2001 Civic with In-dash Acer Iconia A100 Android tablet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Civic with In-dash Acer Iconia A100 Android tablet

Hopefully I'm posting in the correct thread. I apologize if not.

I just wanted to post a video of my Android tablet installation that I "completed" recently. It's a 7" Acer Iconia A100 installed where the factory radio would normally be. I pulled out the stereo and pocket and then removed the metal bracket that holds those in place. I had to notch the plastic posts that hold the bracket so that the tablet could slide into place. Everything fits pretty snug and there hasn't been any noticeable movement.

The only issue I'm having is figuring out where to install the EQ. I'd actually be happy with just a volume knob installed next to the cig lighter, but I'm not familiar with the hardware that would accomplish that. It would have to have an RCA input like the EQ does. If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears.

For a simple volume control, you could run the headphone output to a JL Cleansweep which flattens the processed sound, gives you a volume knob, and then you can equalize (process) it, and amplify it. Nice install!!

Comment

Thanks Scott. Looks like that Cleansweep is a bit pricier than I'd like. I may just settle on a 1/4 din EQ. Amazon has one for $40 and I feel like I can make a spot for it near the cig lighter by the cup holders.

Comment

Nice installation! I'm currently planning the install of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus in my 06 Altima SE R, I've figured out most of my hardware I'm going to use, just need to drill down the software side of it all.

How do you like using the stock Android Interface in the car? Is it too difficult to hit the small icons? Do you use the default Music app or a different one?

Oh and as for a volume control knob, here is one to check out: RCA Volume Control Knob (there are tons of other ones out there too, just google "RCA Volume Control Knob")
        Worklog: 2006 Nissan Altima SER CarTab!

Comment

Thanks Diablo. I haven't had too many issues with the stock interface. Occasionally I'll have to tap a couple times before I hit the buttons, but normally I hit first time. There are some car home apps that I've tried and they work ok, just nothing I've been 100% satisfied with so I generally stick to my normal homescreen with just the essential app shortcuts sitting there. I had Tasker set up to launch a car home app when the ignition was turned on, but again, it just didn't quite work for me. My setup is still a work in progress, so hopefully I'll find something I'm happy with soon.

As far as a music app, I use Google Music because all of my mp3s are in the cloud now and with that app and my tethered phone I can get to everything in my collection. I also use IHeartRadio to listen to my favorite local station.

Thanks for the volume knob link. I think I've actually run across that exact one in my past searches, but didn't pull the trigger on it because I need 4 outputs. The 2 outputs could definitely be split, but you don't have any fade option at that point and I've actually been using the fade on my EQ here and there. However, with the EQ sitting on top of the only 2 cup holders I'm starting to wonder just how much I need a fader and EQ.

Good luck with your installation and send a link when you get it up and running!

Comment

no need for the eq to be visible at all, turn the volume on it to the max or close to the max and hide it like you did with the amp...

install an app called button savior https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FydC5zd2tleSJd

and you can have the volume "knob" on your screen...

as stock as possible

btw I really like your install, it looks great
            laptop based e46 carpc

Comment

nice

very nice, looks good

Comment

Originally posted by kopperlis123
                I love this review I really love it
                Thanks Kopperlis

Originally posted by patrik999 View Post
                no need for the eq to be visible at all, turn the volume on it to the max or close to the max and hide it like you did with the amp...

install an app called button savior https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FydC5zd2tleSJd

and you can have the volume "knob" on your screen...

as stock as possible

btw I really like your install, it looks great
                Interesting idea. My only hangup will be that I actually like having the physical knob for volume. Having the tactile feedback keeps my eyes on the road that much more. Thanks for the suggestion and feedback!

Comment

Really nice mod, looks clean and neat.
                  I think an anti-glare screen protector can make it look even better, will cut down that glare and fingerprints.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenixfx View Post
                    Really nice mod, looks clean and neat.
                    I think an anti-glare screen protector can make it look even better, will cut down that glare and fingerprints.
                    Thanks, I agree about the anti-glare. The fingerprints and glare are a hassle.

Comment

btbond...for about $60 i would get this (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UqtNMtn...io-CL-RLC.html) Had it for my carpc and now for my android setup.

http://www.mp3car.com/the-review-pal...ed-preamp.html

Comment

Pretty awesome. If that tablet had an ips screen the viewing angles would improve.

Comment

Yeah, IPS screens are nice. My Asus Transformer has one and I love it.

Comment

How did you manage to eliminate the hum from the A100? I am testing at home now and(AV Receiver and A100 plugged into the same socket):
                            1. If I touch the screen it catches buzz
                            2. If I plug the charger it is just NO go
                            3. If I place the tab near an emitting source(laptop display/GSM/Car Nav Display) it catches buzzes as well
                            Reading in google on issue "ground loop" is an endless research. Most of the ground loop isolators remove the hum but also remove the lows/degrade the sound, the onse that are the real deal cost as much as the A100 itself...
                            Please help

Comment

Sorry FUTiE, I've not heard of that issue. I haven't ever heard any hum from the tablet. Are you hearing hum when it's plugged and not plugged in? I wonder if it's just a problem when plugged into an AC source.

Comment

Working...
                              X