Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle Fire Rooted with ICS CM9 installed into a Volvo S70

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kindle Fire Rooted with ICS CM9 installed into a Volvo S70



    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120815_232611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	867.1 KB
ID:	2309346

    The Kindle Fire has almost the exact dimensions of the double din in a Volvo S70, (98-2000) as far as i know....

    I simply create a hotspot on my android GsII or a mobile hotspot device and have the Kindle Fire connect to that, that being said it has GPS (through Hotspot) and internet.

    Kindle Runs to my audio input and thus awesomeness.

    Over all the project was around $230

    I did very slight dremeling to dash, all looks oem.

    Please let me know if you would like more pictures and please leave comments
    Never accept STOCK equipment.

  • #2
    Hello,
    Nice setup you have now...
    I have one question. You said you can use GPS being connected to the SGSII. Do you have any app for that, to share the GPS signal in the network? Or it will take automatically the position out of 3G network and that is all it needs for navigation?
    Thank you!

    Comment


    • #3
      Gps

      Originally posted by catalinux View Post
      Hello,
      Nice setup you have now...
      I have one question. You said you can use GPS being connected to the SGSII. Do you have any app for that, to share the GPS signal in the network? Or it will take automatically the position out of 3G network and that is all it needs for navigation?
      Thank you!
      Unfortunately you cannot use your 3g for navigation but you can tether your phones gps to your device through wifi: (see link below)

      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gps_lite&hl=en

      http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic....ilit=TetherGPS
      Last edited by knownchild; 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM.
      Never accept STOCK equipment.

      Comment


      • #4
        OK, thanks for the info!

        Comment


        • #5
          That is a clean install with a tablet. How is readability in sunlight in a car environment?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jayknight View Post
            That is a clean install with a tablet. How is readability in sunlight in a car environment?
            Never have an issue with sunlight, i can read it at all times.
            Never accept STOCK equipment.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jayknight View Post
              That is a clean install with a tablet. How is readability in sunlight in a car environment?
              That is awesome news. This will inspired my own build.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi I just watched your video.

                I wanted to make a few comments with your setup of the tablet, I've played with mine so when the power turns on, it automatically start up, no loading.

                You said you've used tasker, it can be tricky to get working, I had much swearing before I figured it out. But it's worth it, I'd recommend getting tasker to sense when the tablet is powered on or off. When the power is unplugged (car turned off), make it go into airport mode, and screen off, and if you really want to play cycle down the cpu. In this state, depending on the battery you can get a week minimum, with the nexus 7 I got 2 weeks before it died, and I was still using it a little.

                Then when it's powered on (key turned on), make it screen on, out of airport mode, cpu cycled up, skip the lock screen, and go into whatever app you like, ie radio/torque, and auto tether to your phone, and always stay on, ect.

                Then it'll work without you touching a thing. The load up time with yours would bug me, this way would be up and running within 2 or 3 seconds of power.

                Let me know if you want a hand programming tasker, it's honestly the best way to go, I can talk you through it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That would be great

                  Originally posted by columnmn View Post
                  Hi I just watched your video.

                  I wanted to make a few comments with your setup of the tablet, I've played with mine so when the power turns on, it automatically start up, no loading.

                  You said you've used tasker, it can be tricky to get working, I had much swearing before I figured it out. But it's worth it, I'd recommend getting tasker to sense when the tablet is powered on or off. When the power is unplugged (car turned off), make it go into airport mode, and screen off, and if you really want to play cycle down the cpu. In this state, depending on the battery you can get a week minimum, with the nexus 7 I got 2 weeks before it died, and I was still using it a little.

                  Then when it's powered on (key turned on), make it screen on, out of airport mode, cpu cycled up, skip the lock screen, and go into whatever app you like, ie radio/torque, and auto tether to your phone, and always stay on, ect.

                  Then it'll work without you touching a thing. The load up time with yours would bug me, this way would be up and running within 2 or 3 seconds of power.

                  Let me know if you want a hand programming tasker, it's honestly the best way to go, I can talk you through it.
                  I do believe tasker saves the task settings to a file, if you could somehow export that i could add it to my tasker and see how you have that setup.
                  Much appreciated
                  Never accept STOCK equipment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How do you get it to play through your cars speakers, what did you use?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LexLux View Post
                      How do you get it to play through your cars speakers, what did you use?
                      3.5mm headphone jack to amp
                      Never accept STOCK equipment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by knownchild View Post
                        I do believe tasker saves the task settings to a file, if you could somehow export that i could add it to my tasker and see how you have that setup.
                        Much appreciated
                        As of yesterday, I just broke my tablet, the screens are way too easy to smash, I've got a new screen coming in the mail, and also a little mouse adaptor so I can use the tablet without touching the screen. But I'll have a go a saving the file.

                        One other thing to note, make sure you check the voltage of your car charger, the standard microusb chargers for cars are for mobile phones, so they require less juice. It'll still charge, but it'll take twice as long.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          kind of off topic, but i recently picked up a kindle fire(not the HD version) and the stock screen is starting to bother me.. where did you find the info to root it? i'm new to the concept, but would like to learn as amazons idea of how i should use it has nothing to do with how i really use it..
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                          next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                            kind of off topic, but i recently picked up a kindle fire(not the HD version) and the stock screen is starting to bother me.. where did you find the info to root it? i'm new to the concept, but would like to learn as amazons idea of how i should use it has nothing to do with how i really use it..
                            Rooting them is pretty easy, but unless you want to play with more advanced parts of the tablet, it doesn't do much. What you want to do is flash it to a new rom (basically like upgrading from Vista - Win7). It's a new operating system that's simplified, without all the bloatware that usually comes with a tablet, you'll be able to upgrade it to have all the voice recognition too. So say "navigate to Adelaide", and it'll bring up all nagivation apps and do it automatically.

                            You can get the rooting information here:
                            http://rootkindlefire.com/category/kindle-fire-root/

                            And to flash to a new rom, go to here:
                            http://rootkindlefire.com/category/kindle-fire-roms/

                            It can be a little fiddly first time round, but follow the instructions and you'll be alright.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The kindle fire doesn't have a mic and i use the wall charger with a converter so it does charge fast.

                              For rooting and rom info go here
                              Never accept STOCK equipment.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X