Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 CarPC in Camry 2009

Hello All,

After few weekends, lot of motivation and help, We have reached the first milestone:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CarPC Desktop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	2311018

Frontend (at least for now):

Name:	CarPC FE.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	2311019

The control panel:

1. Momentary switch is connected to tablet. It can switch on off tablet, it can put table to sleep and also switch off the display (while just listening to music).
    2. Switch1 can switch off amplifier even when the acc is on.
    3. Switch2 can switch off DC-DC converter even when the acc is on.
    4. USB HUB 1 with switches for each port.

Name:	Control panel and USB hub 1.jpg
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	2311020

Truck View:

Name:	Trunk view.jpg
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	2311021

GPS:

Name:	gps.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2311022

GMPC:

Name:	CarPC Gmpc.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2311023

GMPC and Music Split screen:

Name:	CarPC Split Gmpc music.jpg
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	2311024

I would like to thank rray for his help. He worked with me through out the development.

There is still some more work pending:

1. Steering wheel control integration
    2. Rear view camera
    3. ODB cable
    4. Need to redo the wrapping of HVOC control - I was not able to cut right size circles

Pkaush

Looking very nice!!

Comment

Very nice

What tablet are you using ?

Comment

looking very nice.

Consider using here maps instead of garmin it is free and runs as an app in windows 8.1.

What tablet are you using?

Comment

I am using Dell Venue 8 pro - battery life is great, so I can just keep it on all the time.

Oh yeah, I am planning to move to HERE maps, they are much better. I just updated to Windows 8.1 update 1 yesterday. Also, I think, it is easier to operate a metro app while in the car than a traditional app. May be because they are build for touch.

Comment

Install looks excellent! If you have current maps in GMPC, it's hard to beat for north america navigation, I'd leave it alone. It's not just the maps either, a bad routing engine can make the guidance very frustrating to follow and Garmin has the best I've ever used.
            My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Though, I am not going to throw it, but I believe it is not even up to the par with Garmin Nuvi. I have a 2595lmt and think that has many more features than gmpc.

Is there a way to integrate traffic info in gmpc through internet? On my daily commute I use Google maps, it keeps changing direction based on traffic. So, even if it shows a different route while starting, it will change it on the fly (without asking me) based on the traffic. I hope that saves me sometime.

My current gmpc doesn't display speed limit, I think I am missing something in settings.

Comment

I can't comment on the addition features like speed, traffic etc. as all I need is for the maps to be accurate and the routing engine to be efficient. It wouldn't surprise me if GMPC can't access any online features being it was cancelled a couple of years ago and the servers in accessed turned off.
                My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

The vinyl work came out very nice Puneet! It all came together very professional looking.

-Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert!

Comment

Originally posted by hemandk View Post
                      looking very nice.

Consider using here maps instead of garmin it is free and runs as an app in windows 8.1.

What tablet are you using?
                      hemandk - does HERE maps on Windows 8.1 support voice guided navigation. It gives directions, but I didn't see navigation.

Comment

Here is the day we put in the door speakers and the off axis dash tweeters:

Passenger door:

Driver Door:

Laser Cut MDF Tweeter Mount Top:

Tweeter Mount Bottom:

Tweeter Installed:

Comment

very nice install. that's gotta be the best looking center console in any camry on the street. guess now I know why rray doesn't have time to help me with my dev. lol.

Comment

Impressive!!

Gotta hand it to you, the 6.75" speaker set that you have looks good on that setup!!
                            And yes @rray, the vinyl did come out very well.

As far as GMPC/Here Drive+ goes, I have used Here Drive+ from my Nokia Lumia 1520; and it's not bad at all. And the fact I get those three beeps when I pass the speed limit never ceases to amaze me! I stress the Drive+ because I think it's that app that gives the turn by turn directions. If it recognizes the GPS receiver, you're good to go! Otherwise, you will be giving up traffic, speed limits and live feeds on GMPC, which is still my go-to app for GPS.

I'm currently working to replace my rear view camera as well; and may end up doing a USB connection for my OBD-II scanner (I have bluetooth currently, and it plays nice on my Lumia, and my fiance's Galaxy; but not the Mac). So I'm curious to see what you go.

Keep it up!!
                            All systems are a go...
                            Currently in "tweaking" mode.

The Worklog

Comment

Thanks Project07MACry!!

We have added joycon and now the steering wheel control switches can control the tablet.

We also tried lazer cutting the circles in vinyl for the temperature control nobs. I will take few new pics and post them.

Comment

Working...
                              X