Case: Generic Cheap case (free)
    Power: INverter
    Storage: ~20 gig
    Sound: Sound Blaster Live

Information Sources:
    http://www.mp3car.com

Pictures:

Here is the layout of my lcd. Its a 9 inch wide screen vga

Here is the place I'm making a console for. It was a little self I took out to make some room.

Stage 1 of console. Everything done out of wood

Stage 2 of the console. Here the frame is completed

my helper

console in the car with the LCD attached.

Here is the console and lcd in my apartment hooked up to the computer. It is taken with a bad camera so the screen looks blurry.

For more pics and better res pics goto

www.zcentric.com/~mike/mp3

I just have to vinyl the console and do some touchup work so hopefully it will look a lot better. Looks very ghetto now.

My task was to make a console that I could just pop right out and make my truck look stock again. SO hopefully it'll be a success.
    '98 Explorer Sport
    http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done

Looks great dude, looks like your headed in the right direction. I like the way you have it so tha you can use it in car or home, very nice touch. Keep up the good work,

Reggie

Oh by the way, cool little helper.
    http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2045209

Comment

Man, that's a friggin sweet lcd...Nice set up.

Comment

looking good . nice lcd
        www.sounddomain.com/id/2000mp3ranger

Mp3 player - 10.4 Allbrite Gigabyte GA-71XEH , 700 mgz t-bird , coolmaster fan , 2x 128 ram + 1 512ram , ATI-RAEON RV100 ,on bd sound , Linksys Wireless-B usb network adapter , 20G IBM TRAVELSTAR

Comment

wut lcd is that? HOw come you made the wood frame so wide, which in effect increased the "ghettoness". Great start though, hopefully the vinyl'd finished product will blend in a bit more with your center console in your car
          HI!

Comment

HeyMan, I wanted something I could just pop right out and make it look stock again. Also I needed it bigger to place the controller in the back and still be able to hook up the lcd. I'm hoping the vinyl makes it look a lot better.
            '98 Explorer Sport
            80% done

Comment

I was at that stage a few months ago, I had a wooden frame with a 7" widescreen LCD and tried a few ways of covering the wood to make it look stock.

I tried some thin vinyl... that didn't work out, I was able to see every single bump.

I then tried putting the vinyl on top of some cardboard, and then cutting it to fit the LCD, but that didn't work either.

The best solution I came up with was to go buy a 50cents tile from HOME DEPOT and paint it using special KRYLON plastic paint. Looks great in the car.

Comment

You need some foam padding/headliner material between the vinyl and the wood if you dont want to be able to see all the imperfections. If you sand down/fill the plywood, you would probably just be able to cover it. Someone had a similarly rough frame in a 325i? and covered it in headliner material and then vinyl, and it looked quite good.
                -Nick

Comment

ya i'm gonna use some 3M foam between the wood and the vinyl.. i'm also gonna get the really high grade stuff.
                  '98 Explorer Sport
                  80% done

Comment

haha, talk about ghetto.... you should see my setup. Its almost just like yours!!! i'll post up pics this week
                    MP3 GT

Comment

It was a 320i ... but yes, headliner material was super cheap from my upholstry shop, mostly because it was leftover ... scrap piece in an irregular size .. I bet you could get it for free. Try not to go too thick with foam. Just enough to smooth out bumps and get a 'soft' touch to everything. I redid my console .. check it out for the look..

-Brad
                      83 mp320i 285k

Originally posted by MP3DUB
                      You need some foam padding/headliner material between the vinyl and the wood if you dont want to be able to see all the imperfections. If you sand down/fill the plywood, you would probably just be able to cover it. Someone had a similarly rough frame in a 325i? and covered it in headliner material and then vinyl, and it looked quite good.
                      -Brad
                      83 mp320i
                      99 mp323i
                      _________

7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

Comment

Looks good. I've got a boston terrier too (only a puppy though)!
                        CarPC:
                        Asus TUSI-M Running Celeron 1ghz, GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI, Onboard Sound, 10Gb drive (getting a bigger drive soon), 256SDRAM, 40x cd rom (dvd soon), IBM netvista case, windows xp, waiting on LCD screen.

Comment

hey hijinks21

how did you set the resolutions on your lcd?
                          i just got same lcd as yours...
                          i can not set the resolution right...
                          anyone know how to get resolution set to 1024x512?

thanks in advanced...

Comment

ipal, you need to use a video card that'll support custom resolutions or one with a driver that has 16:9 support. I use a radeon card. Also the nvida cards support it to since i've used one in the past.

I used powerstrip to set the custom res
                            '98 Explorer Sport
                            80% done

Comment

I saw this asked earlier, but saw no answer. What screen is that, and where did you get it????
                              Thanks for the reply
                              Ryan
                              Just getting started........

Comment

Working...
                              X