DVDs, and any media on the internet. My resolution is always running at 1280x720 with zero graphic lag on anything I've thrown at it so far.

3) It works very well and the auto detection feature is great. My Corolla has a total of 5 buttons (Vol+, Vol-, Track+, Track-, Mode) and a neat feature is it allows programing for short presses, and long presses - in other words I have 10 different buttons programed to 5 buttons.

4) I've built many systems over the years and Arctic Silver Thermal Paste always seems to help with CPU temps - it's no water cooling but every degree helps

Thanks for check my build out!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoPCGuy View Post
                              do you have any up close shots of your power supply and how the power is hooked up
                              Yes:

Basically, it takes the +12V off the battery for the main power and the +12V IGN switch so it knows when to power on/off. It has a 20/24pin motherboard harness, 2xSATA, 2xMolex, 1xP4, 1xFloppy and it'll put out 250W continuous (300W Peak). It also has a 12V remote output to turn all my amps on.

Comment

Working...
                              X